Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Cold Cases
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-10-2006, 03:09 AM   #1
casemon

There is an old DOS shareware game that i bought a demo of with my new 486 DX-33, but for the last 10 years or so cannot remember the name of it to save my life. Would love to find it and play it again (would recognize it if i saw a screenshot).

It had a simple wipeout-like craft that you controlled in a room with boxes floating in the air. You controlled the rotation then gave it spurts of acceleration. It felt like an early polygon game, but I cannot be sure; flat shaded graphics, and pretty colorful; i remember pastels. Perspective was either 1st or 3rd person just behind the craft (again, memory is a little fuzzy).

The objective was give spurts of acceleration and be facing in the right direction such that you navigate your ship to the other boxes (sometimes in another room connected to the starting room) without falling. Some boxes were above, some below. I remember there were also some power-ups, like diamonds or something. And maybe enemies that flew around.

It was back in 94 or so, early VR days. Please help identify this game, it is driving me crazy!
casemon is offline                         Send a private message to casemon
Old 02-10-2006, 07:44 AM   #2
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Apart from the boxes bit, it sounds like Descent.
Old 23-10-2006, 10:02 PM   #3
casemon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom Henrik @ Oct 2 2006, 09:44 AM) [snapback]258781[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Apart from the boxes bit, it sounds like Descent.
[/b]
yeah, it kind of does, but definitely is not (loved Descent btw!) In this game I'm looking for, the ship was in a room and there were platforms and the ship couldn't really fly by itself, you had to move it to the next platform and some moved and some gave you a means to jump.

The crafts actually looked a little like the decent / wipeout crafts, but this game i'm trying to find came years before... think DOS around the wolf3d days.

Would really like to find this little game. Anyone?
Old 24-10-2006, 03:30 AM   #4
leileilol
Forum hobbit

It can't be the usual Skyroads isn't it?
leileilol is offline                         Send a private message to leileilol
Old 24-10-2006, 05:17 AM   #5
caracol

Could it be Tube?
caracol is offline                         Send a private message to caracol
Old 24-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #6
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

I would bet on "Skyroads" too... BTW, here's the link for it, so you can check some screenshots...
Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek
Old 09-11-2006, 10:49 AM   #7
casemon

No it's not Tube (cool looking game tho) and it's not Skyroads. Skyroads is probably the closest in visuals (simple / flat shading) except the gameplay takes place in little rooms not out in space.

If it helps, this was a little shareware game, not a big epic game (no pun intended). I don't remember there being a big UI but I could be wrong.
Old 21-11-2006, 07:16 AM   #8
grigoryefimovich
Lurker

Could this possibly have been released for the Atari Jaguar as well? I remember playing something very much like what you're describing on a Jaguar at college. This was in fall 1994-1995. We usually stuck with Aliens vs Predator but I remember a game just like you describe, it was set in a valley and was a demo because it was just flying around a valley collecting spinning cubes mostly using acceleration, and the cubes were at different heights. The controls seemed inverted to us. It struck me as a proof-of-concept thing. I wouldn't be surprised if it was released to multiple platforms to showcase the graphics capability. Is this the right time period?

Man it's been awhile, and I don't see anything listed like that on the websites I checked. This was the only Jaguar I remember seeing, so I don't have any personal sources to check on this. I'd check with the guy who owned the system, but he moved back to Turkey (read: overstayed his student visa and was caught up in the post- 9/11 crackdown) and I haven't had contact with him since.
grigoryefimovich is offline                         Send a private message to grigoryefimovich
Old 25-11-2006, 11:59 PM   #9
casemon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grigory @ Nov 21 2006, 09:16 AM) [snapback]267912[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
it was set in a valley and was a demo because it was just flying around a valley collecting spinning cubes mostly using acceleration, and the cubes were at different heights.[/b]
Sounds like a different game , there were no valleys only "rooms". Unless I mistook the valley sky as a backwall for a room (possible!). But i don't think so, as I remember there were door portals to other rooms.

Quote:
Is this the right time period? [/b]
Time period that I picked up this game was about the same time the 486DX2-66 was released; i bought the DX-33 the same month the DX2-66 was released and got a shareware copy of this game at the same time. That was about March 1992 according to Wikipedia.

Quote:
Could this possibly have been released for the Atari Jaguar as well?[/b]
I don't know, as I only played Jaguar at a friend's house. I suppose it is possible it was released for PC and later for the Jaguar (Jaguar was 1994, this game was around 1992).