Thread: Applications?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 08:08 AM   #1
Alkarion

While the games collection of abandonia is certainly excellent, I'd like to see some DOS apps as well. The interest for apps seems to be very low in the whole abandonware scene and with the arrival of DOSBOX many apps seem to be superfluous.

But if you want to have the authentic "old school experience" and want to set up a legacy computer many of those old apps would come in handy. Besides the most popular ones like MS-DOS 6.22 though, these old apps are really hard to find. Perhaps some are already lost, which would be a shame.

The site Dan's 20th Century Abandonware gives a good overview of the DOS apps which should be preserved and made available. I know most users may not be interested in these apps and some would be very hard if not impossible to come by. But would it not be challenging to set up a comprehensive archive of such hard-to-come-by-software?

If everyone (active in computing since the '80s) searched his old 5.25" floppy archive, I'm sure a lot of old apps could be found. Well, I'd like to hear what you think about this.
Alkarion is offline                         Send a private message to Alkarion