Thread: Vlaams Blok
View Single Post
Old 13-03-2005, 01:56 PM   #6
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

What annoys me most about the Cordon Sanitaire, is the reason why the other political parties created it in the first place. Not because they were worried about an undemocratic party seizing power (besides, though I don't agree with most of their ideas, how undemocratic would they be when they were elected? :crazy: ). The main reason was that they wanted to keep Vlaams Blok (as it was called back then) out as much as possible, afraid of losing their own seats.

There are hardly any politicians left, either left or right wingers, who I would respect. Like Stroggy said, the ones currently in power are a bunch of complete idiots (though those are my words ), caring more about how to fill their pockets and petty political manoeuvres than anything else.
I also think a lot of the Vlaams Blok/ Vlaams Belang votes could be taken from them by a party -whether left or right- that put more effort into solving those problems.
People in Belgium, especially most politicians, are too afraid of sounding/looking like a right winger. Just look at some Scandinavian countries for example, while they have a strict immigration policy, they send a lot of financial help to poor countries, to help preventing the unbridled immigration.

As for Wormpaul's question, who knows? I *think* they're trying to gain enough votes to get a mayor somewhere (probably Antwerp), though they could as well continue like they've always done. Because indeed, it's easier to criticize from the side line (enough "targets" to find!) than to do things right yourself. Though I keep saying, the currently ruling parties are total fools, it would in fact be hard to do things worse than them. :ranting: