View Single Post
Old 26-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default UPDATE

Playing Trilogy-Weidu (no BG2 fixpack):

Sex: Choose male for getting layed by a drow in the Underdark, otherwise noeffect

Race: Half Orc for stat benefits

Stats:
Str: max
Dex: max
Con: max
Int: 7 is bare minimum for Mind Flayers, 10 is to get no loss of Lore (like you'd ever have enough lore to identify magic items by yourself), 13 is safety against Mind Flayers (bare 2 hits). 9 is minimum to use wands. Keep in mind you'll find a tome for this, so settle either 6 or 8-9 or 12.
Wands to use: Wand of Magic Missile, Wand of Sleep, Wand of Wonders, Wand of Cursing
Wis: 10 eliminates penalty on Lore. Magic Defense does not exist in the game, and you find 3 tomes during your adventures. But remember you will loose a statpoint (int/con/dex/wis) at the Final Dream (where you fight "Sharevok"), soadd 1 more either here or for intelligence. Safer to substract from here, so minimum should be 10 or 8. With 10 you avoid ever having penalty on Wisdom, and at the beginning you might be able to identify thus some minor stuff by yourself and spare some gold.
Cha: while w/o Bg1 it can be neglected entirely, WITH BG1 you better go for a minimum of 8 if you think the manual is correct, or 10 if you think outside sources (eg. BG-wiki) is correct.
---------
How many statpoints are these? Well, to have a character worth starting, have so many points if you distribute it evenly all stats would be 13. If you want a good character, have stats evenly distributed making 14 each. To have a REALLY GOOD character have even more.
My "minimum perfect" character looks like this at the start:
19/18/19/12/10/10, which is 14 evened score + 4.

Proficiencies:
Start BG1 with Bastard Swords and Longbows. Bows rule BG1 and can be started with from Candelkeep (the return-to-hand throwing axe comes late), and while there are +1 for all weapons it rarely goes beyond that.
Lategame proficiencies are suggested: 2 bastard swords (against BG1's shapeshifters and BG2's Fallen Deva), 2 longbows, 1-2 mace (for Mace of Disruption), 3 two weapon style. Optional but good choices in addition: 2 axes, 2 longsword (Angurvadal). This still leaves 2-3 more points to spend on whatever.
But keep in mind that in BG1 there is a level cap, which'll limit you for that part with 6 points and we already spent 4. I suggest starting to develop Two Weapon Style right in BG1 even though you should use shields during it.

Alignment: any of the three evil. Keep in mind that the first two baalspawn-abilities are better with evil reputation. The bad side is you won't get the +1 dagger at the start, the good you'll have big use of the Human Skin Armour in BG2.

----------

Detailed playthrough (parts which you won't find in the walkthroughs):

Candlekeep: it is safe to bash locks if noone can see you. Grab the extra money. You start with a quarterstaff which you should hold (unless youfind a club) until you find enchanted weapons as it being wooden won't break. When buying equipment the absolute must is a composite bow with arrows. Lots of arrows. Than depending on your money left (initial gold being random and all) you can choose an armor, shield, helmet and bastard sword. As leather armor is very cheap and others are very expensive I'd go with sword, helm, shield, and spend what remains on the armor (I could afford studded leather).

Area E of Candlekeep: Imoen force-joins you so rob her blind.

S of Friendly Arm Inn: go and kill the ogre for Belt of Piercing - best belt in BG1 - after finding the Ring of Protection +1.

Friendly Arm Inn: HEAL before you face the ambush, and kill the local hobgoblins but do NOT give the flamdance ring to Joya before gaining your first ability! The only reason to go for Minor Heal instead of Larchor's Drain is a quest in BG 2, and that only needs 1, which can even be cast from item, and LD means awesome for being offensive in a place where noone (neither you nor the enemy) has many HP. Another factor to consider is the lack of healing spells and regeneration-items in BG1 for the favour of minor heal, while the chance to interrupt mages' casting with Larchor's. I'd still get Larchor as first ability for the sole purpose of avoiding the need lowering reputation.
You also should have enough money to buy a Splint Mail. Normally I wouldn't waste money on such trivia, but lowlvl in AD&D means grab your chances.

Beregost: here we learn childs can't call the authority. In the house leftmost in the quarter with the Jovial Juggler (best inn, buys everything except books) on the first floor one of the chest is trapped (so go there with good health).
To dispose Silke you can do it at lvl 3, healed up, and the potion of invisibility from the Manor House gives the extra niche you just need.
Sell your Ring of Wizardry here (identify in the Temple if you did not do so before), and buy bastard sword +1. Now you can stop worrying about breaking equipment or magic immun monsters,

Nashkel: the local assassin has a Helmet of Infravision. Better than plain helmet sure.

Carnival: buy the Necklace of Missiles

Nashkel Mines: from the local boss get the Boots of Grounding. Unfortunately soloing you won't be able to bring out all loot,but you still should have plenty of coins anyway.

Nashkel: as now we have plenty of money after selling the equipment of the assassination-party (they're no problem if you're berserkering) buy a large shield +1. Oh, keep the Boots of Missile defense!
Also hop to the Carnival to buy the Amulet of Shield (useful against Magic Missiles).

Bandit Camp: Wear Boots of Missile Protection here. The mercs outside will likely harm you a lot,but fortunately some Potion of Firebreath can be found here -one single dose can clear out the main tent: aim it at the mage, and run to kill the hobgoblin archer.

Cloakwood Forest 1: Before you start consider you'll have to fight a boss-mage, traps, and spiders. So bring quit a lot of potions (eg. Potion of Invisibility,Freedom, Firebreath, Antidot,Absorption). Concentrate on the main quest and come back when it is done if you need to. Remember: being solo you don't need every bit of exp. Kill Aldeth for Bastard Sword +1, +3 vs Shapeshifters in this section, also the Cloak of Nondetection from the taslois.

Cloakwood Forest 2: Drink your Potion of Freedom after speaking with the child (free exp is good exp). Run to the Queen Spider's Lair, wait until all the minions are in one group, than use your second Firebreath Potion (found where the first) during your adventure. Hopefully this'll kill the majority of 'em. When all is silent get the Spider's Bane and run out of the area. Do NOT fight the spiders outside as they are strong and constantly respawn. Stop to pass down the body.

Cloakwood Mine Exterior: I swear this game has some kind of boots-fetish. The assassination-attempt (have good HP, also drink a Potion of Speed before starting) which happens when you step through the gate of the mine provides you the continuously useful Boots of Speed.
99% of chance you'll run out of HP here, so store your backpack-stuff in a stash, grab some loot-to-sell, run back to the Friendly Arm, patch up (again annoying you can't buy fullheals) and come back. It is quite a distance in ingame hours, so don't forget to sleep. Oh, and don't forget to buy possible ALL potion of Healing from the local church (why isn't it a secular hospital?).
Lastly: with the Potion of X Giant Strength brought by the assassins you can bash open the chest in the barrack which has a Potion of Magic Blocking. As the potion lasts for a long time suggested to do this when you arrive back helaed.

Cloakwood Mine lvl2: There'll be fighting a horde. First: if you're lucky the lightning trap along the way will hurt some of them. Second: they tend to bunch up along the corridor. If you have a Potion of Fireball (or wassissname) from the Bandit Camp that can ease your life a lot.

Cloakwood Mine lvl3: Another big fight happens. Just do a rage and you 1HKO the people. Focus on the archers, than get use of the nearby thin passage. There is a ~temple (of evil) along this corridor which has 2 healing potions, so visit it.

Cloakwood Mine lvl4: Now this is a though level. First, kill the initial guard WITH BOW. You can't afford to loose HP against him. Second you loot until you find a Potion of Cold Resistance. Third drink all these potions, in this order: cold resistance, heroism, invulnerability. Now you are ready to face the two battle horrors ONE BY ONE. If both comes after you - reload. Watch out to not loose too many HP against them - although you'll miss quite a lot anyway. They are immun tp piercing damage, so don't waste arrows. They also cause randomly either fire or cold damage (hence the resist potion),and they have very good stats anyway. I was lvl 7 when facing them.
The local sub-boss isn't THAT hard if you know what you'r doing. First drink a potion of Magick Blocking. This both saves you from any negative effect, AND reduces damage from that Fireball spell he'll throw at you. Throw a Potion of Explosion on him which main function is to cripple his Mirror Image spell and cast his second. Focus on HIM, and between swinging your sword cast Magic Missiles from wand to get rid of his Mirror Images. When he's down start to run around, away from any summoned creature (which can be disposed by arrows).

Last edited by twillight; 28-09-2015 at 09:34 AM.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight