View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldaraia View Post
Nah, I only got a 2.4ghz single-core processor, so I don't see the CPU being the problem. I usually have to crank the cycles up to about 5000 to get the game going in good playable speed, though the confg does mention that too high of a speed causes lag, I dunno if this lag is capable of causing the keyboard to become unresponsive until I alt-tab back to DOSBOX.

Currently I've got the output mode set to 'ddraw' with the aspect set to 'true', the scaler being set to 'supereagle forced'. Both the cores and cycles are set to auto as well. I suppose I can lower the cycles below the default 3000 to see what good it will do.

EDIT: CPU spikes that cause DOSBOX to momentarily lag, should these lags ever be capable of temporarily disabling keyboard input? I've decided to give DNII another try and set the cycles to 4000 and I got a wonderful 20 minutes of playtime in before the lag happened again. I'm guessing somewhere around 3500-4000 is the sweet spot for this game if the cycles are to blame. Should DOSBOX usually be ran without any other programs running?
Set the CPU cycles to 10.000 or 15.000 instead of auto, with the processor you mentioned it should be no problem, and the option auto not always works well. What you need is more cycles, not less than 3000. Also try setting the core to core=dynamic, with auto it happens to be set to normal, and that is slower.
Vga isn't a valid option for machine, try vgaonly or svga_s3 as suggested by DosBox itself.

See if all that above will be of any help. Good luck.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty