View Single Post
Old 29-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #27
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunvagy View Post
Right, bashing time then. First, not everybody is a powergaming munchkin. Second, kmonster is right, the standard AD&D party is fighter,cleric,mage,thief. Since IWD offers 6 slots, I'd say two mages and a second fighter class (ranger, paladin). Third, last to my knowledge, IWD balances too, enemies have less hp and don't use all spells on lower levels. Fourth: they are not cheated. It's called DMs option. The NPCs in a campaign aren't rolled, they are created to provide a challenge. Just because your chargen doesn't allow for those stats statistically, calling it cheating is pretty detrimental. Fifth, there is a reason why single class is preferred in AD&D. You have to be one of the nonhuman races to multiclass, and if you check xp and progression tables, all nonhumans have caps on certain classes. Not a quote, but if I recall correctly, the elven thief goes only to level 8 or 9. Which means even IF Icewind Dale would go to the epics, your elven mage/thief would be royally screwed, because it can only take 8 thief levels. And in a campaign that has traps for lvl30-40 thieves, she wouldn't be able to disable jackshit. Not to mention the little fact, that your all powerful fighter/thief you send to the front lines has to wear leather armor, or take off that full plate every time it spots a trap to disable it.
1) There are not enough scrolls for two mages in IWD.
2) It is not "powrgaming" to use minimal common sense.
3) The characters in question are not "statistically impossible". +100 thief skills compared to the maximum avaiable points (same level, same race etc.) for example is definitly "cheating".
4) What the *bleep* was that after "Fifth ..."?