View Single Post
Old 29-08-2011, 05:49 AM   #25
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillight View Post
First: most people do bother to reroll at least a dozen times, and rearrange stats.
Second: the BG-series offers an adventage to the player: it balances the difficulty adjusted to the player's level - not a feature IWD has.
Third: yoga a lot of times only barely strougled through BG.
Fourth: the pre-generated characters (what comes with the game officially) are actually cheated (they have much better stats then you'd have by rolling the characters yourself).
Right, bashing time then. First, not everybody is a powergaming munchkin. Second, kmonster is right, the standard AD&D party is fighter,cleric,mage,thief. Since IWD offers 6 slots, I'd say two mages and a second fighter class (ranger, paladin). Third, last to my knowledge, IWD balances too, enemies have less hp and don't use all spells on lower levels. Fourth: they are not cheated. It's called DMs option. The NPCs in a campaign aren't rolled, they are created to provide a challenge. Just because your chargen doesn't allow for those stats statistically, calling it cheating is pretty detrimental. Fifth, there is a reason why single class is preferred in AD&D. You have to be one of the nonhuman races to multiclass, and if you check xp and progression tables, all nonhumans have caps on certain classes. Not a quote, but if I recall correctly, the elven thief goes only to level 8 or 9. Which means even IF Icewind Dale would go to the epics, your elven mage/thief would be royally screwed, because it can only take 8 thief levels. And in a campaign that has traps for lvl30-40 thieves, she wouldn't be able to disable jackshit. Not to mention the little fact, that your all powerful fighter/thief you send to the front lines has to wear leather armor, or take off that full plate every time it spots a trap to disable it.