View Single Post
Old 28-06-2011, 06:14 AM   #1
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Default Steam appreciation thread

I feel Steam is not getting the love from Abandonia. In fact, its still pretty much disgust, fear and hatred for some reason. For those people who still think like that, I advice pulling their head out of the ground, because, simply put, Steam is awesome!

Yeah, I didn't like Steam first place. It was heavy, clunky and it ate quite a lot of RAM. That was over 2 years ago though, and my quantity of ram has quadrupled. Not to mention it has been improved over the years and it runs great for me at least.

However, the real gold is the games available and the prices. I realized around January that my Visa works on Steam and as of today, I've made 19 purchases (Plus Mount & Blade Warband, but that was offline purchase), all of which were easy to purchase and couple of which were ridiculously cheap. Hell, If I didn't prefer hard copies over download-only, I'd probably own the entire Steams catalog of classics by now. Then there's the weekly deals, weekend deals, daily deals, Summer/Christmas sales....man those chew up people's bank account. A lot of times they offer whole bunch of games with the price of one.

Not to mention there is a great balanced selection of new games, old games and indy games. Steam has done a lot of good for the independent gaming scene (check out the Portal 2's potato sale, where bunch of indy games were brought together to promote Portal 2). It even managed to save Introversion (Makers of Darwinia, Uplink and Defcon) from the brink of bankrupt.

You have to be online to use it? So what! If you cant go online then play something else. "But oooh, its DRM and I hate DRM!" Oh just shut it and show some trust to a developer for a change, rather than taking your time to torrent everything. GOG has better selections and is DRM free? Maybe, but that depends on point of view. GOG is pretty much for old-school lovers. As for DRM.....well, lets just say GOG's games are popular downloads at Underground Gamer.

So get into program and learn to love Steam! It is worth it.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen