Thread: Ultima Online
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
kalron

I love UO...played it for a couple of years during the Second Age. That is actually where my screen name comes from...Kalron Grand Master Warrior. It was great for awhile when I had several friends playing, we would go out and have a blast. Things got old and we all stopped playing around the same time. I ended by career in UO by becoming the one thing I hated most...a PK'r. As time has passed, I think the PK aspect of UO was actually what made the game so great. Having to worry about your stuff and getting ganked outside of town added something to the game that is missing in all modern MMORPG games lack, a sense of reality. Over time you learned how to deal with them, how to hide, and eventually how to fight back and win. The thrill of the battle with another player was intense and actually had some worth...you could keep their $hit!

I played on an emulated shard several years ago and eventually created my own with RunUO. My old friends joined me and we had the world at our disposal w/out PK'rs...however, as I stated, this actually lessened the thrill of the game.

BEST MOMENT IN GAME...

...after they introduced the "Treasure Maps" that could be found by fishing, many individuals started macroing fisherman inside towns. They would just stand there and fish away. One thing I always hated were macro-ers so I took it upon myself to pass judgment. They would usually put themselves on the outskirts of towns to GMs would not catch them, and usually out of range of any guards.

I created a character that had a high theft rating and hiding as well as a greatly poisoned dagger. I would walk up to one of these possible macro-ers and start talking to them. After a few minutes of no replays I would snoop their stuff to see if they had any maps...if they did...stabby stabby stabby. I collected at least 7-10 maps through this method until those b@stards caught on and starting macroing saying "guards" in their sequence. Treasure hunting was a great group event, and it took a lot of skill to pull it off. Much more fun than raiding in WoW (tried it once, I despised it completely)

I might actually have to check out this new shard which you speak of chainsoar...if I enter, i might look you up.