View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

freyja on facebook: (i think she forgot her ab password)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freyja
09 July at 15:26
This connection sucks.

Anyways.

Things to do in Iceland... well... there's a lot to do and see!
I'm right now in the most beautiful place in the world, Breiðavík. It's in the western fjords, close to Látrabjarg which is an awesome cliff with puffins, it's the westerrnmost part of Iceland. Many people say it's the westernmost part of Europe, but that's a misunderstanding, that's in the Azores. Anywho. There's a really great hotel here, owned by my aunt incidentally. I recommend it, there's also a camping site. There's a white beach and stuff.

The western fjords in general are really pretty, especially when I'm around. I'm joking. Or am I?

Then there's the Borgarfjörður area, it's in western Iceland but more south than the fjords. It's really cool, some awesome waterfalls and stuff.

Then... the southern/south-eastern part is also really beautiful. I'm actually going there in August with some foreign friends of mine. Vík í Mýrdal (Reynisdrangar), Seljalandsfoss, Jökulsárlón (they've filmed some james bond stuff there), Höfn í Hornafirði, etc. Oh, and Eyjafjallajökull is there

Now, northern Iceland. Mývatn is awesome. It's a big lake, and there's also a lagoon there similar to the Blue Lagoon but they say it's less touristy. I haven't been there in years, unfortunately. Akureyri is a great town, got a nice vibe to it. They say they've got the best ice cream in iceland there, I'm gonna try it when I go there in september - I'm actually moving to a place not too far away from Akureyri!

Omg I can't believe I almost forgot Vestmannaeyjar. I can't remember when Swiss said he'd be in Iceland, but if he'll be there around 30th of july, I'd definitely recommend trying to get tickets to Vestmannaeyjar. There's a huge party going on there during the weekend, with tens of thousands of people and lots of bands and lots of alcohol and lots of tents. Really cool. And in general it's a pretty neat place, with puffins (yay!) and stuff. I like it there.

I'm not very familiar with eastern Iceland, I'm afraid, but it's beautiful and stuff. Like the rest.

Now, Reykjavík... if Swiss is interested in history, there's a pretty cool museum in Perlan. It's a bit like madam tussouds (sp?) but portrays the history of Iceland. Guests get headphones and they pick a language, then walk between different scenes from the history. It's pretty awesome, imo!
Then there's a pretty cool museum by the uni campus, Þjóðminjasafnið. It's got old stuff.

Kolaportið is a market by the harbour that's open in the weekends, you can find anything there. Also dried fish, which is yummy. Just don't forget the Smjör.

I could keep on forever... you can pass on my email address, [in a pm] and I'll try to answer if he's got any further questions

Fre