Thread: Civilization
View Single Post
Old 28-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
oh and i recently installed latest patch on Civ3 and there too the weak units of oldancient times can win over a tank (even over modern armour). you need to put them in a city though and probably if they have some other bonues. sucks IMO.
Well, Spearmen have a defense rating of 2. The first tank you can build have an offensive capability of 16 (from memory).

The Spearman get a bonus of 50% from being fortified. Another bonus from being fortified in a city. Another 100% bonus if there is a city defense inside. Another 2 defense bonus if there is a radio tower in range... Another bonus if you try to attack a unit which is sitting on the other side of a river (etc)... And, from experience, Spearmen also have a defensive bonus against fast units.

So, if you add all this together... Your defense 2 unit end up with a huge defensive number. And, again from experience, in Civ III when you attack with anything less than at least twice the number the defensive unit have then every battle is a jeopardy...

What really plagued all Civ games up to now is the incredibly dumb RNDs. There is nothing more frustrating than to see a tank fight a musketman, get the defensive unit down to one health and then lose all its HP in one go. That's why I love armies: they simply can't lose.