View Single Post
Old 22-12-2004, 02:42 AM   #13
Jupiter

Well, I think before we go any farther, perhaps I should give a better idea of what games I like and play. My BIGGEST worry is having a machine that will run too fast making a game unplayable. The following list is an array of games I've either played and really like or would really like to play:

#1. Adventure Games: Lucas Arts and Sierra feature predominately on my list as you will see:

Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island, LeChuck's Revenge (I think that's what MI2 is called...)
Loom
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Space Quest (never played em, REALLY WANT TO) (VGA version)
Leisure Suit Larry (VGA version)
Zak McCracken and the Alien Mind Benders
Full Throttle

#2. Space Flight Simulations: Origin is the only one to really capture my interest:

Wing Commander
Wing Commander: Secret Missions
Wing Commander 2
Wing Commander 3
Wing Commander 4 (My Favourite)

#3. First Person Shooters:

Doom
Doom2

That's about it. Not many others have as of yet, to catch my interest, which isn't to say they won't. This is the list, however, that I'm aiming my DOS machine at. The list is, of course, in order of preference. The Monkey Island games are and probably always will be my favourite computer games of all time. (Certainly adventure games anyway...Favourite of all time might be Half-Life or Half-Life 2...) My tastes on consoles are very different...RPG all the way!

It was asked also if I would be using Windows 3.x. You know, it never occured to me if I would or not. I would probably think not...maybe opting for something more akin to Norton Commander.

As I said above. I would like to make a machine that could play all of the above games flawlessly. I ran into the problem of my machine being too fast for Wing Commander Privateer 2 (a win95 game!) and Wing Commander 4 did some funny stuff for me too...I think it was running too fast too...I have a...a thing about CPU throttlers so I'm not sure I consider them an option. Whether they harm my computer or not isn't an issue. I just have a -er- thing with them. They bother me. Hehe. So far, the system specs have been altered to:

Pentium 75-100Mhz (probably 90)
RAM: 640k + 32-64Megs
CD-ROM: 8-32x
Video Card: Currently Unknown...going to research the Cirrus Logic...
HDD: 600Mb-2Gigs
Sound: Sound Blaster 16 (compatibility > awe midi reproduction)

:bye:

Jupiter
Jupiter is offline                         Send a private message to Jupiter