Thread: Theme Park
View Single Post
Old 19-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #12
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold View Post
One of the most important pc videogame in history

The only fault is that this game was unstable in some dos system expecially if it was played with lowest memory, suddenly generating macroscopical "dos4gw error".

I will never understand how could it be that no videogame house generate other's version like this one. Theme park world was below the quality and it's unplayable on winxp. Sim theme park was a truly failure. Then, nothing else.

I will never understand how it is possible that the publishers of video games lose time to create the thousandth fps shooter and have no desire to develop the heirs of a so important game. It's a shame.
FPS games can be made by the numbers. Provide enemies, provide weapons, tadaa, you're done. A strategy game is a lot harder to make since you need to work on a balance so that the game is neither too hard or too easy.

Theme Park, however, did more than that. It had charm like few other games managed to achieve and for a strategy game, this was unseen! Theme Hospital had a similar but ultimately different charm but it showed that Bullfrog knew how to add some real atmosphere into a game. Dungeon Keeper did the same, after all!

I think that most developers these days are just incompetent in these areas. Most people may not realise, but the developing houses of old were talent 'traps' where musicians, artists, writers, etc. came together with an idea for a game. These days, it's mostly programmers and even more programmers. Sound & music is often outsourced to an out-side company, the art team are not as involved with the actual game and the result is nearly always a game that just doesn't involve you as much as the games of old. It's been proven many times over, that a small team is the best way to go about things.

Mollyneux said that the reason he left Bullfrog, was because it had grown too big to be able to still make the games he loved to make and it's a symptom that affected many other developers at the time.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar