Thread: OnLive
View Single Post
Old 26-03-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubler View Post
For that matter, bandwidth isn't exactly free or in limitless supply.
Last time I checked, it was several orders of magnitude cheaper than updating your hardware every few years. If your connection is good enough for high quality streaming video, it will do. (Note that most times the speed of streaming is capped by the server and not on your side; you can usually navigate elsewhere while you wait for the stream to download. Anyway the details about how many bits per second you need are available on their site; and if your connection is not good enough you just play the same game at lower resolution.)

The point is, no matter how sofisticated 3D games are, they always end up rendered as frames of images and sound. If this works, no matter how many years and years pass, you'll be able to play the newest high-end games in the same machine you have now.

They're not forcing anyone, it's just an option. Personally I'm always on sub-par hardware, I don't care because I don't play the newest games, but it's good to know that I'll be able to play any game at any time with a grossly outdated machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a44 View Post
it's just an alternative pocket console when while being in a hotel room u could just take it out of the pocket clip the controler and there u go.
That's one option if you prefer not to need a PC and plug it directly into your TV set. But you don't need that console, you can use it in your browser Flash plugin in your PC.