View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

^^ Perhaps you have a point. As for me, I used to sit in front of my C64 when I was 13-14, playing text adventures and flight sims. Later, I got an Amiga 500 and gone were the text adventures, and the flight sims both looked and felt better. Then I got a pc and now, well, new games hand everything to you on a plate. No longer do I have to use my imagination the same way I did before. When the only clue as to what the character was looking at in a txt, was a short desciption, I had to use my imagination. When enemy planes looked like 16-coloured dots and splodges on the monitor, I had to imagine them being "real" fighters. Now the fighters look pretty close to photo realistic, they no longer sound like someone is crumbling a paper bag, there's much less need to imagine.
Perhaps I no longer have the same imagination I used to have. Perhaps that's why games like The Hobbit to me are best left to memories.
Perhaps this is just a load of horsesh!t, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is one reasons many old gems to me are best when they're not played anymore.