Thread: Xcom Help!!!
View Single Post
Old 27-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by technophobe View Post
I downloaded X-com Enemy Unknown/UFO Defence. When I click on the Alien icon the screen goes black and after a short while a bar of garbled colours comes across the top of the screen, there is sound but you can't make out any images. Needless to say the program is useless. If I click on the yellow sun/star icon titled simply 'UFO' the game starts up and is playable until you intercept a crashed UFO which seems to be the signal for the game it's self to crash.
The game does that on certain machines. If it crashes every time like that, you will have to run the DOS version of the game using DOSBox - simply because there is no other option.

Quote:
I've no idea what a dosbox is, so I'm certain I must be running the Windows version.
A beginners guide to DOSBox, written by yours truly, should quickly get you past that misconception. :amused:

Quote:
Is DOS that scary black box which contains technical jargon?
Scary? Only if you never knew it. You won't be dealing with most of said "technical jargon" anyway.
Quote:
I don't like that, it looks too easy to break your computer by playing with that.
Just like _r.u.s.s. said, you won't be dealing with real DOS, so you won't risk anything.
Unless you're one of those people who format their hard drives when trying to unpack a file, in which case nobody here could help you anyway.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman