Thread: Save XP
View Single Post
Old 19-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #20
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

I mostly agree with the "Save XP" sentiment, but only because I will not buy Vista.

I used to work with Win2K and Win2003 Server in the office, but for the last 6 months or so my company decided to switch to Linux. I can't say I regret it, smart choice in my humble opinion. At work I nowadays use Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS on workstations, Red Hat and CentOS on servers. True, it takes some time to get used to, but once I got the hang of it I never want to go back to Windows (for work that is, for game is another point altogether).

I still use WinXP on my ancient laptop at home, only because it was an OEM version, and the cd-rom on that old machine has broken a few years ago (I'm too lazy to replace it, not to say that the sparepart may not be available anymore).

With keeping WinXP as my gaming platform, I might be missing out a lot of new games, specially if they are to be designed for Vista only. But for a guy like me, who as an Abandonia member mostly play DOS games (not to mention nowadays I am usually quite busy that I do not have time to play games as often as I used to have, you know: work, family, wife and daughter etc. that become my priority these days), I think I'm okay with WinXP, especially since I can also play DOS games with DOSBox in Linux, and few Windows games under Wine in Linux. For game outside PC, I ocasionally play games on PDA.

That, or buy PS3 in the future. Or perhaps Xbox. But then again, my priority is not really on game these days. Still, as I said I mostly agree with the "Save XP" sentiment.
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi