View Single Post
Old 30-08-2007, 11:52 AM   #16
Zaru
Abandonia nerd

As for the battle tactics, what I found efficient is to have your berserker selected as a leader enter every chamber as a first character and run fast to the opposite room's entrance where vile creatures may be expected to come from. If the chamber we're entering is a room with many entrances or it's a corridor with crossroads, quickly move your berserker to the middle of it.
If monsters start to pour into your party location, quickly enter berserker's rage and rally. Then switch to assassin and turn on hide in shadows. The last thing you do is disable runecaster's combat mode to prevent him from getting close to monsters. The faster you do that, the better outcome you may expect.
When an enemy gets into melee with your magic user, quickly destroy him with missile-damage (usually it's only a single enemy). When you encounter beholders (level 2 basement of the first city) make sure you kill as many minor enemies with missile-damage as possible. That will allow other party members to concentrate their attack on beholders thus eliminating them quickly from combat.

EDIT. I have managed to accumulate 4000 coins and bought the teleport rune. But apparently you cannot teleport into areas that are separated by water/walls and to which you do not have a direct access. So the idea of teleporting a party member to push that lever simply proved wrong. Maybe it is possible to create some kind of telekinesis spell? I don't know.

EDIT: When your characters reach level 2 of experience (berserker - level 3) I would greatly recommend to go outdoors to skirmish some enemy armies (only those under hawk banners). If you win such battle, you can scavenge some really fine equipment and a fine amount of cash. Till now I found a mithril: dagger, blade and helmet and three moon wands (I don't know what they do, though).

Well back to the riddle...
Shooting the rune with missile-damage reveals a floor tile with a skull on one of water tiles that I didn't notice until now. What is the purpose of this, I know not. I tried killing one of my characters on this tile and re-shooting the rune, I tried shooting the rune while one of my party members was standing on this tile (no effect). I tried dropping various items and using various magic on the tile. Nothing seems to work. Perhaps there is some kind of rune that is pictured by the sign of skull but, if it exists, it would probably cost more than 4000 (more than my party can afford right now).
Also, I have a silver key in my inventory and didn't find a door for it.

LIST OF MAGIC ITEMS (to save you all those trips to the Ancients):

Golden Helm: Forward-Damage
The Golden Helm item is quite a useful one. Although wearable only by berserker and troubadour and does not give any AC protection, it allows to damage enemies in front of the character (after it's used). It has ca. 30 charges.

Wands:
I guess all wands have around 21 magic charges. Wands can be used by runecaster only.
- Amber wand - Missile-Damage-Damage, launches firebolt with double damage.
- Moon wand - Surround-Thrall, makes surrounding monsters obedient.

Rings:
- Amber - Antimage
- Serpent - Heal
- Cloud - Teleport
- Sun - Regeneration

Potions:
- Serpent - Heal
- Golden - Regeneration
- Dragon - Regeneration-Speed-Antimagic
- Bronze - Speed
- Cloud - Teleport

(still updating)

EDIT: Corrected the issue with the amber wand.
Zaru is offline                         Send a private message to Zaru