View Single Post
Old 05-12-2006, 09:26 AM   #25
Taarna

[quote]
Quote:
Are you referring to the (C drive, seen when I click "My Computer" either on the Win95/98 Gateway, or newer XP?? If so, been there many times, just never knew the proper term was "root of drive"..If that's what you meant.
Yup, that's the exact thing

Quote:
When DOS was installed in the old Gateway, the large, hi res LCD monitors didn't exist. Should I do something with the res setting?? Some forums make reference to monitor problems. Any thoughts.
Unless it's a widescreen, you shouldn't have problems using it.

Quote:
I continued looking through all the folders in the (C drive. There is no sign of the Xeen install. I didn't modify any files when I installed the game. I don't know what the game did while installing. I tried the SEARCH, but, wasn't sure what file to search for. I had tried a couple of C:\Program File searches using different names, Xeen, the company and so forth, but no luck. Will give it another, more through, look see.

Do you know what I should have typed in the SEARCH window?? bye
You didn't modify any files, but the game did. When running the search, you have an option of looking for files and directories modified in a certain time period. That's your best bet right now.

Oh, and the entire idea about putting installed software into C:\Program Files\ has began after the advent of Windows - no point looking in there.

PS. The AUTOEXEC file you found on your Windows hard drive is a normal thing. That one is used only to load Windows stuff, though.
[/quote

That's so neat the way you isolate the individual questions and answer them.

The screen is a 24", very hi res. I still have the old 21" Gateway monitor. Should I just use it to avoid any more confusion. Since I'm already in that frame of mind.

Have you played Xeen? My Dummy book was sent "book class" so getting it to where I live will take weeks. Would really like to play Xeen, but, probably a bad idea considering my ignorance of DOS.

You obviously play DOS games. Do you use the DOS box? From other forums and comments, I get the impression that without being a DOS genius, playing it on the old machine might be less of a problem.

Re: the AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Just curious and wanted to look so I left clicked, it flashes on screen and disappears. Right click, get the open, edit, print, scan and so forth window, click open, it does the same thing, flashes and disappears. Shouldn't something open, when you click OPEN?

But, when I right click on it and get the "properties" option, click on it, under General tab, it says it's a MS-DOS Batch File. Under COMPATIBILITY, in the compatibility mode window, there's nothing checked, or selected..as in Win95, Win 98 NT, and so forth. In the DISPLAY SETTINGS area, the three selections are unchecked also.

Right now the old machine is Win95/98. So, to play a DOS game, don't I have to adjust something (in this DOS batch file) so the machine knows what to do. Or, if I start the machine in DOS mode, does this file become moot?

Thanks for the time you're taking to help. Really nice of you...
Taarna is offline                         Send a private message to Taarna