View Single Post
Old 10-11-2004, 09:18 AM   #10
Timpsi
Hero Gamer

Just to point out that there is a distinct difference between abandonware and freeware.

When a copyright holder releases a product of theirs on the internet for free download (like for example GTA, B-17, Betrayal at Krondor, and Hidden&Dangerous), the product becomes freeware. This is what Temple of Elemental Evil in the original post would have become, had it been released by Troika. Which is not the case.

However, Abandonware is by no means free. Sharing and downloading abandonware games on the internet has not been allowed by their copyright holders. Abandonware is a term coined some 5+ years ago for games that have been discontinued by their makers and are thus no longer available for purchase. This is why it's morally justifiable to launch a site such as Abandonia to share those games, as it does no harm to the sales of their makers.

Also, there are many definitions for abandonware. Personally, I believe a game gets abandoned only once it's no longer globally available. If you can buy it from a webstore, then do so. The retailers need the income. However, if the game is only available in a small corner store in Burundi that has no website, it's been pretty much abandoned and I feel no guilt in downloading it. (EDIT: unless I lived close to that corner store, of course.)