View Single Post
Old 24-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #68
plix
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Sandwich@Mar 24 2006, 11:29 AM
DNS caching has nothing to do with this. Many ISPs, particularly the larger ones, maintain web page caches because caching of frequently accessed sites can help them to significantly reduce their page traffic from the Internet, thus saving them bandwidth and expense.
It has everything to do with this. I'm familiar with content proxying (which is what you're talking about), but that's not what's at issue here.

If it were a content proxying issue people behind such proxies would see a stale version of the forum, for example, while everyone else would see the fresh version (assuming they visited using the IP; otherwise they'd see that registration.com parked page). Are you even familiar with what DNS caching is? I was hitting the page just fine because of my ISP's DNS cache and was getting fresh content without any trouble whatsoever. Since then the cache has expired and has updated to now point me at that registration.com page.

Anyone still getting to the site just fine will tell you that when they ping/traceroute/lookup the domain they'll get the IP of the site, anyone getting the parked page will respond with a different IP (should be something like 69.25.142.52).
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix