View Single Post
Old 07-09-2005, 08:09 PM   #22
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

Quote:
Originally posted by Puffin+Sep 7 2005, 01:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Puffin @ Sep 7 2005, 01:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>If people are mature enough to have sex, they should be mature enough to use contraceptions. But like said before, they don't always work.
[/b]

So what about those people - and they are legion - who are not mature enough to have sex but are doing it anyway? Personally, I think the problem stems from people believing that they're entitled to have sex with no consequences, simply because that's what the empty heads on TV have been telling them for years. Everyone loves to point out that teenage pregnancy is a problem, and it is. Lots of people believe that distributing contraceptives to fourth-graders is actually taking a step toward solving that problem. It is not, and if this train of thought is ridden to the end of the line, the problem will only continue to get worse. Proponents of mandatory contraceptive dispensers in elementary schools will be mystified as to why the problem has not solved itself, but they will not even consider that maybe they're looking at it from the wrong perspective. I say people need to be taught at an early age that sex isn't just something you do for fun, and that there's a lot of responsibility involved. Until you are ready to deal with the possible consequences of sex, you shouldn't be having it. (And guess what: A 15-year-old is not ready to deal with that, no matter what he or she may think.) Considering that our society is very creative at coming up with ways of avoiding personal responsibility for anything, however, I don't see this happening anytime soon, if ever.

<!--QuoteBegin-Puffin
@Sep 7 2005, 01:37 PM
If it's just to reproduce, why do we enjoy it so much?[/quote]
That's an easy one. Making reproduction enjoyable ensures the propagation of the species.