Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Cold Cases (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   An old RPG. With Minotaurs! (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=26218)

Dmaner 01-12-2010 01:45 AM

An old RPG. With Minotaurs!

Hello, I've looking for this game for years and no one has been able to help me.

8-10 years ago, I had a collection of shareware games that came bundled together in a cd. The compilation was made by a local company here that went broke a long time ago.

Anyway, I remember one of those games in particular, it was a sort of RPG, where you had to travel through labyrinths. I remember that each level of the dungeon was placed on a grid, of for example 20x20, where each square had a room and one or more exits, north, south, east or west. I also remember that you could get out of the dungeon and travel, using a map overview, to several towns where you could buy stuff. I remember one of those towns was a ghost town. I also remember the game had several different races to choose from, but I only remember Minotaurs.

The version I had was a short demo, since the game was shareware.

I'm sorry about the lack of details, but if anyone has any idea, I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Dmaner 01-12-2010 02:16 AM

An old RPG. With Minotaurs!

This one has been driving me crazy for years.

Some 8-10 years ago I had a compilation of shareware games that came all together on a cd. That compilation was made by a small local company which has disappeared a long time ago. I remember one game in particular, an RPG/Adventure type of game, where you would choose a name, a race, and a couple of other things, and then appeared in a dungeon. I remember the dungeon had many levels, and that each level was a grid of, for example, 20x20, where each square was a room with exits north south east or west. I also remember that you could come out of the dungeon and travel, using a map overview, to different towns where you could buy stuff. I remember Minotaurs were one of the races, and also that one of the monsters you could encounter was a mimic that looked like a chest.

The game I played was a short demo.

Since the game came in a shareware package, I have no idea when it was published. I'm sure that it has to be pre-2000. The graphics were all very simple.

If it rings a bell to anyone, please tell me!

Thanks.

DarthHelmet86 01-12-2010 07:33 AM

Merged the two threads together since it's about the same game, and both have been posted today.

As for the game I have no idea what it could be...but it sounds interesting.

dosraider 01-12-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmaner (Post 418109)
If it rings a bell to anyone, please tell me!

Thanks.

To be honnest, it rings a lot of bells, a complete carillon of them bells.
Meaning: your description covers approx 75-90% of the RPGs I ever played.
If you can't give some specific details for the game you're looking for it's gonna be a hard one to find.

Smiling Spectre 01-12-2010 11:03 AM

Well, I am doubt about 90% of RPGs. :) Not all RPGs have "room differentiation", and not all RPGs have chest mimics. :) And definitely not all of them starts in dungeon and have many towns. :) Actually, roguelikes would be prime suspected, but I cannot remember any RL with squared locations, except one, text-based, here on AB, but it is haven't cities. :(

wardencz 01-12-2010 11:44 AM

He said that there is possibility to play as a minotaur, that might give a clue to some1.
In my case I have no idea.

wardencz 01-12-2010 11:50 AM

Now, I found a page about minotaur race being in AD&D first edition, furthermore, they are mentioned as Minotaurs of Krynn so I would assume that it might have been one of the games of the AD&D saga from Krynn.
Just a thought.
EDIT:
Champions of Krynn
The dark queen of Krynn
Death knights of Krynn

marko river 03-12-2010 01:33 PM

You should write something about graphics, the view etc.

Considering the 20x20 levels in dungeons, it surely reminds of rouge-likes. Check these rogue-clones and comment graphics, presentation, anything that may come to mind.

Smiling Spectre 04-12-2010 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmaner (Post 418108)
Anyway, I remember one of those games in particular, it was a sort of RPG, where you had to travel through labyrinths. I remember that each level of the dungeon was placed on a grid, of for example 20x20, where each square had a room and one or more exits, north, south, east or west. I also remember that you could get out of the dungeon and travel, using a map overview, to several towns where you could buy stuff. I remember one of those towns was a ghost town. I also remember the game had several different races to choose from, but I only remember Minotaurs.

It hits me yesterday: could it be one of Might and Magic? It have square dungeons, minotaurs (but I forgot, whether they could be playable or not) and definitely ghost city!

Another suspect is Mordor but it definitely haven't any cities except the first.

Paco 04-12-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre (Post 418326)
It hits me yesterday: could it be one of Might and Magic? It have square dungeons, minotaurs (but I forgot, whether they could be playable or not) and definitely ghost city!

There is Humans, Dwarfs, Elven, Gnoms, Orks, but no Minotaurs at last in the first 5 Parts of the Series. Dont remember if there is playable Minotaurs in the latter Parts of the Series (MM 6-9).

The current time is 07:49 AM (GMT)