Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Specific games (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   How to run Fallout in DOSBox (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=26128)

foxea88 17-03-2012 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosraider (Post 440408)
This:

[Badmooded today]
What always baffles me is what peeps would try to get such game old game running directly on a modern OS.
You obviously have no idea how lucky you are that for example Win7 is smart enough to protect itself against dodgy programming.
Some of those old things would write anything everywhere, not to mention some came with 'adapted' or 'improved' *sigh* DLLs that would happily overwrite system files.
.... etcetera etcetera, add a long list here of possible catastrophic scenarios.

You obviously have no, but really no idea how much the structure of your modern OS has changed.

Ah well, at least you will be able to whine how bad windows is, and you will be able to nag how slow it becomes, and of course curse MS because you will need to reinstall windows ..... LMAO.
[/Badmooded today]

Well none of that ever happened to me :woot:

You can only select up 16mb in Dosbox through the configuration. Maybe I will re-copy fallout onto it and look for the config file to edit manually.

dosraider 17-03-2012 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxea88 (Post 440625)
Well none of that ever happened to me :woot:......

Just give it some time, you'll get what you deserve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxea88 (Post 440625)
You can only select up 16mb in Dosbox through the configuration.

64MB.
Read the dosbox manual.

foxea88 18-03-2012 05:16 AM

Well I'm trying to get it working on the xbox, dosXbox not dosbox. I can't find the config file to edit, and the settings only allow 8 or 16.

The Fifth Horseman 18-03-2012 09:17 AM

For reading and writing the configs: http://www.tdubel.com/artikkelit/emu...dosxbox_v3.txt

DADi590 18-08-2019 08:58 PM

"Error saving game. Unable to save game." on DOSBox 0.71 for PSP

Greetings, and first of all, sorry for coming to this thread after so many years, but I wanted to try anyways.

I did this in my PSP and put Fallout 1 working really well (the speed could just be a bit faster, but it's perfectly fine for me the way it is). But my problem is that I can't save the games. By now, I've saved about 3 or 4 times in 2 days. Sometimes it saves, but the BIG majority of the time, it doesn't. And I don't know what the problem is, since I start the game from the Memory Stick with DOSBox in my PC and it works perfectly. It's just on the PSP it doesn't work. I've tried everything that I read that could be the problem and that came to my mind, and nothing worked. It only saves when "it wants", and I don't know what to do for it to " want" to do it. Please, can anyone help with this? I've no more ideas. I wanted to play it on my PSP, since my phone's battery is not that good and my PC, I have another games first.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Smiling Spectre 19-08-2019 02:06 PM

Do you have free place? Maybe, it cannot save because there is nowhere to save?

DADi590 19-08-2019 05:04 PM

Thanks for the reply. But yss, I have enough space on it. 10GB free haha. nd I've thought in permissions, but only the SLOT0X folders have read-only in Windows when I connect the PSP to my PC, and I can't remove that. But the files are not read-only. And I learned that MS-DOS didn't have permissions, since nothing was protected. So I've thought in the problem being with something in the PSP. Maybe filesystem? (thought on this one now) Or not giving permission to create the files for some weird reason. Or this is a known bug of the game and the PSP just put it worse? And again about the space, I've put the free_space value equal to 20400 again to see if it had space and it gave no error... I've though in this being a RAM problem. Not enough to save, maybe. I don't know, just thought on it. I've put 40,35,32,16MB in memsize and 8,4,2,0 in art_cache_size. But it didn't change it. Just puts the game slower. Any ideas...?

Smiling Spectre 21-08-2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DADi590 (Post 484051)
But yss, I have enough space on it. 10GB free haha.

Hmm. Actually, this _can_ be the problem for dosbox sometimes - particularly, when game tries to check this free space. DOS is never planned to go into GB area. I usually start DOSBox with -freesize 640 key, to limit it into "manageable" space. Try it if you can?

DADi590 22-08-2019 08:08 PM

Thanks. I didn't think anyone would reply in such an old thread, but cool there is haha. But sadly, it didn't work... It still doesn't save... It's not because of max file load right? I read somewhere the PSP version only loads either 9 or 10 files at a time, and the PC version loads hundreds. But I don't know if that's needed for Fallout or not. I don't even know ehat MS-DOS version Fallout needs... I know the PSP version is 5 or something like that.

DADi590 23-08-2019 08:36 AM

And it seems to only save when I create a new game. When I load a game, it refuses to save. Also, after the first save (after creating the game), it won't save anymore too. So basically, to save, I have to create a new game. And I can't undertstand what's causing this... I've already thought in learning how to make homebrews for PSP to re-port DOSBox to the PSP but with the correction on it, somehow. But I don't even know what the problem is... I've disabled all sound in the game (removed the .386 files and disabled everything about sound in fallout.cfg and dosbox.conf. This because of me thinkng theb probpem might be it trying to load more than 10 files (which I think it's the PSP max allowed files to load - really PSP, it's the memory card driver max, from what the developer said). But I read MS-DOS allowed only 8... And anyways, the experiment failed. The game still didn't save even with the game not loading both the files (and possibpy music and souns files too). Getting without ideas again... If I just knew the cause of this...

The current time is 02:21 PM (GMT)