Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   General compatibility fixes (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Got ONI To Run On WinXP... prob with resolution (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=16030)

The Fifth Horseman 05-11-2007 11:11 AM

I've recently dug up an old (OLD) game mag cover CD with the demo of ONI.
As it turned out, the game "didn't like" my attempt to run it and promptly crashed after the intro sequence.

After some digging in compatibility and other options, I've found out that disabling virtual memory (which is not a big problem for my XP, since I've got 1 GB of actual RAM memory anyway) got the game to start.

Now, my question is: how can I get it to run in a proper 1024x768 resolution? Every time I try to get it to run in anything over 640x480, all I get is a 640x480 pixel display surrounded by a field of black.

It's not as bad as it might be, since I can turn on max antialiasing to prevent jagged edges, but still would prefer to run the demo (and the full game, when I find a copy) in a higher resolution.

gregor 05-11-2007 02:04 PM

could resolution be a demo issue? :-O

Eagle of Fire 05-11-2007 05:02 PM

Likely. Especially since Oni is a modern, Windows era game. Nothing much you can do then if the game been made with those specific resolutions in mind, other than the normal stuff of updating drivers and such...

Japo 06-11-2007 02:06 AM

I understand that the game lets you configure it for higher resolutions, but then doesn't show them right? Ah the mysteries of graphic cards. Aside from replacing your graphic card with an old one from the time the game was produced, I can't think of anything. :P

The Fifth Horseman 06-11-2007 05:59 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Japofran @ Nov 6 2007, 04:06 AM) [snapback]318383[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I understand that the game lets you configure it for higher resolutions, but then doesn't show them right? [/b]
Precisely so.

Fortunately, some (read: a lot of) digging in the net turned up information about the -noswitch argument. Runing the game through a shortcut using it got me the desired result.

:brain:

Japo 06-11-2007 03:38 PM

If only each game developer did say in their manual which god you must pray to in order to get their game running. :P

The Fifth Horseman 06-11-2007 04:00 PM

It's always same one anyway: the one and true Machine God. ;)

Got the full version, BTW. Now let's hope the same method will get it working as well.

Burger Meister 08-11-2007 08:19 PM

Where did you find your copy of it? Full version.

I love going to EB Games and looking through the old used games for pc. Got a copy of Tribes 2 for $0.99

Yeah um... awesome deal!!!!

The Fifth Horseman 09-11-2007 12:55 PM

On a Polish auction site called Allegro. It's kind of like a local eBay equivalent.
Costed me a bit more then $0.99, though. :P

Burger Meister 11-11-2007 04:13 AM

LOL. I just really lucked out. Since it was only the jewel case and tribes 3 had came out, then they really took a crap on the price. The first tribes and second one are free now I believe, or they were a bit back since fileplanet was offering them with cd-keys!

The current time is 11:55 PM (GMT)