Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes - The Case of Serrated Scalpel, The (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=898)

Kosta 06-10-2004 12:12 PM

Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes - The Case of Serrated Scalpel, The

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review

Amanda-Lyn 09-10-2004 07:39 AM

G'day, I need seious help (and not just in the mental stakes). I have got Sherlock and Watson to Anna's house but no matter what I do Watson will not let me open the door, and worst of all the game won't let me stab Watson to get him out of the way. It is infuriating. I ring the bell, knock on the door several times and then try the keys...but to no avail. I have done this probably 20 times or so (sucker me huh!). What the hec am I doing wrong. :cry:

Somebody please help me. WAAAAA!!

T T F N

Amanda-Lyn

Kosta 09-10-2004 11:56 AM

Hey!
Did you take a look at the walkthrough in the extras section? It might give you some insight ;)

Kon-Tiki 09-10-2004 01:14 PM

Oy, I keep forgetting to try this game out. Let's see how far I can get without the walkthrough. If I manage to get past it while the walkthrough's no help, I'll let you know how :)

Amanda-Lyn 10-10-2004 12:12 AM

In a desperate plea to work this thing out, I did have a look at a walkthrough (I typed in "Bell" so I didn't have to go through the whole document). It just says to use the door knock and ring the bel several times and then try the keys. It then goes on to say that watson will stop you....but just keep doing this until he says that you have waited long enough. I went though this a minimum of twenty times...I stopped counting after that. Oh well, any help would be very much appreciated. :bye:

Thanks

Amanda-Lyn

Kon-Tiki 10-10-2004 12:22 AM

Haven't gotten to that point in the game yet, but knowing adventure games, you probably missed something you have to get or do first. Did you try and see if you can do anything else somewhere else?

Amanda-Lyn 10-10-2004 12:42 AM

G'day again,

Without going through the walkthrough I don't know if I have missed anything - so I will go back and check every place I have been again. But in the mean time if anyone gets into Anna's apartment/house please post cause I am going absolutely BALMY!!! :w00t: This is the only thing that has caused me to stop.....BUGGER!

T T F N
Amanda-Lyn

Fawfulhasfury 10-10-2004 02:17 AM

I will see if I can remember. Try opening the door, knocking on the door, using the door knocker if there is one, looking in the window, calling for someone in the house, trying to open the door again.
But tell me is Watson not letting you open the door?
If so, then this should work.
It will also work if you can't get in the house. :D

Amanda-Lyn 10-10-2004 03:30 AM

Oh Forum Hobbit I could just Kiss you :wub:

I looked at everything. Then I tried to open door - it rang a door bell - then waited.....USED (not moved, stupid me) the door knocker......then USED the door bell and the used the keys.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

T T F N

Amanda-Lyn B)

Kon-Tiki 10-10-2004 03:45 AM

He's named Fawlfullhasfury. Forum hobbit's the rank he has, based on the amount of posts ;)

Can stop the rush through the game now :D 's Pretty hard to get through it as fast as possible, as in the games from Sherlock Holmes, you tend to need to examine everything twice and try everything out five times then talk several times to everybody on each location <_< Damn Case of the Rose Tattoo got so boring because of it.

Amanda-Lyn 10-10-2004 06:12 AM

Sorry about the name....noticed I had typed the wrong one in....but I would still like to kiss you.

Finished the game off. Whew!! I must admit it got a little repetative and drawn out there for a while...but all in all it was fun. I was quite funny, every now and then the voices would kick in. Not what I expected, and boy that Watson sure likes to strock Sherlock's ego just a little. (nothing weird intended)

Thanks for the help. Now to download another.........

T T F N

Amanda-Lyn

Amanda-Lyn 10-10-2004 06:14 AM

Damn it ...... stupid fingers I mean STROKE Sherlock's ego. Man!! :P
(sorry typing SPACK!)

T T F N

Amanda-Lyn

Fawfulhasfury 10-10-2004 03:50 PM

you are welcome
now can you help me where I am stuck :D
That baroness won't let me see the baron. :( :D

Kon-Tiki 11-10-2004 06:17 PM

Goddamn darts <_< I keep having something like 14 or so to throw, then that third guy keeps having lucky shots and wins. God bloody damn that part's frustrating.

Havell 11-10-2004 08:56 PM

The darts part was my favourite part (apart from when you have to do the chemistry).

Amanda-Lyn 12-10-2004 08:20 AM

G'day,

Sorry I took so long, I don't get on the internet everday.

Okay, the baroness will not let you see the baron until right at the end when you have a certain "letter/confession" in your inventory. So keep going.

T T F N

Amanda-Lyn

Fawfulhasfury 12-10-2004 02:17 PM

ok thanks :D

tev 07-11-2004 03:59 PM

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the cleaning woman to tell me about James...Belle always comes back before I can ask a second question. Is there something else I need to do here?

Thanks,
Tevalin

Kon-Tiki 07-11-2004 04:40 PM

I bought it twice because of that. Don't ask me where Holmes keeps pulling the money from :blink:

Fawfulhasfury 07-11-2004 05:30 PM

I finally finished the game.
nice ending :D

tev 07-11-2004 07:32 PM

Dur. I feel dumb. I just wasn't asking the right sequence of questions.

Guest 09-11-2004 04:02 PM

arrrgh !
I somehow CAN`T beat this stupid bartender ... anyone got a save for me ? :cry:
apart from that i´m loving it ! :D

Kon-Tiki 09-11-2004 05:03 PM

I can't beat the last one of the customers and just continued playing without minding that. You can get further in the game without it, it seems :ok:

Fawfulhasfury 09-11-2004 05:11 PM

WHAT!!!! :blink:
you mean I did not have to beat all those guys! :ranting:

Kon-Tiki 09-11-2004 05:21 PM

Dunno. Haven't finished the game myself yet, but I did get quite far already without beating them :bleh:

Havell 09-11-2004 05:25 PM

I really enjoyed playing the guys in the bar, a nice break from brain wracking.

Mickey Bitsko 15-11-2004 08:32 PM

This is one of the funniest threads I've ever read on any forum! :blink:

Sana 07-02-2005 03:19 PM

I just downloaded this game and it doen't allow me to use the mouse..In the input device setting it says keyboard and mouse but I can't use the mouse...I need to use the arrow keys to move the cursor....Is this how the game is..or is just me?Please help!

Thanks!

Sana 07-02-2005 05:16 PM

Oh BTW,there's no sound...I mean I can't hear what they are say,but there's these noises which sound like a broken radio!

another_guest 08-02-2005 11:36 AM

In case anyone would come across this discussion:
I'm not so sure if you can complete the game without beating the guys at the bar, since the bartender will give you some useful information after you've won from him. As far as I can remember (6 years since I've played it) it's got something to do with a taxidermist and maybe the scruffy lion's head above the bar's door.
No idea though if this is essential to the game or if there isn't a different way of getting there. Probably not :sneaky:

About the mouse: I always used the mouse, so it should work. I remember though that a friend of mine had the same problem of the mouse not working. Have you tried running it in Dosbox? No idea if this makes any difference, but you could give it a try...

Fawfulhasfury 08-02-2005 03:20 PM

There is a different way. You have to get the bartender to admit to his past. Something to do with the lions head and stuff. Can't remember how though.

julie 08-02-2005 03:25 PM

I can see, that I´m not the only one with this problem - but the cleaning girl just doesn´t tell me about James - Belle allways gets back before I get any information. I have tried all the way through the game, and now it´s the only info I need to get further...

Fawfulhasfury 08-02-2005 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Spoiler: highlight with your mouse to read
Knock over the plant in the pot downstairs, then talk to her again.

Guest 08-02-2005 03:31 PM

thanks, I will try it out!

Guest 08-02-2005 03:39 PM

I might be stupid, but which plant are you talking about?

Kerndy 16-02-2005 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest@Feb 8 2005, 04:39 PM
I might be stupid, but which plant are you talking about?
You're not stupid...I have no idea how to get the cleaning woman to talk, either. I've bought enough perfume to scent the entirety of Victorian London, but Belle always comes back too quickly. :wall:

another_guest 16-02-2005 10:13 AM

I think that trick with the plant didn't take place in the perfume shop, but in someone's house, where there's a similar problem with the lady of the house returning too soon. At least I *think* it wasn't in the perfume shop.

Kerndy 07-03-2005 08:17 AM

I've apparently gone as far as I can go in this game now without doing the whole Belle's Perfumerie thing. I have a feeling I may have to slow it down or something...not sure. I wish I could finish it, but nothing at that darned perfume shop seems to work. I was enjoying it up until now, anyway!

Klaudi 13-03-2005 10:10 PM

i'm in a Moorehead and Gardner Detective Agency and i cant open the door! i read in the walkthrough that i'm suppose to throw a typewriter into the door but whatever i do it wont throw it. any suggestions?!

DeathDude 13-03-2005 10:43 PM

More than likely you've forgotten to do something, that's why you can't throw the typewriter through the door.

Klaudi 15-03-2005 01:26 PM

no...i'm quite sure i did everything

DeathDude 15-03-2005 03:54 PM

Check a walkthrough to see if you really did do everything, just to double check, same prob happened to me until I checked that I missed one little event.

Elaslay 22-03-2005 07:03 PM

Is there any way of playing this game with a mouse?

Fawfulhasfury 22-03-2005 07:16 PM

Yes, thats what I play it with. What does it play with on your pc?? Perhaps you should check the games settings.

Elaslay 23-03-2005 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Fawfulhasfury@Mar 22 2005, 08:16 PM
Yes, thats what I play it with. What does it play with on your pc?? Perhaps you should check the games settings.
I keep on having to use the keyboard to move the hand in this game it is driving me crazy! I've played this on my schools computer with a mouse but on my computer at home its wont work!!!!! Please HELP!

Elaslay 23-03-2005 11:32 PM

Never mind i figured it out :bye:

another_guest 24-03-2005 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Elaslay@Mar 24 2005, 12:32 AM
Never mind i figured it out :bye:
Could you post your solution, because this question is bound to pop up every now and then? :)

help me 25-03-2005 09:17 PM

the game wont let me use the mouse .

Guest 25-03-2005 09:20 PM

peease will som1 answer me? i want to use the mouse

wattsun 25-03-2005 09:34 PM

it wants me to use the key board but i wanna use the mouse
http://www.abandonia.com/forum/style_image...n-828/icon7.gif
http://www.abandonia.comjavascript: emoticon(':kosta:')://http://www.abandonia.comjavascript&...9;:kosta:')
smilie/forum/style_javascript:emoticon(':rifle:')
smilieimages/Invision-828/icon7.gif

DSmidgy 26-03-2005 06:36 AM

I think you must run install.exe and then choose the mouse.
Try running the game in dosbox if that doesn't work.

lovingthesite 27-03-2005 01:10 AM

To get your mouse back press CTRL+F10. when you start the game.

I was having the same problem and stumbled across the solution in the Dosbox instructions in the keystroke section. I was so thrilled to be able to play the game!

My complements to the site. It's wonderful to see so many old friends, er games. Very helpful and informative, too. You're doing a great job.

Elaslay 30-03-2005 11:55 PM

Well, what I did was on the setup for the game I disabled the sound effects and the music. I don't know why it works but it does.

DeathDude 31-03-2005 12:47 AM

Yeah for me, I'll be playing the game for awhile with the keyboard and all of a sudden the mouse will start to work again, maybe it's one of the options in-game that modifies it.

Evad 04-04-2005 10:02 PM

ok, i just finally won at the dart game, so it is possible to any of you people pulling your hair out. if you get fed up and want the saved game for beating it let me know, but i suggest you do it yourself it sure feels great!!

DeathDude 05-04-2005 12:40 AM

I know what you mean man, that dart game was really hard stuff, I was really frustrated with the last guy took me at least 8-9 times to beat him, finally.

another_guest 05-04-2005 06:40 AM

Once you get the hang of it, it's not that hard anymore, but indeed it takes time :)
At least you knew what to do, unlike some of the other puzzles in the game. The worst thing is when you think you've visited everything and everyone, and still nothing new pops up.

Evad 06-04-2005 07:20 PM

i actually found that the game would kinda bug out if i went outta sequence. like in th billiards hall, i had to revert to a saved game a few times, cause i'd talk to the wrong guy first, and i couldn't get any farther, this may be another d-fend bug..
the thing about the darts that irked me was that the last two guys always hit their last two shots, and it always added up, they maybe busted 10% of the time, friking losers must play darts all bloody day long for crying out loud.

DeathDude 06-04-2005 07:22 PM

Yeah now that you mention it, I think I remember something like that happening, was a little odd, but I did get past it.

crazy_smiler 15-04-2005 06:15 AM

If I make a mistake and already saved is there any way to change it? I talk to Mrs. W at the opera but she is shooshing me to wait until the show is over. And I have not seen the fat lady to end it all. The show just goes on and on......and on! What can I do?

crazy_smiler 15-04-2005 06:18 AM

Never mind it had gone very fast through her talking I had the note. I would like to ask about sound all of it is on but I get nothing no voices no sound. Any suggestions.

DeathDude 15-04-2005 09:00 PM

There's only a little bit of voices at the beginning and in one of the cutscenes that's it, as for sound have you tried modifying it via the setup program see if that does anything.

crazy_smiler 16-04-2005 06:40 AM

Hey there I have run into a stumper. That typewriter I so much want to hurl into the door will not let me pick it up. Can anyone let me know what is wrong. I've tried: pick up, use, move.....none work??????????? I REALLY want to smash that door in :sneaky: .

crazy_smiler 16-04-2005 06:43 AM

About sound. No dice. Oh well I'm almost finished the game anyway. Can you help with this typewriter business.

crazy_smiler 16-04-2005 07:15 AM

I have looked back at old messages saw others have had my problem. I went through the walkthrough and cannot find anything that I am missing. Maybe if the people that had problems can tell me what they had forgotten to do before the typewriter would let you hurl it though the door.

crazy_smiler 16-04-2005 07:24 AM

I looked into another walkthrough for some reason I was to look at the picture on the right? Oh well the receptionist had more to say now. I was then able to hurl that curse'd typewriter through the door. :ok:

agne 17-04-2005 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Amanda-Lyn@Oct 10 2004, 06:12 AM
Sorry about the name....noticed I had typed the wrong one in....but I would still like to kiss you.

Finished the game off. Whew!! I must admit it got a little repetative and drawn out there for a while...but all in all it was fun. I was quite funny, every now and then the voices would kick in. Not what I expected, and boy that Watson sure likes to strock Sherlock's ego just a little. (nothing weird intended)

Thanks for the help. Now to download another.........

T T F N

Amanda-Lyn

My Webpage

hessekopp 07-05-2005 09:13 PM

DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!! very good gameplay! love it or leave it!!!! :ok: :ok:

Tom Henrik 13-07-2005 05:12 PM

Added some scans, thanks to Alex :cheers: :ok:

Adam 03-12-2005 02:52 PM

We got this game when it originally came out and played it forever! Bought it from Babbages and it came on 10 floppy disks! I played it every year until two or three years ago. Yeah, that door knocker can be a pain in the behind...sometimes it works perfectly...and i've hit it thousands of times, and went to all the places, did everything i could, and nothing... just luck i guess.

I wish they would make another one of these games....the 2nd one in 1996 was okay, but i still like the original story and simplicity of the game. :ok:

mika 28-02-2006 05:03 AM

Just finished this game. It was brilliant. I'm gonna try the next one in the series next but the screenshots do not pull me as much as this one.

Some spoilers for the people that were stuck...

Bartender (Darts):
You DO NOT have to play darts to get the info from the bartender. You first need to look at all the stuff in the room (all pictures and the lion head and stuff - especially the painting behind the bartender and the picture of him and his mom) and then talk to him and threaten that you will tell the people that he was disgraced from the army as the picture of his mom in 2 years after joining the army which takes 4 years.

Perfume:
You need to first get all the info from the sales lady about the man who bought the perfume and she needs to tell you that he is a rugby player. Once you've done that, try buy the perfume (forgot which one) and when she's away talk to the cleaning lady. She should tell you herself that she know who you were talking about.

Anna's House:
You just need to USE the knocker a couple of times and then USE the keys on the door. Make sure you're using the right keys ;)

krekits 03-04-2006 05:39 PM

Great, I finally found out what the game I played way back was named. Now I only need to know how to get my hands on it. Anybody here know how to obtain Lost files of Sherlock Holmes: Case of the serrated scalpel?

ReamusLQ 03-04-2006 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by krekits@Apr 3 2006, 09:39 AM
Great, I finally found out what the game I played way back was named. Now I only need to know how to get my hands on it. Anybody here know how to obtain Lost files of Sherlock Holmes: Case of the serrated scalpel?
Unfortunately, it is protected by the ESA, making it illegal to distribute freely. And since I KNOW you wouldn't be asking for illegal warez, I hope you find a place to buy it cheap, or another game you think you would enjoy on the site. :ok:

Frodo 03-04-2006 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by krekits@Apr 3 2006, 05:39 PM
Found it on eBay. - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOST-FILES-OF-SHERLO...1QQcmdZViewItem

:ok:

krekits 04-04-2006 05:08 PM

Ya, I found it after a good 15 - 20 more minutes sweeping the 'net.

Link Removed

Anyone can get it from there. Shows that some don't know what they're talking 'bout?

Just because you can download it from another site doesn't make it legal. Do not link to warez on this forum!

krekits 05-04-2006 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by krekits@Apr 4 2006, 05:08 PM
Ya, I found it after a good 15 - 20 more minutes sweeping the 'net.

Link Removed

Anyone can get it from there. Shows that some don't know what they're talking 'bout?

Just because you can download it from another site doesn't make it legal.* Do not link to warez on this forum!

Well, If you had read the post thoroughly, you'd have noticed that I didn't link to anything. I posted the name of a site, I didn't link to it. Do you actually know what a link is?

A Google search for Removed will produce some interesting results, the top hit especially.
Another Google search for Removed will produce the same top hit.
And yet another Google search for Removed will also produce the same top hit.
Note that in this post neither the name of the site nor links are present.

You also state, and I quote, "Unfortunately, it is protected by the ESA, making it illegal to distribute freely."

Is that something that you just routinely type, or have you actually checked recently that this is still the case?

1. Informing people how to download the game in such a direct manner is the same as linking to it in my eyes, and I'm sure the rest of the mods would agree with me.
2. We frequently petition the ESA and the games' producers to allow distribution of the games, success is rare but it does happen. Patience is necessary.

-Havel

Guest 29-05-2006 06:27 AM

Hi all. I just installed the game but it won't let me save. It says sth like "error. check disk space." Would someone please help me out? Thanks in advanced.

The Fifth Horseman 29-05-2006 12:58 PM

Use DosBox. Works a charm.

Guest 29-05-2006 05:55 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ May 29 2006, 12:58 PM) [snapback]232994[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Use DosBox. Works a charm.
[/b]
I'm already using DosBox. I followed the step by step instruction from

http://www.abandonia.com/main.php?nav=index&FAQ=1

everything seems to work fine except it would not allowed me to save and maximize the game.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Angel

Mighty Midget 29-05-2006 06:02 PM

What happens when you try those two? A bit more info would help. Thanks :)

Guest 29-05-2006 08:02 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ May 29 2006, 06:01 PM) [snapback]233072[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

What happens when you try those two? A bit more info would help. Thanks :)
[/b]
alright! I just fixed the saving problem! :brain: (don't ask me how, it just happens! haha!)

But as I press ALT+ENTER to maximize the screeen, it says "input no support". what does that mean?

The Fifth Horseman 30-05-2006 10:48 AM

Do you happen to be using a TFT monitor?

madmat 15-02-2007 09:48 AM

True classic, played it on the 3DO back then, nowadays again on my PDA (PocketDOS).

Too bad none of the newer Sherlock Holmes adventures didn´t get even close to this one, anyone tried the latest "Spur der Erwachten" already ?

Addison 17-02-2007 07:22 AM

I'm really sorry to ask this.

But what again needs to be done to have the game play both music and speech?

If I don't have any settings for music, the game plays perfect.

However, if I set the driver for music, the game crashes right after Holmes and Watson are finished talking at the table.

Big thanks in advance to whoever know the answer to this. ^_^

The Fifth Horseman 19-02-2007 01:34 PM

Use DosBox to run the game. You can download it here.

You might also want to check out the official DosBox FAQ, and particularly this part of it. It is quite helpful for users unfamiliar with DosBox.

Addison 19-02-2007 04:24 PM

Ah nuts, I knew I should have stated that I already was using Dosbox to run this game.

But yeah, supposedly many others have had the same problems getting both music and sound to work correctly, including those on this forum.

I was just hoping that someone could post the solution as to how they were able to solve for this problem.

Playing Hotel Dusk and Phoenix Wright for the DS as of late has gotten me into murder mysteries. ^_^

Addison 19-02-2007 05:05 PM

Okay, my apologies. I tried everything I could think of to get this game working properly, which included screaming at it.

Well, somehow that made it work. :blink:

Who knows what the problem was earlier that I had with this game, but all is right with world now. ^_^

Cookie 12-03-2007 11:21 PM

I need help! I have the game, but I have no idea how to get it to play! I can open the batch file, but it just opens one brief scene and then closes me out.

Can anyone help me out??

Thank you!

DonCorleone 12-03-2007 11:32 PM

Please try running DosBox, Cookie...!

The Fifth Horseman 13-03-2007 12:36 PM

It seems you are trying to run the game in plain Windows. I strongly suggest you use DosBox instead.
You can download it here.

You might want to check out the official DosBox FAQ, and particularly this part of it. It is quite helpful for users unfamiliar with DosBox.

John-Wayne 04-08-2007 08:35 PM

Hi, does anyone knows why the second part (Case of rose tattoo) isn´t in this site? I love the game and got some problems running it (it crashes in certain parts, cant run it on DOSBox). Any help would be nice.

_r.u.s.s. 04-08-2007 08:40 PM

well, when what happenes when you cant run it on dosbox? you dont know commands or it gives some error? and what would be the error?

its difficult to guess a solution if we dont have any description

John-Wayne 04-08-2007 08:49 PM

Well, the game actually works without DOSBox, but it crashes, so I tried to run it with it (following the tutorial instructions), but it didn't start (just showed the "thinking" mouse symbol, but nothing happened).
And why is not on th site?
Thanks.

_r.u.s.s. 04-08-2007 08:50 PM

ingame 'thinking' cursor? or dosbox freezed? if its ingame increase cycles with ctrl+f 12

John-Wayne 04-08-2007 08:56 PM

DOSBox freezes just after typing the name of the .exe file, tried rising cycles but nothing happened.

_r.u.s.s. 04-08-2007 08:59 PM

try setting "core" to different value in dosbox.cfg (all the posible options are written in the file). also, look for some kind of setup, config, install or something like that where you can set your sound card and try choosing a different one

Mighty Midget 04-08-2007 08:59 PM

Could be a sound problem. What is your sound configuration in the game setup/install? Default in DOSBox is soundblaster16 at 220, irq=7, dma=1 , hdma=5

John-Wayne 04-08-2007 09:21 PM

Tried to change the sound card, and even set with no sound but keeps crashing.
The game has SoundBlaster 100% compatible.
I´m using DOSBox 0.61 (i dont understand the lastest version)

_r.u.s.s. 04-08-2007 09:23 PM

dont understand? :blink: its just about the same. if nothing what we adviced helps you i would go for the newer version. btw you can also try using VDM sound

hey and, you have tried changing your CORE, didnt you?

Mighty Midget 04-08-2007 09:25 PM

Hold it! You said 0.61? Are you sure it isn't 0.71? If you don't have the 0.71 version, then get it asap.

John-Wayne 05-08-2007 02:27 AM

YES! finally made it after a long battle against DOSBox 0.71 commands and the D:\ drive (made it with the cd).
The game works perfectly, music and audio also.
Thanks for your time and patience.

John-Wayne 05-08-2007 03:09 AM

The game should be in the site, its great: nice plot, sound and amazing graphics.
Thanks again. :kosta:

Luchsen 01-02-2008 03:57 PM

Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes - The Case of the Serrated Scalpel, The is not protected anymore and so downloadable again.

Capo 01-02-2008 07:13 PM

Nice! :laugh:

momoe 20-03-2008 11:35 AM

Small prob here and major spoilers:

I am at the Lord Brumswell's meeting room and he has already left to turn himself in. I (or should i say, Detective Holmes) turns to follow him out but the doors are remain fastidiously shut. Curiously, neither Holmes nor his esteemed colleague, Dr. Watson, comment on the fact that their only exit out of the meeting room appears to be inexplicably locked. Examination of the door itself reveals no indication of it's locked status either. When the "open doors" command is used though, the game states that the doors are unpassable. These facts lead me to conclude this is more likely a bug rather than one of the game's many insidious puzzles. Can anyone shed light on this?

momoe 20-03-2008 11:58 AM

ugh. nevermind. found what to do by trial and error. silly game should have given some indication that that blackguard Brumswell had played me for a fool.

Nyxator 19-07-2008 10:05 AM

Very well, lads, at last this enticing game is available! From a Sherlockian fan, great work indeed!
To be sincere, I'm a bit in distress: despite my good advancement through the game (e.g. I've just been able to enter Brumwell's Mansion and talk to the Lady), I felt a bit stuck. I felt free to take a look at your walkthrough, and I realized that I miss a location, and it's the famous tobacconist, Bradley's. So far the game has proceeded smoothly and I don't think I have neglected anything... even if I have picked up the cufflink from the barrel recently, just after having talked to Lady Brumwell for the first time.
Could anyone of you tell me whether there is a particular item to activate, or person to talk to, just to let Bradley's location appear? I hope this isn't about one of the feared and foreshadowed "wrong-sequence impasses" I have read about, regarding this game...

Thanks in advance...

Nyxator 19-07-2008 10:33 AM

Ahahahahah my goodness... I've just found out that the cufflink IS actually the item to be "activated" in order to have Bradley (and the taxidermist) show up! Thankfully I asked that landlord at Covent Garden! :laugh:

vonramsey 05-08-2008 12:01 PM

Looking for the german versions?!?!

Paco 05-08-2008 12:55 PM

Google and Emule are your Friend. Abandonia only host Games with English Language.

Jerry234 06-09-2008 01:20 PM

I'm not sure if this had been mentioned already but for anybody who has problems with the dart game:

First you have to look at all the photographs in the room.

Then tell the bartender he should cooperate.

Tell him his clients wouldn't like to know of his dishounorable dismissal from the army.

Tell him about the photo on the pachyderm and the one of his mother.

Now the bartender will cooperate ; No dart game necessary!

TheSurgeon 02-04-2009 12:29 PM

18%

The game cannot be downloaded. It just stands at 18%.

Luchsen 02-04-2009 12:49 PM

Has to be an error on your side. Download and extraction went flawlessly.

_r.u.s.s. 03-04-2009 03:09 PM

try different client?

TheSurgeon 06-04-2009 08:03 AM

Yes

Yes, tried using different clients - completely the same error.

And I am having a similar problem with Fable.

_r.u.s.s. 06-04-2009 08:36 AM

well you aparently have somethign wrong with your connection. try this link

what about other games than fable and this?

TheSurgeon 06-04-2009 01:21 PM

Yeah

Quote:

Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. (Post 358916)
well you aparently have somethign wrong with your connection. try this link

what about other games than fable and this?

Thank you very much, it works! :) Could you please do the same with Fable?

No, I've downloaded loads of other games, the download went perfectly fine with all of them.

I've downloaded Fable from another place yesterday, but it is smaller than this version and it's buggy, every time I start it using dosbox, it freezes. So I am really desperate for this version...

Whenever I start downloading Fable, it breaks. This time it broke on 43%, noting that the source file could not be read and asking me to contact the administrator.

TheSurgeon 06-04-2009 01:28 PM

Actually

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSurgeon (Post 358930)
Whenever I start downloading Fable, it breaks. This time it broke on 43%, noting that the source file could not be read and asking me to contact the administrator.

Actually, stripe that. There was apparently some error.

I continued download and it, traditionally as always, stood at 53% and remained.

_r.u.s.s. 08-04-2009 08:14 AM

why don't you download it at friend's place and rehost it just like i did?

TheSurgeon 08-04-2009 01:38 PM

Response

Quote:

Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. (Post 359110)
why don't you download it at friend's place and rehost it just like i did?

I've tried downloading it at 4 different computers.

cnquist 15-06-2009 07:24 PM

This was a very fun Holmes game. I made me want more Sherlock Holmes adventure games. He seems perfect for this genre. I did have to use a walkthru a couple of times though.

gumpy 17-06-2009 05:50 PM

A great game! One of the better non Lucas Arts or Sierra point and click adventure games.

JimiH 21-08-2009 08:47 AM

Solving a problem

Like many guys here I stucked in Belle's Perfumerine. I tried everything until I found the bug (or perhaps I should call it illogical behavour of game).

You have to talk to Belle again and ask her for men, choose one of this option (I think it's something like tall guy) and describe him like this:
tall, unsure of body building, black hair. She told you, that it was a rugby player. Ask her for the perfume which she has on the back (D'azur I think). Now you talk to cleaning girl and she gives you a advice about James.

Before you do that you have to:
- examine jumper on apartment
- examine stain on theater's door
- talk to coach on fields until he asks for description of James
- examine all things in inventory which is related to the case (especially perfume from theatre)

I hope this help somebody.

tomimt 27-05-2010 08:37 AM

This is a good game and in many ways a bit better than Frogwares new Holmes games.

scorpionr95 28-05-2010 12:00 AM

I loved the game, the story was as intriguing as the original short-stories, but I never got to Belle's Perfumerine (I am not very good at pixel-hunting and such things...:whistling:)

temporal_lobe 09-06-2010 01:25 PM

I got stuck, according to the walkthrough, near the end of the game, in the Brumwell's manor. After he leaves the room, the door remain locked. The walkthrough reads that I should move the left Persian sword and then the painting in order to get the key to the door. My problem is that I move the sword but whenever I try to move the painting, the game says it cannot be moved. Anyone had similar problems? What should I do now?

Niwman 18-10-2010 04:31 PM

Help

Hi guys!

I've downloaded this game and run it with dosbox, but it barelly start to run and during the intro, more specifcally after the cat jumps down and the beer bottle crash into the ground it frozes.

I tried a lot of things to solve this but with no success? anyone got the same problem??

BTW: I have a Wndows 7 PC.

See ya!

DarthHelmet86 19-10-2010 02:29 AM

What cycles are you running the game at?

Adis 16-11-2010 01:51 PM

Hi.
I have the following problem:
When I want to ring the doorbell of the Lord Brumwells mansion, game hangs up. It has something to do with the sound- in the DOSBOX appears text like this: DMA segbound wrapping.
I also tried to switch off sound and music in setup file, but as i wanted to "make change" for the no sound setting, setup again hung up, there was written something about, cant open library file or so.

If someone knows solution for this, please write.

P.S. I also launched fix patch file.

Thanks,
Adis

daBomb619 14-12-2010 07:03 PM

I have the same problem as Niwman. During the intro, after the cat jumps down and the bottle crashes to the ground, the game freezes and the music skips. I have DosBox set to run at 3000 cycles. Can you help?

zirkoni 14-12-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daBomb619 (Post 418922)
During the intro, after the cat jumps down and the bottle crashes to the ground, the game freezes and the music skips

Quote:

loadfix -26
and you'll get further in the intro. You will still encounter wrapping at some point in the game, though, so the problem is only reduced in this case.
Quote:

run the game in 0.73, which does not have the error exit for DMA wrapping; but you may get some pops in the audio or other undesirable side-effects of the wrapping.
source

Capo 23-09-2011 08:56 PM

Every time i start the game it says: "Unable to install driver" and go back to dos, i have to restart the game game until the game actually starts, thats takes 10 minutes every time, so any suggestion how to solve it ?

Btw after that the game works fine.

DarthHelmet86 24-09-2011 03:51 AM

If I remember right I had to play around with the sound settings to get this game to work. Try that and see if it helps...maybe it was that I had to turn off the voice over sounds...I can't really remember at the moment.

Nelexin 05-08-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daBomb619 (Post 418922)
I have the same problem as Niwman. During the intro, after the cat jumps down and the bottle crashes to the ground, the game freezes and the music skips. I have DosBox set to run at 3000 cycles. Can you help?

I've also been having the game crash on me when that bottle breaks after falling, can someone please help us?

Lulu_Jane 05-08-2012 01:38 PM

If you are running the game in the lastest version of dropbox, the problem may be solved by using Dosbox ver. 0.73 instead.

You can find it here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox/files/dosbox/

Let us know if this solves your issue, this is one of my favourite games and I'd hate for somebody not to be able to play it :)

Nelexin 05-08-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lulu_Jane (Post 444613)
If you are running the game in the lastest version of dropbox, the problem may be solved by using Dosbox ver. 0.73 instead.

You can find it here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox/files/dosbox/

Let us know if this solves your issue, this is one of my favourite games and I'd hate for somebody not to be able to play it :)

Thank you very much Lulu_Jane! Your solution has indeed fixed the problem. =). I do however have one more request, can you or somebody else tell me how to configure D-Fend Reloaded to use DOSBox 0.73 for the sake of convenience?

The Fifth Horseman 06-08-2012 07:16 AM

IIRC, DFRL is as close to plug and play as you get with a frontend - just point it to a game and it _should_ identify it and add it to the list of available titles.

Not that I care much for DFRL, mind you. Setting up Norton Commander inside DOSBox works well enough now, just as it did on true DOS PCs in 1990's.

Lupin The Third 15-08-2012 06:16 AM

Hoping someone has some thoughts on this....

Installed the game to Windows 7 using Glenn's method seen here:

http://www.glennsguides.com/2008/06/...s-case-of.html

Using Dosbox 0.74.

If I leave the game in default screen size it runs fine however the intro does not run at all. Nothing, not even a logo screen. The game automatically jumps to the point where Holmes is finally playable.

If I change the screen size to fullscreen=true in the dosbox config file the game jumps to the same spot. However everything appears frozen with no mouse control or on screen movement. Ctrl+F10 doesn't work. Pressing the window key minimizes the window and everything starts running albeit now only in the smaller window.

Has anyone run into this and overcome the problem? The Dosbox Status window doesn't give any kind of error message. I'd also previously tried the game in XP on a different machine and had the same issue.

Lupin The Third 16-08-2012 02:20 AM

Used the settings found here to get the game running fullscreen without the lockup:

http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubb.../726014/2.html

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=1280x800
windowresolution=original
output=ddraw
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

#

language=
machine=svga_s3
captures=capture
memsize=30

#

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=hq3x

#

core=auto
cycles=auto
cycleup=1000
cycledown=1000

#

nosound=false
rate=48000
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=20

#

mpu401=intelligent
device=default
config=

#

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=5
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=48000

#

gus=false
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

#

pcspeaker=true
pcrate=48000
tandy=auto
tandyrate=48000
disney=true

#

joysticktype=auto
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true

#

serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

#

xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=none

#

ipx=false

...however it's still missing the first 7-8 minutes of cinemas.

Also i wanted to tinker with these settings as they make the visuals look smugged (almost clay like) on my system. However I can't seem to restore the file to it's default settings. I've even deleted dosbox and reinstalled but the settings somehow remain. Any thoughts?

dosraider 16-08-2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin The Third (Post 445021)
Also i wanted to tinker with these settings as they make the visuals look smugged (almost clay like) on my system. However I can't seem to restore the file to it's default settings. I've even deleted dosbox and reinstalled but the settings somehow remain. Any thoughts?

Start -> dosbox 0.74 -> options -> reset options

The Fifth Horseman 16-08-2012 10:22 AM

output=ddraw does that. Change it to overlay.

Lupin The Third 17-08-2012 03:48 AM

Overlay makes the lock-up occur for me for some reason. I can press the window key and then switch back but then I lose fullscreen.

Any thoughts on the missing intro? I'm using the version from here on Abandonia but I seem to recall it missing from the ISO version I have stored away as well. Though that version I tried on a different machine running XP and shelved it to tinker with later. Now I'm on a new laptop with Windows 7 and I still can't play/view the first several minutes...

The Fifth Horseman 17-08-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin The Third (Post 445056)
Overlay makes the lock-up occur for me for some reason. I can press the window key and then switch back but then I lose fullscreen.

After some checking, it looks like DOSBox 0.74 in general has issues with this game. Check if downgrading to 0.73 helps.
Quote:

Any thoughts on the missing intro? I'm using the version from here on Abandonia but I seem to recall it missing from the ISO version I have stored away as well. Though that version I tried on a different machine running XP and shelved it to tinker with later. Now I'm on a new laptop with Windows 7 and I still can't play/view the first several minutes...
The intro is launched with a separate executable from the game. Inside the game directory there should be a holmes.bat file - run it in DOSBox. This was fairly common back then.

Lulu_Jane 17-08-2012 04:29 PM

Downgrading to the previous version 0.73 should most likely solve your problems. It's worked for most people in this thread who had problems previously :)

Lupin The Third 11-09-2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lulu_Jane (Post 445082)
Downgrading to the previous version 0.73 should most likely solve your problems. It's worked for most people in this thread who had problems previously :)

Tried that. Solved some of the problems but I still can't get the opening to run. Weird....maybe these will show up on GOG one day. Although with the spyware EA installed in the gog versions of Ultima I may still have to not be at the party.

Lulu_Jane 11-09-2012 06:13 AM

Did you try running holmes.bat as suggested The Fifth Horseman? :)

The Fifth Horseman 12-09-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin The Third (Post 445914)
the spyware EA installed in the gog versions of Ultima

Hm? Can you explain or link to an in-depth explanation?

Capo 12-09-2012 03:19 PM

At the time i have found the solution of that problem on Vogons, try to look there.

Nowhere Girl 26-10-2012 06:56 PM

It's possible that someone else has had this problem too, but I just don't want to go through 15 pages to check it out... Anyway, I can't get music to work in this game. (I had already played it more than once without music, but it's so incomplete...) I run the setup, choose the music device, choose "Make changes"... and when I run the game, I find out that it still is telling me to install. When I choose setup for the second (or third, or fourth) time, I find that it's "No music" again, as if I haven't made any changes before... Any advice?

NightC2win 29-08-2013 08:20 AM

game crash

The game works for the most part... it will crash unless i skip the into via esc. but at a certain point when I travel to the flower shop it will crash again and I cannot figure out how to get past! This game is a favorite of my childhood and I would really hope to complete it. Thanks.

Osprey850 31-08-2017 02:24 AM

FYI, the game is now supported by and playable in ScummVM. That's one way to get around any troubles playing it in DOSBox.

Also, there's a patch to make the music repeat instead of play only once at each location:

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/f...g-music-patch/

If that link ever stops working, look up the game at pcgamingwiki.com for a newer one or google "Repeating Music Patch" for the game.

Mystvan 10-09-2017 01:08 AM

I never played this game, but I remember that my older brother managed to finish this game.

I vaguely remember this game, but reviewing the screenshots available in the review of the game, I became very interested.

Maybe I will play this game later. I wonder if I can find the version 0.73 of Dropbox to run this game.

Osprey850 21-09-2017 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystvan (Post 468950)
I never played this game, but I remember that my older brother managed to finish this game.

I vaguely remember this game, but reviewing the screenshots available in the review of the game, I became very interested.

Maybe I will play this game later. I wonder if I can find the version 0.73 of Dropbox to run this game.

The 0.73 version of DOSBox is easy obtainable from the official SourceForge page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/dos...s/dosbox/0.73/

You can also use newer SVN builds that correct the bug in v0.74: https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Builds

Mystvan 24-09-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osprey850 (Post 469041)
The 0.73 version of DOSBox is easy obtainable from the official SourceForge page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/dos...s/dosbox/0.73/

You can also use newer SVN builds that correct the bug in v0.74: https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Builds

Wow! Thank you very much for the information, Osprey850. :OK:

I even thought about resorting to sites specializing in older versions of programs and / or drivers. :old:

I had forgotten that site... :headslap: :palm: :picard:

Mystvan 24-09-2017 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osprey850 (Post 469041)

Wow! Thank you very much for the information, Osprey850. :OK:

I even thought about resorting to sites specializing in older versions of programs and / or drivers. :old:

I had forgotten that site... :headslap: :palm: :picard:

The current time is 03:59 AM (GMT)