PDA

View Full Version : Firefox

Puffin
01-10-2004, 02:16 PM
Ok, I've been wondering. Should I get Firefox, or is it unneccisary? Most people say it's really good, but other say that it's not that much of a difference...
I've heard about some bugs in it, because of bad html that they got away with in IE, but is really clear in Firefox. Anybody had any probs with that?
What is the main difference? What are the advantages over IE?
My school forum is made for Firefox, so I have problems viewing it in Firefox.
Have you noticed any sites with the same problem? Good in Firefox, suck in IE?

Braindead
01-10-2004, 07:56 PM
yes sometimes sites show different in firefox and in internet explorer as an example the html comment tag <!-- this is a comment --> do you see me? -->
will show up in internet explorer as: do you see me? --> and in firefox you wont see anything.
Some sites don't work at all in firefox...

I like (and use) firefox because of:
- it's speed of execution
- tabbed browsing
- integrated download manager that allows you to choose a directory for all your downloads
- popup blocker

There are other advantages to firefox compared to IE but the above reasons is why I use firefox :sneaky:

Spaceball
01-10-2004, 11:52 PM
I use the Opera Browser. When I have a Problem there is a old Version fo Phoenix that I can use. With every version of Opera the problems getting lesser. They are really good in solving problems. If the Opera wouldn't exist I would use the Firefox or Mozilla. Personally I think its always better to use an alternative than the IE. Specially for the Pop Up Blocker.

cu, Spaceball

aaberg
02-10-2004, 10:34 AM
There is also a security isue. It can be more save to use an alternative browser than IE, because every hacker in the world, hacks on IE. Therfore the viruses and trojan horses you can get, if you visit certain websites with IE, you might not get with Firefox or Opera. :)

FreeFreddy
02-10-2004, 11:05 AM
Where can you get that Mozilla Firefox?

Data
02-10-2004, 11:47 AM
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

I use mozilla but firefox is good as well.

Braindead
02-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by aaberg@Oct 2 2004, 10:34 AM
There is also a security isue. It can be more save to use an alternative browser than IE, because every hacker in the world, hacks on IE. Therfore the viruses and trojan horses you can get, if you visit certain websites with IE, you might not get with Firefox or Opera. :)
there are security issues with firefox too... :)
try to run the latest version at all times...

hmm it's 'bout time i update my 0.9 version to 1.0 :)

Havell
02-10-2004, 09:50 PM
I'm now thinking about getting firefox but is it compatible with al the other windows stuff I've got on my computer? Will having firefox make outlook express not work because outlook express is in some way connected with internet explorer.

Puffin
02-10-2004, 10:02 PM
I just downloaded Firefox! The line in this window where I'm writing this message is kinda funky... The one that appears after each letter, ya know... Well, doesn't really matter ;)
But I haven't seen anything wrong with Firefox so far!! :ok:

Stroggy
02-10-2004, 10:12 PM
I downloaded firefox just now because I wanted to try it out (I think i'll stick to opera)
I can't say I see anything wrong with the bar... except that its a bit thick

The_EgAt
05-10-2004, 03:11 PM
I have been using Mozilla Firefox since version 0.8 and I have been in love since... It's just superior to IE in all ways. *hugs computer*

Data
05-10-2004, 06:06 PM
Everything is superiror to IE even Lynx (http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/lynx-screenshots.shtml)

Havell
05-10-2004, 06:32 PM
Hmmm. Can't seem to find the "free download" button that's supposed to be on that site.

Puffin
05-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/)

I ave it now. it's cool :ok:

Havell
05-10-2004, 08:20 PM
I have it now anyway, I did a google search and found the site was www.mozilla.org/download.html which there wasn't a link to form the main site but oh well, I've got it and I'm using it now.

Havell
05-10-2004, 08:27 PM
Wow, Flash now works! Firefox rules!

Puffin
05-10-2004, 10:55 PM
I really like it, actually!! :ok:

Jumjalum
06-10-2004, 06:48 PM
I've just started using Firefox, and its now my main browser. The only thing I don't like is organising and sorting my bookmarks. But then one of my favourite things is the wee graphics for personalised web icons don't disappear like they always did in IE.

Havell
06-10-2004, 07:24 PM
Thinking about that, Abandoina doesn't have its own little icon...

Puffin
10-10-2004, 03:04 PM
You know what really annoys me? I'm used to Firefox, but it's only on one of our computers. Mom doesn't want to change from IE on the others. So when I use another computer, either mom's or at school, ARGH!!!!! :not_ok:

Firefox RULZ :w00t:

Stroggy
10-10-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Puffin@Oct 10 2004, 03:04 PM
its this kind of cheery attitude that makes me skin crawl

Puffin
10-10-2004, 03:17 PM
That's the effects I was hoping to get. Make Stroggy's skin crawl. GO ME :w00t:

FreeFreddy
10-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Hehe, go Puffin! :P

Unknown Hero
10-10-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Puffin@Oct 10 2004, 05:04 PM
You know what really annoys me? I'm used to Firefox, but it's only on one of our computers. Mom doesn't want to change from IE on the others. So when I use another computer, either mom's or at school, ARGH!!!!! :not_ok:

I haven't installed Firefox, so maybe I can be wrong, but how come you can't install Firefox on other computers, and leave IE, so that your mom can use IE, and that you can use Firefox? :blink:

Stroggy
10-10-2004, 06:57 PM
Now if we did that we'd be entering Logic-territory
and us common folk don't venture on those grounds

FreeFreddy
10-10-2004, 08:30 PM
On that one I have to agree with you... <_<

Puffin
10-10-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Unknown Hero@Oct 10 2004, 06:01 PM
I haven't installed Firefox, so maybe I can be wrong, but how come you can't install Firefox on other computers, and leave IE, so that your mom can use IE, and that you can use Firefox? :blink:
Because I'm not allowed to download on other computers than my laptop :(
And CERTAINLY not at school :rolleyes:

Durak
11-10-2004, 03:27 AM
I can have Opera on my computer and IE. Plus I think the registered Opera is much better than Mozilla.

Nosam
11-10-2004, 11:05 PM
Sites need to start adding more Mozilla support. It is becoming the best internet browser out there(in my opinion)....hell...as I am writing this I am using Mozilla Firefox :ok:

Unknown Hero
11-10-2004, 11:35 PM
I saw Opera at my friend, and in one window, there can be seweral windows on the bar at the bottom of the browser. That's pretty cool, cuz on that way you wont have problems with too many opened windows (and it annoys me when all windows of browser are put together, on taskbar, since there are too many windows already open)!
Also in Firefox annoys me thing that I can't scrool through page, while I'm writeing something (like this)! I can only scrool if I click somewhere where it's not awailable to write!

I hope you understood what I'm trying to say!

Puffin
12-10-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Unknown Hero@Oct 11 2004, 11:35 PM
I saw Opera at my friend, and in one window, there can be seweral windows on the bar at the bottom of the browser. That's pretty cool, cuz on that way you wont have problems with too many opened windows (and it annoys me when all windows of browser are put together, on taskbar, since there are too many windows already open)!

You know, in Windows XP you CAN get a bigger taskbar! I didn't realize that untill recently. And that was a thing I missed from my Windows 98.
All you do is right-click on the taskbar, and there is this "Lock the Taskbar" thingie. Click that ;)
But on computers like mine with 13" screens, it's not really cool :not_ok: The screen gets even smaller :cry:

But people using firefox, have you found any sites that are just f**ked up in that browser but works fine in IE?
I found one, my webmail. The window where I write my messages is really narrow.

FreeFreddy
12-10-2004, 01:37 PM
You can even get a better looking Windows XP... Just look my favorite :sneaky:
Red Hell (http://www.abandonia.com/~freefreddy/Pics/Red%20Design.jpg)

Puffin
12-10-2004, 03:03 PM
Well, a friend of mine has XP that looks like MAC :P

Although I've never been a big fan of Macintosh :ph34r:

FreeFreddy
12-10-2004, 03:19 PM
I also have this style available for choose here, but it doesn't look very impressive. This one following does, though.
X Box design (http://www.abandonia.com/~freefreddy/Pics/X%20Box%20Design.jpg)

Havell
12-10-2004, 04:46 PM
Hmmm, nice, where can you download those mods for XP?

aaberg
12-10-2004, 05:59 PM
I have used both Opera, Mozilla and Firefox. I like Firefox the best.

I actually like Opera very much too, but I have experienced some sites where it didn't work, and I had to use IE. All of those sites work with Mozilla and Firefox. And I hate when I have to use two browsers.

FreeFreddy
12-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Hmmm, nice, where can you download those mods for XP?
Well, first you'll need a program that manages and sets them up. Here's the link: http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/softw...itung/style_xp/ (http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/software/bildbearbeitung/style_xp/)
In case the site won't be displayed in English, just click on these:
Style XP Weibliche Version (Englisch, 15.464 KB, Windows 2000/XP) (female version)
Style XP Männliche Version (Englisch, 11.532 KB, Windows 2000/XP) (male version)

The program itself is in English.
Btw., it's a shareware, so you only can use it for 30 days. If you don't register it by that time, either remove it again or it will make your Windows XP display very crappy, means it will look very ugly. :sneaky:
And now let's return to the topic again. ;)

auhsor
12-10-2004, 11:42 PM
I've been using Firefox since 0.9. It's been great, as it has tabbed browsing, skins and *heaps* of cool extensions.
What to block ads? Get AdBlock.
Want to be able to zoom on pictures on a page quickly with the scroll mouse? Use Image Zoom
There are many more.

It's good because it is actively been worked on and developed, unlike IE. Pretty much all the sites I go to work in Firefox. It is only rare that I have to go back to IE for an individual site.

JoA
16-10-2004, 06:41 AM
I've had Firebird, that's the version before Firefox was released, for a couple of years now, wouldn't change it for quids!

By the way, you don't loose IE when you install another browser, it's still there so you can choose to use whichever you like. In fact I don't think you can actually uninstall IE altogether anyway (so I was once told).

Timpsi
17-10-2004, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Unknown Hero@Oct 11 2004, 11:35 PM
I saw Opera at my friend, and in one window, there can be seweral windows on the bar at the bottom of the browser. That's pretty cool, cuz on that way you wont have problems with too many opened windows (and it annoys me when all windows of browser are put together, on taskbar, since there are too* many windows already open)!
Of course you know you can simply right-click the taskbar, choose Options and then uncheck "Group similar tasks" to disallow Windows XP from stacking the windows in the taskbar?

Firefox has tabbed browsing as well. Hold the Control key when clicking on a link.

the aloha
19-10-2004, 01:55 AM
firefox rocks me gently like mother used to when i was a baby.
i don't care for tabbed browsing, but i do like the quickness, stability, and the extendibilty i get with firefox.
the reason some sites show well in ie and not in firefox, or any browser based off of mozilla , is because firefox is built with w3c standards in mind. ie, is built with ms $ in mind. since ie is still more popular, many designers build for the quirks of ie; instead of a particular self-righteous group of web nerds.
opera is cool on its own, and although there are quick to fix the bugs, they seem to get a bunch of them.

as far as a favicon for the site, any 16x16 icon would do.
the code to put in the html would be
<link rel="icon" href="http://xxxx/xxx.ico">
ie only supports favicons when a page is bookmarked. firefox will display it anytime someone visits the site, plus it accepts gif as a favicon, thus bring up the prospect of an animated favicon.
i have attached a proposal favicon, if needed. another one will be in the next reply.

the aloha
19-10-2004, 01:56 AM
and here is the other one i spoke about earlier

i uploaded the gifs so you all can see them, but i do have .ico's of both.

Unknown Hero
21-10-2004, 12:11 AM
This problem occured to me in IE, too:
After a few days of using, Firefox suddenly stopped to show animated pictures (smileys and gifs), they just don't move. Anybody knows good solution? :help:

auhsor
22-10-2004, 12:08 AM
I've had a problem similar to that. If there is a gif on a forum the is set to scroll accross the forum, then sometimes only the first quarter of the picture loads. If you refresh it loads if properly. Quite strange.

Durak
22-10-2004, 12:24 AM
I don't know, I'm quite attached to my registered Opera. ^_^

Fluxy
24-10-2004, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Timpsi@Oct 17 2004, 07:36 AM

Firefox has tabbed browsing as well. Hold the Control key when clicking on a link.

Don't forget if you have a wheel mouse you can just click down on that.

But seriously, Firefox is amazing, nothing like it in the world. Internet Explorer won't even work now, and I have no trouble at all with FF.

Stroggy
24-10-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Durak@Oct 22 2004, 12:24 AM
I don't know, I'm quite attached to my registered Opera. ^_^
me too... sadly I can't view my gmail-page on opera :(

Puffin
24-10-2004, 01:38 PM
Wow I just started using the tabbed browsing... MAN it's great! My computer is so slow, sometimes it takes ages to skip between to open windows. But it's much easier in this tabbed thing... I love it :D

Danny252
26-10-2004, 08:02 PM
well, IE is good enough. with outside d/l manager, firewall, pop-up blocker, virus scanner and typist..

aaberg
26-10-2004, 08:06 PM
If you like IE, but would like some more features, download Maxthon (http://www.maxthon.com). It's a browser build on the IE core, but with some more features, like a very good popup blocker, and tab support. :ok:

the aloha
27-10-2004, 12:45 AM
yeah?
well,
If you like netscape, but would like some more features, download firefox. It's a browser build on the gecko engine, but with some more features, like a very good popup blocker, and tab support.

aaberg
27-10-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by the aloha@Oct 27 2004, 12:45 AM
yeah?
well,
If you like netscape, but would like some more features, download firefox. It's a browser build on the gecko engine, but with some more features, like a very good popup blocker, and tab support.
I actually use Firefox myself, I just wanted to give all the IE users an alternative browser, without them needing to switch to another core. And we have already made enough advertising for Firefox on this thread. I don't think anyone who read this thread, have any doubt about the features of Firefox.

:Titan:

auhsor
09-11-2004, 01:09 PM
Just a bump to announce that Firefox 1.0 is out... In case any of you forgot or didnt realise :P. The servers are pretty packed now, so you might have trouble getting extensions off the official site, at least for the next few hours.