PDA

View Full Version : Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimunth

Cyberyder
13-03-2005, 09:27 PM
Hi there!
I'm looking for a game that i was sure it was gobliiin but it isnt (none of the 3). However, some of the traits are similar: point and click interface. The game is set in a kind of futuristic environement and the think that stroke me is the lift leading to an upper part of the city in the middle of nowhere. In the biggining I know that there is a kind of slum and a bar. I know that this is very vague, but as i told you, I've played this game when i was much younger.

As I can remember, the graphics are a bit better than gobliiin 3.

Thank you to anyone who can figure out what the game i'm describing is!

GraveDigger
14-03-2005, 03:18 AM
this must be Goblin 4...

JJXB
14-03-2005, 06:08 AM
woodruff and the schnibble of azimuth?

Mad-E-Fact
14-03-2005, 07:43 AM
I thought the schnibble of azimuth was a 3d person adventure though, not point & click like he said?

hanging
14-03-2005, 08:36 AM
no its point and click.. not that large either. 187MB....

well the version when the reservatory was online was....

BlackMageJawa
14-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Woodruff and the WHAT?

Oh, I have to get my hands on that one. Anyone got a D/L link (as always, assuming it's abandoned)

Timpsi
14-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by BlackMageJawa@Mar 14 2005, 08:10 PM
Woodruff and the WHAT?

Oh, I have to get my hands on that one. Anyone got a D/L link (as always, assuming it's abandoned)
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1281

Rogue
14-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Here are screen shots:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/shots/gameId,2871/

Looks very interesting

DiamondSoul
14-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Boy that really DOES look like Goblins... :blink:

MdaG
15-03-2005, 07:14 AM
Has anyone made Woodruff work in XP?

I get "can't find <some file>"

or "incorrect screen"

Or something similar to that.

Mad-E-Fact
15-03-2005, 07:27 AM
D'oh, somehow I always had the image of Simon the Sorcerer 3d in my head when thinking of this game. :wall: Gotta get this one, looks nice.

Kon-Tiki
15-03-2005, 07:35 AM
Hmmm... looks awesome, and really alot like Goblins. Same artists and concept art, I suppose. Anyways, anybody know how to make the 143Mb fit into 100Mb?

Mad-E-Fact
15-03-2005, 07:57 AM
Using RAR instead of ZIP would help already. Why are all archives on Abandonia ZIP anyway? RAR would save some space and bandwidth...

Kon-Tiki
15-03-2005, 08:11 AM
Cause Zip is more standard for the technically clumsy people, I suppose. Got to take those into concideration too. It's more likely that they have an unzipper installed than an unrarrer, while the technical hotshots won't really mind zipfiles.

Mad-E-Fact
15-03-2005, 08:19 AM
I think you don't really get by nowadays anyway without having winRAR installed, when you are downloading stuff from the net. You could have a short hint in the review on what to get and where to get it, or a quick tutorial. Right now download speeds from Abandonia are really fast, and I'd hate them to go to HOTU levels, so I'm just suggesting an improvement for the future. ;)

TheSmyth
16-03-2005, 07:57 AM
Wouldn't RAR SFX files be better. And they're cross-platform to i believe. :ok:

Omuletzu
18-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Mad-E-Fact@Mar 15 2005, 10:57 AM
Using RAR instead of ZIP would help already. Why are all archives on Abandonia ZIP anyway? RAR would save some space and bandwidth...
Because zip archive can be accessed in DOS(pure).Rar for some reason can't be read :crazy:
EDIT: SFX archives are windows dependant, so they are not supported in DOS

TheSmyth
18-03-2005, 11:46 AM
http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
http://www.rarlab.com/rar_add.htm

They're supported by "UnRAR". Just like you need something like "PKUnZip" instead of "WinZip".

You can UnRAR any RAR file from any OS, and that Includes SFX files.
e.g. "c:>Unrar sfx.exe c:\Games\SFX" for DOS

SFX would just make it simpler for Windows users.

Omuletzu
18-03-2005, 11:51 AM
I remember i had trouble with the files from the underdogs, rar files, couldn't be read under DOS.I would try ace, and it would say it couldn't extract(unknown compression method).Rar wouldn't even recognize it as a archive :blink: .Regarding SFX, i always got the "This program can not be run in DOS" error...

TheSmyth
18-03-2005, 11:57 AM
If you try and run the sfx as a program, it gives you an error, but if you just try and unzip it using UNRAR, it treats it just like any other compressed file, and ignores the fact that it's an executable.

I use the method frequently to transfer files from my PC to an old Laptop i have (floppy drive only :cry: )

Rogue
18-03-2005, 12:21 PM
We all are running eather window, linux or osx, and I don't see it a problem for prople to un-archive files before they transfer them to their DOS machines.

I use to have a DOS machine, but I never copied zip files on it, but extracted files. That made it easier to work with the files.

Also, no way that someone is using DOS to access abandonia.

If I have a choice, I would like to see 7zip (new version of WinRAR also supports it) as I have best results with that archiver and its open source project.

Omuletzu
18-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Yes but all i'm saying is to keep to site DOS friendly.I mean sure we could use rar, and cut like 10% off, but then the DOS users would have to unpack and repack the contents using zip.While it is not a big deal, it goes against the general idea of the site, "dedicated to classic dos games".Oh and anubis, i remember somebody said he surfed the net, our site included, using arachne, a dos browser.

The Fifth Horseman
18-03-2005, 12:36 PM
7Zip is pretty good, to say so. Plus Total Commander can open its archives with no hassle.

I think that ZIP can be kept as storage method for smaller archives, but those over 15 MB should be packed for maximum compression.

If somebody is not technical enough to figure it out, then he better BECOME so.

TheSmyth
18-03-2005, 12:52 PM
For the difference in compression it makes between normal zips and the better compression types, it has to be worth it.

Less File Size = Less Bandwith = Possibly Faster Downloads :angel:

I agree with the_fifth_horseman (Ronnie? / Kaos?)
Anything over about 15mb should be better compressed. For the sake of a minute or more maybe of fiddling about once you have the file, some members would save literally hours on download times.
(I notice quite a few members still access using dial-up)

Rogue
18-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Omuletzu@Mar 18 2005, 08:32 AM
Yes but all i'm saying is to keep to site DOS friendly.I mean sure we could use rar, and cut like 10% off, but then the DOS users would have to unpack and repack the contents using zip.While it is not a big deal, it goes against the general idea of the site, "dedicated to classic dos games".Oh and anubis, i remember somebody said he surfed the net, our site included, using arachne, a dos browser.
There is a dos version of rar. Not sure about 7zip.
I believe that in our interest is to have smaller files. Faster downloads for user and less space used on server.

And that poor sould, he need to keep up with time. (Even if somebody uses Win3.1 with IE, I don't believe PHP is supported on that version of IE)

And I opened couple times abandonia in browser on Amiga. :) It did not look that bad. :)

Omuletzu
18-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Actually i admire the team that built this program, and i wish that sometime soon i can use it.
For more more info about this awesome product, check this site => (http://home.arachne.cz/)

But this is way off topic!

Mad-E-Fact
18-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Shifting this slightly back on the actual topic, I downloaded the game from HOTU, and while it's a .zip, it unpacks into a bunch of self-extrackting .rar files. The game itself is one big file of about 500MB + some other minor stuff, so I don't think you can squeeze it much more than they already did.

Sean
18-03-2005, 08:18 PM
Mad-E-Fact... could you download Abes Oddysey for me off HOTU and get it hosted somwhere... HOTU doesnt like me much..

Rogue
18-03-2005, 08:29 PM
:D

They ban users who try to download more then one thing at the time. :)

What have you done? :D

Sean
18-03-2005, 11:26 PM
No im not banned... its just everything takes ages 2 download because i dont have BitTorrent =P

Mad-E-Fact
19-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Then why don't you get BitTorrent? Besides, there is only a buy link for Odyssey, they have Exodus available though.

MrBackAlleySka
19-03-2005, 11:21 AM
LOL Bittorrent is free and everything too. And it's so simple. Plus, if you don't wanna follow the lead of everyone, and be diffrent, you can try TorrentStorm instead, same thing heh, just not as cpu intrusive, I think. Kinda like a BitTorrent Lite...