PDA

View Full Version : Conqueror 1086 scaling issues.

cas2313
08-09-2011, 11:46 PM
I booted this game up in dosbox, and works fine besides one problem; game cinematics are not scaled correctly. the best example i can give is jousting; its widescreen when its supposed to be fullscreen. any ideas?

Smiling Spectre
09-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Do you starting game in fullscreen or in window? With fullscreen it could be scaling problems that can be tuned in DOSBox settings, but with window - it can be native game feature... :)

The Fifth Horseman
09-09-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm guessing you mean the 320x200 and 640x400 resolutions with their 8:5 aspect rate as opposed to the 320x240 and 640x480 with the 4:3 rate.
This is easily fixed by enabling aspect correction in DOSBox.

Start -> Programs -> DOSBox 0.74 -> Options -> DOSBox 0.74 Options
If your Windows asks what do you want to open the file with, pick Notepad.

Now move down to the section starting with [render] .
Several lines below, you'll find aspect=false . Change it to aspect=true and save the changes.

Expack2
09-09-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm guessing you mean the 320x200 and 640x400 resolutions with their 8:5 aspect rate as opposed to the 320x240 and 640x480 with the 4:3 rate.
This is easily fixed by enabling aspect correction in DOSBox.

Start -> Programs -> DOSBox 0.74 -> Options -> DOSBox 0.74 Options
If your Windows asks what do you want to open the file with, pick Notepad.

Now move down to the section starting with [render] .
Several lines below, you'll find aspect=false . Change it to aspect=true and save the changes.
Actually, Fifth, it has nothing to do with that - instead, it's because I used the "double" compression method when converting the Smacker-format video files. What this does is double the scanlines by height; since the preceeding isn't exactly easy-to-understand, I'll quote directly from the official online manual (http://www.radgametools.com/binkhcws.htm) for Smacker compression (ignore the mention of Bink in the quote - although this quote is referring to the modern Smacker format, the old Smacker format still operates under the same principle):
Scaling compression takes a, say, 640x480 video and compresses it at 640x240 - then, at runtime, the Bink player stretches the video window back up to 640x480. Since Conqueror A.D. isn't expecting this, it plays back the cinematics as though they weren't scale-compressed - thus resulting in the problem cas2313 brought up.

Although I know how to correct the problem while maintaining a relatively small combines filesize, it would require me to re-compress all the Smacker files non-essential to gameplay, and leave alone all the ones which are. Because of a speed-bug in Windows XP and higher, I'd need to have someone use the last standalone version of Smacker Video Tools (this version outputs files usable by DOS games using the Smacker video format) to render the videos under Windows 95 or 98.

cas2313
10-09-2011, 04:05 AM
It has everything to do with troubleshooting (on-site games support), there's no other place for it.

Right. i wish i could help somehow, i have vista. its a shame that its not an easy fix :(

The Fifth Horseman
11-09-2011, 07:09 AM
Although I know how to correct the problem while maintaining a relatively small combines filesize, it would require me to re-compress all the Smacker files non-essential to gameplay, and leave alone all the ones which are. Because of a speed-bug in Windows XP and higher, I'd need to have someone use the last standalone version of Smacker Video Tools (this version outputs files usable by DOS games using the Smacker video format) to render the videos under Windows 95 or 98.My secondary PC is running 98. Do you have any notes on how to perform this process?

cas2313
17-09-2011, 03:34 PM
im almost tempted to download the iso thats been uploaded, but then i'd have to sit there for hours and manually download everything :/

zirkoni
17-09-2011, 04:01 PM
then i'd have to sit there for hours and manually download everything :/
To download games from the ISO cellar easily, use jDownloader (http://jdownloader.org/)
Simply paste the provided links into its link grabber, and jDownloader will do the rest for you!
nuff said

DarthHelmet86
17-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Use JDownloader, there is a link at the top of the ISO forum. It will download all the parts for you by itself.