PDA

View Full Version : Games

Durak
02-11-2004, 02:55 AM
Just a quite note.

It's sort of neat that a lot of the games on the site are rated by editor 4 or 5 and recieve a 3 by public ratings. Is it because some vote more than once? Is it because editors enjoy abandonware more, and they are reviewing it? Is it because the average of votes are off? Well, your guess is probably as good as mine but it's sort of interesting to see.

Iron_Scarecrow
02-11-2004, 03:52 AM
I think that whoever is reviewing the game would have to like it cause to do a review you would have to go through most of the game and probably even complete it. And most people wouldn't really be bothered to finish a game they don't like to play just to do a review. I think that is why most reviewers rating are 4 or 5. Then when you come to the public votes you'll get people who do like the game and those who don't like the game, therefore the lower average rating. Everyone has different tastes in games.

Maikel
02-11-2004, 07:32 AM
The more people vote, The more different opinions come into play. You always have the occasional ''1'' posters also, which I really don't understand but that's me.

A 3 is also anything between a 5 and a 6,9. It's a area which you'll see a lot of games in when many votes are counted.

wormpaul
02-11-2004, 09:09 AM
I think that the person that reviews the game just really get into the game and love all what he see...but the vote`s on the internet are really based on what people know about the game and what they see on the screenshots...

Most people vote before they play the game...

Dream
02-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Iron_Scarecrow@Nov 2 2004, 04:52 AM
I think that whoever is reviewing the game would have to like it cause to do a review you would have to go through most of the game and probably even complete it. And most people wouldn't really be bothered to finish a game they don't like to play just to do a review. I think that is why most reviewers rating are 4 or 5. Then when you come to the public votes you'll get people who do like the game and those who don't like the game, therefore the lower average rating. Everyone has different tastes in games.
Not true, I finish every game I review, and yes most of my games were rated by 3. I play strategic games and some of them can be pretty dry for some, or some people don't have enough patience which is why I think most of people give it 3.

Examples: Hidden Agenda, Floor 13

The Niles
02-11-2004, 04:15 PM
I think some reviewers are too kind to games they review. Not every game is a classic and even games that would deserve a "3" rating are good enough to play in my book. I would like reviewers to be more conservative when rating games.

I use this system for rating games.

5] Absolute classic, You are not worthy of the name human being unless you played this game.
4] Great game, everyone will enjoy this one but it falls short of a true classic for some reason.
3] Good but not great, there is something wrong here that will annoy some but despite that your not wasting your time with this game.
2] So so, true fans of the genre might take a passing interrest but in all honesty even they will agree this game is seriously flawed.
1] DUNG HOLE, this game is not even worth the small amount of space it takes up on your harddrive. It's the reason there is no world peace and why Cherr still makes records.

I hope future reviewers will take note of this.

Iron_Scarecrow
03-11-2004, 04:12 AM
Well I reviewed Future Wars. Still isnt up by the looks of it. But I gave it a 5. It doesn't fit into your interpretation of what a 5 should be. But I gave it a 5 cause it had a good story, pretty good graphics, I liked the sounds, and there was nothing about the game that irritated me or made me frustrated. I think your standards of a 5 is just a little too high.

wormpaul
03-11-2004, 07:58 AM
Nope..

A game like that deservers a 4 in my opinion!!

When it`s not frustrating it can be a 4

But it needs something special to get a 5!

Iron_Scarecrow
03-11-2004, 09:12 AM
Something special????!!!! I think you people are looking for something that just doesnt exist. Or come across that often.

But I saw that 7 Days a Skeptic got a 5, and 5 Days a Stranger didn't. Both should get a 5 in my opinion, even by your standards.

Maikel
03-11-2004, 10:13 AM
That's what we call : opinions. It's all a matter of your own opinion. That's why people have the option to give their own opinion aside of the one of the reviewer.

And when a lot of opinions collide they are taken in account at the end score

Lot's of people give 1 and 2's + lot's of people giving 4 and 5's results in the 3 area..

wormpaul
03-11-2004, 11:10 AM
I almost never give normal games a 1 or 2...

Only games that are so weak...but that aren`t much games :not_ok:

Iron_Scarecrow
03-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Well I have to say that I don't vote.

Havell
03-11-2004, 03:53 PM
I agree with The Picard in the the rating of 5 should be reversed for classics, otherwise, if we had given a 5 to any game that came along and gave a few minutes fun, how would people tell the difference between them and the classics?

Eagle of Fire
03-11-2004, 04:27 PM
I also completely agree with The Picard. A rating of 5 is possible, think of Master of Orion, UFO: Ennemy Unknown and Civilization, for starters...

TheVoid
03-11-2004, 05:11 PM
I gave my only 5 to Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy. Pity there's not a 6.
I gave 4 even to a classic like Adventure, which although being the first adventure ever made is bit too short and some other minor flaws.

I regret having given a 4 to Riders of Rohan, a 3 would have been more fair.

Durak
04-11-2004, 01:19 AM
I don't regret giving NetStorm a 5 in the slightest. =)

Maikel
04-11-2004, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by wormpaul@Nov 3 2004, 12:10 PM
I almost never give normal games a 1 or 2...

Only games that are so weak...but that aren`t much games :not_ok:
1 and 2's won't be added :D

Well maybe it's an idea to extend the ratings from 1 to 5 to 1 to 10. A bigger differentiation. I will have to see if it's possible to do it without much trouble, otherwise it's not worth it.

wormpaul
04-11-2004, 08:02 AM
I got now a game that deserves a 3..

Is that good enough for on the site??

It`s not a bad game, only to simple to deserve a 4 :angel:

Maikel
04-11-2004, 08:04 AM
It depends. Abandonia is all about quality and classics. So if the game is either a ''not perfect classic which a lot of people like'' or ''I believe a lot of people can actually have a good time with it'' .. then it's ok to put it on. Otherwise it isn't .

wormpaul
04-11-2004, 08:07 AM
OK, it goes about the game Pipe o Mania..

It`s really a small game but i had fun with it, so that`s why i decided that we can get it on the site...but still playing the game so i can give all level codes with the review :angel:

Iron_Scarecrow
04-11-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Nov 3 2004, 05:27 PM
I also completely agree with The Picard. A rating of 5 is possible, think of Master of Orion, UFO: Ennemy Unknown and Civilization, for starters...
I haven't played Master of Orion. But the other two deserve 1's. Shocking, your perfect 5's are being thrown around without any thought.

Tom Henrik
04-11-2004, 12:57 PM
This is the system I use when I rate a game.

5 -- The game doesn't have any downsides, and is extremely well made.
(I look at the size, the length of the game, graphic, sound, controls and so on. Then I judge the game up against the other games made this period and the other games in the series).

4 -- The game is excellent, but could have been made better. Something is amiss.

3 -- Enjoyable. Some will like the game, some will not.

2 -- Wow... This game is only for hardcore fanatics!

1 -- How could this game get past the quality control? :blink:

Kon-Tiki
04-11-2004, 01:09 PM
I give my ratings like this:

5) Still reading? Download and play, goddamnit!
4) Great game, but there might be people who'd get annoyed because of some things.
3) Good game, but could've been done better
2) Worth in a collection, but if you're looking for a good time, look further
1) Crap

Eagle of Fire
04-11-2004, 04:39 PM
I don't regret giving NetStorm a 5 in the slightest. =)

I do, NetStrom sure deserve a 4 but is far from being a classic or perfect, very far... I know, I played that game for 1 and a half year!

Durak
04-11-2004, 10:29 PM
Well I guess you weren't very good or you never REALLY played the game. It is so brilliantly made with teamplay and combinations which make each fury equal. The idea was brilliant and it has been so far different from any other strategy game since it can't be reproduced nearly as well.

Another part of the game is the society. The zones aren't loaded with people and you really make good friends. It makes the game much more fun for 2 v 2 and 3 v 3 (like most other games you play with friends multiplayer) and the teamwork is very enjoyable.

auhsor
05-11-2004, 01:44 AM
I think that we should implement ratings out of 10. A rating for a game of 3 usually doesn't seem that great, however most of my favourite games on this site have a user rating of 3, and that annoys me.

For example, the Space Quest Games. They are one of my favourite series, but evey one of those games has a user rating of 3. I know they might not be everyones cup of tea, but they are awesome games, and do deserve more than that. It seems people are rating of just the look of the game, without even playing them. :huh:

Eagle of Fire
05-11-2004, 02:39 AM
Well I guess you weren't very good or you never REALLY played the game. It is so brilliantly made with teamplay and combinations which make each fury equal. The idea was brilliant and it has been so far different from any other strategy game since it can't be reproduced nearly as well.

Another part of the game is the society. The zones aren't loaded with people and you really make good friends. It makes the game much more fun for 2 v 2 and 3 v 3 (like most other games you play with friends multiplayer) and the teamwork is very enjoyable.

The game was way more enjoyable when there was actually people to fight with. There was, at the time I was playing, a lot of bugs and cheating which really brought the game down.

As for playing, I was very good. My brother was even better than me, but not that far. Recently my brother began playing again (after downloading the game from here) and his fun was to play with a level one against higher ranked people and still win! He was going from levels to levels until he played against someone who cheated against him. He could not build anything at all on his island for the exception of his temple and bridges. He was really pissed since that cheat continued for his other games afterward... He had to start all over.

No need to say that he did not bothered.

For the gameplay, it's brilliant. But play it for a year and you'll notice that it always end up the same; someone get a flying unit and try to grab your priest with the offensive spells or they go Wind with crosbows... Or die trying something else...

So, I definitly say that, while this game is really good, it doesn't deserve a 5 because it has several flaws.

Durak
06-11-2004, 12:04 AM
First of all, you haven't played the game for a mightly long time and all that has changed.

Secondly, the sides are more even so it's not all crossbows anymore.

Third, people don't play with spells anymore (you can turn them off as battlemaster) except for the new people.

Fourth, there is no more cheating with the new patch.

Fifth, it isn't very fun to play against rankers and only new people rank. Ranking doesn't show any skill since it would just show who plays more. Also, most good people play 2 v 2 or 3 v 3 with rank 1 forts for enjoyment (Mainly play 1 v 1 if not too many people online or if they feel threatened by an insult "You suck" or such).

Lastly, quite a fair number of people play now, especially now that it's on Abandonia and a lot of other sites ^_^.

Eagle of Fire
06-11-2004, 04:17 AM
I played again when the game came back on Abadonnia... And I can argue most of what you just said easily.

Tom Henrik
06-11-2004, 10:34 AM
And that is why we use the rating system. So that you may give your vote by a simple click, instead of filling a topic with them. Views are different. What you love, others will hate. It's called experience.

wormpaul
06-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Indeed..

Or just taste :angel:

The Niles
06-11-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by TheVoid@Nov 3 2004, 06:11 PM
I gave my only 5 to Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy. Pity there's not a 6.
I gave 4 even to a classic like Adventure, which although being the first adventure ever made is bit too short and some other minor flaws.

I regret having given a 4 to Riders of Rohan, a 3 would have been more fair.
Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy deserves a five in my opinion. Everyone should have played that game at one point in there lives. It's one of the true classic classics.

Iron_Scarecrow
07-11-2004, 12:41 AM
Never played it. And don't plan on ever playing it. I will die a happy man if I never play it.

Tom Henrik
07-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Then you can't judge the game.

Sebatianos
07-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Iron_Scarecrow@Nov 7 2004, 03:41 AM
Never played it. And don't plan on ever playing it. I will die a happy man if I never play it.
Just be careful that Arthur doesn't kill you in all your re-incarnations for not playing this game!
You won't be a happy man, bug, rabbit, plant, fly, bat,...

Iron_Scarecrow
07-11-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Nov 7 2004, 12:30 PM
You won't be a happy man, bug, rabbit, plant, fly, bat,...
LOL LOL LOL LOL

Then you can't judge the game.

I wasn't judging the game at all. Just pointing out that I don't feel a need to play it.

Eagle of Fire
07-11-2004, 04:25 PM
Same here. I'm really not into adventure games and don't plan to ever try it.

However I would never argue about something I don't know about. Even less try to give it a rating!

Iron_Scarecrow
08-11-2004, 04:36 AM
Neither would I. But I have seen people who do it.
Also I hate it when people read ratings of movies then base their descision on whether they are going to see it or not on them. They haven't even considered the fact that they are making a descision based on other people opinions. I ignore ratings, I ignore articles. If I think a movie looks interesting, I'll watch it.

Eagle of Fire
08-11-2004, 05:26 AM
When I read a critic on something, especially movies, I try to focus on the true facts the reviewer give away with it's critic, not the oppinion of the person. An oppinion is often useless in those case.

Iron_Scarecrow
08-11-2004, 05:47 AM
Well I don't read them or listen to them at all.

Sebatianos
08-11-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Iron_Scarecrow@Nov 8 2004, 07:36 AM
Also I hate it when people read ratings of movies then base their descision on whether they are going to see it or not on them. They haven't even considered the fact that they are making a descision based on other people opinions. I ignore ratings, I ignore articles. If I think a movie looks interesting, I'll watch it.
I agree on that, but with games, well sometimes a review can give you important hints!
But all was trying to say was, don't knock it until you've try it!

The Niles
08-11-2004, 02:13 PM
If a large number of people have given their opinions on a game and the rating is just a one or a two there is a good change the game itself is not good.