Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-12-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
MrBackAlleySka
Hero Gamer

Quick question here guys, and I know i'm asking the right crowd.

For your everyday, DirectX using, 3d games you buy today,games from around 2001 to now, you sometimes see in the options, to run the game fullscreen or windowed.

However I never figured it out, which would make a game run BETTER? Which gives better fps, which makes the cpu drag less, and which requires less ram? Or does it make any diffrence?

Say I have a game running 800x600. Which will make the game run smoother, fullscreen or windowed? I assume fullscreen, but I've never actually been TOLD one way or another, which is better?
MrBackAlleySka is offline                         Send a private message to MrBackAlleySka
Old 22-12-2005, 03:57 PM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Full screen always give better performances. I have no idea whatsoever why some people would want to play in windowed mode, but there should be a good reason.
Old 22-12-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

yes, there are- if your teacher is somewhere behind you and you can cover this small window, with your body during the lesson =)
but its slower of course
Old 22-12-2005, 06:15 PM   #4
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

I think that full screen mode should be faster, because if you run an 800x600 game and your desktop has more pixel it will be setted in the low-res to be played in full screen, so the graphic performances speed up!
Old 22-12-2005, 07:13 PM   #5
Caged
Game Wizzard

on slower computers, ruinning a direct3d or openGL game will run smoother when in windowed mode. Don't ask me why, but it always has, and you will get better FPS. It may also be coincidental, but I also found that when playing multiplayer games, a window will hold a better ping.
Caged is offline                         Send a private message to Caged
Old 22-12-2005, 07:31 PM   #6
kleine777
Game freak

for me a small screen is in some games much much faster
kleine777 is offline                         Send a private message to kleine777
Old 23-12-2005, 09:43 AM   #7
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

well not for me
it is logic to run fulscreen faster, cuz if you are in windowed mode then computer needs to "draw" antoher things (desktop, other windows, or anything else you run) too
when running in fullscreen it dont need to
Old 23-12-2005, 11:59 AM   #8
SupSuper
Games Master

You might want the game in a window if you don't want the display to change to the game's resolution everytime you start it. It also makes for easier task-switching (switching from a windowed game to the desktop doesn't take as long as from a fullscreen game).
SupSuper is offline                         Send a private message to SupSuper
Old 23-12-2005, 12:55 PM   #9
duckpatch
Game freak

Depends what you need it for. For example, you can be using a walkthrough or trainer or chatting on MSN or in class or playing a soccer manager game that doesn't need to be fullscreen...

But for shooting games you must use fullscreen since the mouse can cause havic on the side of the window :P
duckpatch is offline                         Send a private message to duckpatch
Old 23-12-2005, 03:38 PM   #10
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

The logic behind this is if you play a game in Windowed mode, the computer need to recalculate everything (graphical wise) depending of the size of the window instead of having it directly set as "default" in fullscreen. At least that's how it work for most old games, and this can be a very tedious task for your CPU (thus eating ressources) unless you have a good graphic card installed on your system.