Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #831
Psyringe
Default PLIGHT - expanded & corrected MoM help text, first release

Hi there - nice to see an active topic about Master of Magic.

Kyrub's unofficial patch inspired my to finally complete a project that I started long ago - a complete overhaul of all help texts in Master of Magic. If you want to have a look, here's the link:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=391983

Feel free to leave feedback.

Old 17-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #832
Oskatat
Game freak

actually, i think anyone who is a veteran or even a normal player never views the guide for this game. I never did, and the only reason i dont win every game is that i often get bored halfway
Oskatat is offline                         Send a private message to Oskatat
Old 17-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #833
Scatty
Treasure hunter

With Kyrub's unofficial patch you should stop being bored since the game isn't as easy anymore as it was with official patches.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 18-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #834
Psyringe

I agree that having external information or help is not necessary to win the game. However, I also think that external info IS necessary to understand many rules, exceptions, and idiosyncrasies which are nowhere explained in the original documentation.

For example, without external sources I probably wouldn't have found out that Elemental Armor is an effective defense against the ranged attacks of Shadow Demons (because despite being death summonings, they shoot with chaos magic). Or that I can web magic-immune creatures, I probably wouldn't have seen a point in even trying. Or that 'Move Fortress' can actually change my main race and calm down lots of rebels in my cities. Of course, knowing these things is not necessary to win the game. But I think it's useful nevertheless.

Also, I have to admit that I don't play MoM continuously. I usually play a couple of games, then let it rest for a while playing other games, and some weeks or months later I'll cycle back to MoM. If enough time has passed, I will have forgotten lots of details - the exact stats of certain creatures, which attack types are resolved before melee, how the cost for rush-building is calculated, whether or not I'll waste production when I switch projects, etc. I think it's helpful to have this information at hand, especially when starting to play the game, or when returning to it after a break.

When I started creating Plight, my intention was to collect all this information that I kept forgetting between my MoM playing bouts in one easily accessible place. My hope is that others may find that useful too. But I'm definitely not saying "you need this to win the game", that wasn't even my intention when I worked on it.

Old 21-10-2010, 05:47 AM   #835
Catnub

dragonsword.com is down indefinitely, and I'm trying to start up a new MoM community at RB, please go here if you're interested:
http://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5
We aim to have all the features Dragonsword had and then some, hope to see you there.

Old 22-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #836
Nivm

Why is there a personal announcement from 1999 at the top of the page?

Old 25-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #837
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catnub View Post
dragonsword.com is down indefinitely, and I'm trying to start up a new MoM community at RB, please go here if you're interested:
What do you mean, down indefinitely? Has the site closed, and if so, why? Is this insider information you have?
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 26-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #838
Psyringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodin View Post
What do you mean, down indefinitely? Has the site closed, and if so, why? Is this insider information you have?
According to the (previous) owner of DragonSword, the site is gone (he doesn't own the domain anymore), and will not return. I recommend the forum at Realms Beyond, linked above in Catnub's post, as a new gathering place for people interested in playing and (especially) patching and modding Master of Magic.

Old 26-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #839
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyringe View Post
According to the (previous) owner of DragonSword, the site is gone (he doesn't own the domain anymore), and will not return. I recommend the forum at Realms Beyond, linked above in Catnub's post, as a new gathering place for people interested in playing and (especially) patching and modding Master of Magic.
Thank you, Psyringe. You are as helpful here as you are up in the Bethsoft forums (if that's you, too).
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 27-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #840
Psyringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodin View Post
Thank you, Psyringe. You are as helpful here as you are up in the Bethsoft forums (if that's you, too).
There can be only one (guy with such a strange name)

Yup, same guy. Haven't been at the Elder Scrolls forums for quite a while, but I'll certainly will revisit them sooner or later. Thanks for the compliments.

Also, I noticed that the link in Catnub's post is actually a little bit outdated (it links to general discussion, but MoM has its own subforum now). New link:
http://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/f...splay.php?f=56