Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
RobsomeAwesome

Talking Mobile device gaming. (Android)

Hello all,
I know I'm not the only one here with an android os device. So what is the best way to play these classic games on our devices? I already have ScummVM and all of the plugins installed, as well as Day of the Tentacle and DreamWeb. It plays them quite well actually. Granted the games are an x386 requirement.
I've tried DosBox, but it keeps telling me my "computer " doesn't have enough memory (9mbs lol). I've only tried loading shadow warrior (made by 3drealms). Which back in 96 was a pretty graphic intensive game, but it only required an x486. Who knows...

Anyone else try these methods? And if so, what was you best performance settings as well as game(s)?

Awaiting an answer,
Rob
RobsomeAwesome is offline                         Send a private message to RobsomeAwesome
Old 16-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Can't tell you much about Android as I don't own it, but just a note - Shadow Warrior requires 16MB of RAM as far as I remember. Also 486DX2-66 was an absolute minimum requirement to run it, with at least 486DX4-100 or a Pentium processor being recommended. Also DosBox itself also needs some memory for running, which might leave you indeed with far too little memory left.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 16-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Japo
Autonomous human

You can't compare the CPU requirements of a DOS game with the CPU that is required to run it in DOSBox. DOSBox uses up a lot of resources in emulating hardware by software. You can have a factor of over 100 between the original MHz requirement and the one with DOSBox. About RAM, DOSBox doesn't automatically take over all your RAM for DOS programs. You may have to change its settings to increase the RAM available inside DOSBox.

ScummVM on the other hand is a native application for each device that reads the game data files like the original engine for DOS did; this means the original CPU requirement is meaningless too, but in this case there is no overhead so the requirements of ScummVM in your phone will be equally low.

I don't play DOS games in the phone, but I do have emulators for several consoles installed, since those games have simpler gameplay and controls better suited to phone interfaces. But we can't discuss console gaming very far in this forum...