Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Your Reviews
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default HoMM 4

Tried out, and I think got the basic grip on it.

1) Looks strange, especially to HoMM 3. I understand the need to change to interface to call sequels "new game", but the graphic in town got really lame.

2) The movement-animation is painful to suffer. First: it is slow like movement in Diablo 1. Second: it takes AGES to reach from here to there.

3) Ok, there's no upgrade for buildings and cratures. But come on, why no marketplace? We still suffer from inadequate materials time to time!

4) There is nothing explaining additional teaching strucures anywhere. Do they give random abilities, or fixed? In case of magic: I have to learn the proper school to aquire the spells / be able to cast the spells?

5) combat is downright stupid. In previous parts of the series you could play "chase me" with enemy and win while substantially underpowered. This is cutted out when the combat grid is not implemented, and forces you to rely on raw power.

6) I miss the evidently "evil" quests. Also the pirate-story and the barbarian story seems just a rip-off from the Armageddon Blade campaigns.

7) I'm missing stuff from the manual like monster stats, complete spell list etc.

8) it seems ridiculous to send around 1st level 1 creature "parties" to gather resources. Well, sounds better then the old "chain of heroes" thing, but it just sounds plain cheesy.

All in all it doesn't seem unplayable, but definitly negative to my expectations.
Old 31-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
BranjoHello
Skilled WormMaster

1) Not strange but beautiful

2) You can increase movement in options menu

3) There is a marketplace in towns, but it has higher prices that the one you can find on world map

4) I don't understand what you just said here

5) combat could be a little better, but it's far from stupid

6) No comment

7) You have both if you know where to look

8) If its ridiculous than don't do it, I know I haven't done it

Play it little more and READ THE GOD DAMNED STORIES, after extraordinary music stories are the main plus of HoMM4.

BranjoHello is offline                         Send a private message to BranjoHello
Old 31-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

You suffer from the good old "HoMM4isnotHoMM3-itis"...

1. That's personal taste.
2. Only the animations are slow, and the map itself is larger.
3. There IS a marketplace, you need to build it for yourself.
4. Not sure about the first part. But second part: In order to be able to cast a spells of a certain school you need to be trained on the required level of the said school. For example, the level 5 spell Armageddon requires you to be a level 5 Chaos Spellcaster.
5. You're only missing the old combat system because it was a lot easier.
6. The Necromancer campaign might be evil enough. (The one where they're torching someone on a bonfire.)
7. You're on the internet, right?
8. Wait until the enemy starts to lurk around your towns, or set the difficulty higher, or disregard resource collection until it is necessary.

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker
Old 31-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I'm not sure if it was in HoMM4 or in 5 (or in both)(and I don't care to bother checking either), but there is two things which completely put me off in those games:

1) The battleboard was so retarded, it was unplayable. Gone are the big lgical squares, now you have a battleboard with a thousand small squares. How do you squeeze your units in a way to block the opponents? I never been able to do it. Never been able to place my units exactly where I wanted. Battles are what you do to win and what you do most in this kind of game, so it was it for me.

2) When they got the heroes on the battle board they were both so overpowered or so weak it is not even worth mentioning further.
Old 31-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
You suffer from the good old "HoMM4isnotHoMM3-itis"...

2. Only the animations are slow, and the map itself is larger.
3. There IS a marketplace, you need to build it for yourself.
4. Not sure about the first part. But second part: In order to be able to cast a spells of a certain school you need to be trained on the required level of the said school. For example, the level 5 spell Armageddon requires you to be a level 5 Chaos Spellcaster.
5. You're only missing the old combat system because it was a lot easier.
6. The Necromancer campaign might be evil enough. (The one where they're torching someone on a bonfire.)
2. so the animation IS slow. and the size of the map makes it even slower. Means bad design.

3. No, you don't build marketplace. I've managed to find the marketplace, it is on the world map's main menu.

4. I've found spell list in the manual, but no monster list. It is inconvenient to check price and abilities from the net. Also sounds like building the additional spell schools not worth if noone has the skill.
Finaly: the subclass-system overcomplicates life. Like Crusader instantly gives max. moral, while two other class gives either +1 or +2 moral. WTF? This is serious? I say this is stupid.

Also I'm interested in what hapopens if I have two magic school and gain the similar skills of extra mana/spell per day.

Also not really understand what they thought when designing Death magic, what to be used in full DEMANDS Nature magic.

5. No, I miss the old system because it provided TACTIC. Now it is just pure bash 'em.

6. There is no "necromancer campaign". The "half dead" campaign of course looks interesting, sound like THE best possible campaign, it still suffers you (the protagonist) trying to be the good guy.

+1: no idea about the exp system. If I have more then one hero in a group and I do battle, the exp is devided amongst them, or everyone gets equal? If previous then there is no reason to unite heroes when more then one can be carried over, while the later can result in the same lame thing as Disciples 2 where you are allowed only 1 group what'd have to be everywhere at once and that sucks.

Anyway, finished the first day of the first week of the first campaign, and it took me 2 entire real life hour...
Old 03-11-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
Pex
Game Wizzard

In all honesty, if the game wasn't a part of HoM&M series, people would've liked it much more, without having to compare it to previous sequels (or following ones for that matter). I liked it, but I can't say I loved it. All of you made some valid points.

I also didn't like the whole skill structure and experience system, with your heroes getting new class depending on the skills they choose. Due to some skills being useless (although, that didn't start with this game), I would always end up with the same multiclass for all my heroes of one starting class.

Having heroes directly participating in the battles was somewhat refreshing idea, but all it did was making beginning of the campaign very difficult and end very easy.

I liked caravans for moving creatures, although pool of creatures that you have in part 6 is even better in that regards.

So, in my opinion the worst game in the series, but still a good game if looked on its own.