Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
JackOLantern

Default Stone Prophet: Install From IMG Dilemma

Hello,

I downloaded the IMG from the Cellar, and after much noobiness, I think I have it fully set as an IMG and mounted it properly (can't wait for Windows 8 mounting features). However, after setting C:\placename as my C drive, and mount E E:\ for the IMG, my install seems to lockup after I enter INSTALL as a command. Do I need files on the C drive, and in general am I doing something wrong?

Please let me know what further information I can provide.

Thanks,

~Jack
JackOLantern is offline                         Send a private message to JackOLantern
Old 26-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Can you state the exact commands as you entered them? (a screenshot will do fine)

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 02-04-2012, 03:50 AM   #3
JackOLantern

I have attached a screenshot.

My commands were as follows:

MOUNT C C:\OLDGAMES

MOUNT E E:\

E:\INSTALL

I have the IMG mounted on E. I have tested the install with a STONE folder created and without a STONE folder.

~Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Can you state the exact commands as you entered them? (a screenshot will do fine)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StoneI1.png
Views:	347
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	1580  
JackOLantern is offline                         Send a private message to JackOLantern
Old 02-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
dosraider
Dismembered.

To mount an image or CD drive correctly you must add -t cdrom
In your case it would be:
mount d e:\ -t cdrom

Remark: as usual in Dos times it's highly recommended to mount your drive/image as D not as E, will avoid problems with (mostly) early CD games.
Drive letters assigned in dosbox have nothing to see with the real Win drive letters.

Remark²: dosbox has an almost perfect working imgmount command to mount images directly.
imgmount d x:\folder\name.iso -t cdrom
or
imgmount d x:\folder\name.cue -t cdrom

Remark³: If you're on Win7 you really should avoid c:\oldgames but use a folder in your own user folders, will avoid all kinds of read/write unpredictable restrictions.
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=22241

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 02-04-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: grmmmpffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 02-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
JackOLantern

I have mounted D as the CD drive, used my windows folder (as I use Windows 7) for the C: and used the -t cdrom for the D MOUNT. Note that for RLOFT, I mounted E as the CD drive, used a C directory, and MOUNTED E as E:\ -t cdrom for installation purposes only.

However, I understand the need to use proper practices, especially for troubleshooting. =)

I have run into the same problem, again. I have attached the state of dosbox at the install command, and the contents of the IMG if there is anything wrong or missing.

Thanks,

~Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
To mount an image or CD drive correctly you must add -t cdrom
In your case it would be:
mount d e:\ -t cdrom

Remark: as usual in Dos times it's highly recommended to mount your drive/image as D not as E, will avoid problems with (mostly) early CD games.
Drive letters assigned in dosbox have nothing to see with the real Win drive letters.

Remark²: dosbox has an almost perfect working imgmount command to mount images directly.
imgmount d x:\folder\name.iso -t cdrom
or
imgmount d x:\folder\name.cue -t cdrom

Remark³: If you're on Win7 you really should avoid c:\oldgames but use a folder in your own user folders, will avoid all kinds of read/write unpredictable restrictions.
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=22241
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CDROMI1.png
Views:	280
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1583  Click image for larger version

Name:	StoneI2.png
Views:	364
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	1584  
Old 03-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
dosraider
Dismembered.

.... ?
Must say I have the original game, created an BIN/CUE from my CD and it works flawless.
So there is a problem somewhere with what you do/have.

I see in the ISO cellar that the image is listed as "CCD" format, cloneCD, should do fine I guess.

Some questions:
What soft did you use to unRAR the image?
What soft did you use to burn the CD?
What's your dosbox version?
Did you delete all old RStone (Prophet) install folders on your dosbox virtual C ?

Maybe you'll need the CloneCD virtual drive to work correctly with the downloaded image, it's a possibility.
It's pretty good and freeware:
http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 03-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Quote:
I see in the ISO cellar that the image is listed as "CCD" format, cloneCD, should do fine I guess.
Yep, I downloaded the image from the ISO cellar and tested:
- Created a cue sheet and used imgmount to mount the image -> worked fine.
- Used Daemon Tools to mount the image in Windows and then in DOSBox mounted the CD-drive -> worked fine.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
JackOLantern

Dosraider,

I am also using Virtual CloneDrive; its the only one that works flawlessly on Windows 7 and which otherwise has the least / no drawbacks as compared to the other software available. I used VCD to Mount the .IMG on E:\ and then virtually mounted it in D: in Dosbox, which is 0.74 on my machine.

As for the files, I created a new folder for troubleshooting purposes, as per the previous advice, in my user folder. I normally use a C:\ drive folder rather than in my user folder, which functions otherwise without error.

I used 7zp to unRAR the archives as a.IMG. I used 7zip with RLOFT (Strahd's Possession), and it worked without a hitch. That does not mean that I did it right this time, clearly =)

I assume that I need to unRAR the archives by selecting all the archives, or am I acting in error by doing so, and need only instead to select the RAR archive with the other files merely in the same folder?

Thanks,

~Jack

Quote:
.... ?
Must say I have the original game, created an BIN/CUE from my CD and it works flawless.

Some questions:
Did you delete all old RStone (Prophet) install folders on your dosbox virtual C ?

Maybe you'll need the CloneCD virtual drive to work correctly with the downloaded image, it's a possibility.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
JackOLantern

Smile Problem Solved - Thanks!

Dosraider,

My thanks to you and to the other contributing members of the community ; I fixed the problem. It was evident once you asked how I was unRaRing the image, as I realized that I was overwriting multiple images with incomplete material due to the way I was unarchiving it. It is completely obvious in retrospect.

Install successful; all works properly =) I really enjoyed watching the old-school installation and the CRC checks; I wonder which type it was - I imagine it was not 32.

In general, I am not sure why, but for whatever reason, I am able to use C:\folder on Windows 7 despite my strong user restrictions. Using the username folder practice is likely superior, however, for general Windows 7 settings.

Thanks,

~Jack

Quote:
.... ?

Some questions:

Last edited by JackOLantern; 03-04-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Slight Change in Smiley Set
Old 03-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
dosraider
Dismembered.

*Post deleted*
[Edit]
Nevermind, didn't saw JackOLantern last post.

Glad you got it working, enjoy the game.

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 03-04-2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: grmmmpppppppfffff