Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-12-2004, 12:51 AM   #11
Ancalagon

I have the actual cd, I've been playing it some more recently and then I just saw it on this sight and was like "woah". Is the collectors edition already patched? Because I haven't had any problems beating the missions. Anyway it's a great game, although it's a little taxing on dosbox sometimes if you don't have a pretty good comp. Also, when using dosbox, I had to make sure the disc was mounted as a cdrom ("mount x y:\ -t cdrom" where x is what you want the drive to be in dosbox and y is what it is in real lifewindowsknow if that helps anyone but I had a little trouble with that. Also to run the game run "bwing" from the directory on the hard disk drive. At least, that's what I had to do, I have no idea whether this applies to everyone else.

Also, the game has a lot of story if you read the breifings for the missions instead of just listening to the guy talk. Admittedly it's not in the easily digestable cutscene form but who cares?
Ancalagon is offline                         Send a private message to Ancalagon
Old 26-12-2004, 03:05 AM   #12
einherjar

I grew up with v1.0 of this game, but I could never find the CD-ROM game with B-Wings. The copy I had was 5 "floppy" disks (called hard disks back then), and it wasn't terribly difficult most of the time. I always had problems with two of the Episode II missions, but aside from that I was fine.

Some tips for making the game easier:

Shunt your laser energy into shields (";" key) until you have drained the level 2 lasers, and keep the laser recharge rate at maximum until your shields are at 200%. Then if enemy starfighters are near, shift laser energy to increased rate.

When making torpedo runs, decrease the throttle to 2/3 ("]" key) once the target receptacle starts locking on to the target. Capital starships have a turbolaser range of 2.0 km, so this will give you more time to fire your warheads. If you start getting too close to 2.0 km, drop your speed to 1/3 ("[" key).

If you are trying to dodge a missile, move the joystick to 4:00 until it overshoots you. Target the missile and destroy it with lasers. If you are going head-on against a fighter that is locking on to you with a missile, try to destroy it before it reaches you.

The X-Wing Historic Mission in the minefield is almost impossible without a joystick.

Old 26-12-2004, 03:32 AM   #13
edlglide
Abandonia nerd

I had the X-Wing Collector's Edition on CD, and I could never even come close to beating it. I don't think I ever even beat a whole Episode. That's probably why I thought TIE Fighter was a far better game.........it wasn't insanely hard. It had quite a few difficult missions, and sometimes it took me 10-15 tries to beat one, but they never felt like it was just impossible. Of course obviously X-Wing wasn't either, since some of you didn't have any trouble, but it sure seemed that way to me.
edlglide is offline                         Send a private message to edlglide
Old 26-12-2004, 04:31 AM   #14
shoes23

Haven't had a chance to download this one yet, but I remember playing it back in about 1995 and to this day it is the only game where one mission crushed all my gaming skill and almost brought me to tears with frustration! I think it is in Episode 2 where you need to protect a small outpost with an A-wing, while wave after wave of Tie Fighters and Tie Bombers assualt your small puny ship and the outpost. Going to try the game now...with my luck I'll beat that mission with no hangups this time :Titan:
shoes23 is offline                         Send a private message to shoes23
Old 26-12-2004, 04:40 AM   #15
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by punch999@Dec 25 2004, 07:18 PM
im kinda stupid yo know one of those ppl who cant even use dos box without d-fend

is it hard to use daemon tools
You can mount them in DFend k: No need for Daemon Tools with DFand and DOSBox.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 26-12-2004, 04:44 AM   #16
einherjar

TIE Fighter was far better than X-Wing simply because of how the missions were laid out. You didn't go somewhere just to destroy stuff and head home. Each mission was part of a short story (which was often part of a bigger story), and you would often change the outcome of a battle just by inspecting ships or being very observant and/or patient. Having a screen with a list of specific goals helped out quite a bit as well.

Old 26-12-2004, 06:26 PM   #17
BlackMageJawa
Game Wizzard

*blinks*

Wait, it X-Wing Collector's Edition different from X-Wing Collector's Series (aside from the fact that the latter also contains TIE Fighter and XvT)? Is that why this is abandoned, because there's a package with an even newer version?
BlackMageJawa is offline                         Send a private message to BlackMageJawa
Old 26-12-2004, 06:28 PM   #18
Jurific

Im pretty stupiod so be pateint with this,

Uhh im trying to unzip this game and all im unzipping is two files which dont run, uh is there something specific im doing wrong or am i way off or what? :help:

Old 26-12-2004, 07:22 PM   #19
einherjar

Try using a cdrom emulator.

Old 26-12-2004, 07:30 PM   #20
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurific@Dec 26 2004, 06:28 PM
Im pretty stupiod so be pateint with this,

Uhh im trying to unzip this game and all im unzipping is two files which dont run, uh is there something specific im doing wrong or am i way off or what? :help:
refer to the first post and follow the link from there.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles