Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #111
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Obviously, he has to, to even get that far. He mounts the drive, the folder, THEN he runs the game, then he gets the error.

Well that's still a good question.

Mekorig, can you give the exact steps you took to mount the game?

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 26-08-2007, 06:11 PM   #112
Mekorig

mount c c:\

c:

cd (game folder)

c:\gamefolder\maxrun or c:\gamefolder\max

In both i have the same error. I run the setup file to get the Sound Card config.
Mekorig is offline                         Send a private message to Mekorig
Old 26-08-2007, 06:14 PM   #113
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Ok, then it shouldn't be giving you that problem in relation to DosBox, you did it perfectly.
Have you tried reinstalling yet? I'm still looking for someone who knows something about MAX's history of problems.

My Site -
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 26-08-2007, 06:31 PM   #114
Mekorig

I will try reinstalling it.
Mekorig is offline                         Send a private message to Mekorig
Old 26-08-2007, 06:48 PM   #115
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Tell me if it works, I'll try to download the Abandonia version and try it myself, it may be something I overlooked.

EDIT: Well my result was fine, I extracted the rip from this site and played it via DosBox and it worked fine.
I can only assess that you either came across a problem when extracting the game (corrupted Zip, it happens, just download again) or your installation of DosBox is fudged up, (which it could be judging from that error) so if MAX still fails to work, a re installation of DosBox would be the next step.

If it STILL doesn't work, then it might just be a problem with DosBox, you could go check out the site for troubleshooting problems, you can access it through the Abandonia Utilities section.

My Site -
Old 30-08-2007, 12:35 AM   #116
LCV

Hey Folks.

I got the game running and all but upon completing the first map -"Islands in the Sun"- of the campaign, the game crashes. I think there is an error but I can't see it because DosBox closes down immediately.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Does anybody know a way to skip the first mission?

Old 30-08-2007, 04:52 AM   #117
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Stupid question: Are you sure you run it is DOSBox and not in the DOS command prompt in Windows? DOSBox should't close down like that.
Old 30-08-2007, 06:50 PM   #118
LCV

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Aug 30 2007, 05:52 AM) [snapback]307675[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Stupid question: Are you sure you run it is DOSBox and not in the DOS command prompt in Windows? DOSBox should't close down like that.
[/b]
Yes it is Dosbox.

I found to skip the campaign, the campaign is tracked in the ini file. Just up the number for the next campaign.

Old 30-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #119

Excuse me for the interruption, but how do you access the alien units on the map. Does it have anything to do with the strange buildings they are standing around?
The Tutorials did not cover this topic, or I have overlooked it. Thanks in advance.

Sorry for my bad English, it isn't my native language.

Old 30-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #120
LCV

Okay, I finished the second map of the campaign and this time it doesn't crash but gives a proper error message.

I get two error messages and when the game crashes they reapear. One is an "illegal read from location [memory address]" and the other is "illegal write to location [memory address]"

What I think is going wrong is that the game tries to update the ini file which holds the progress through the game. So just for shits and grins I checked if the max folder was read-only. As it turns out, it is read-only and it seems to become read only on mounting it with DosBox.

It's easy to bypass though. In max.ini change, the line: last_campaign=1 to get to the next campaign.

---

Now am I the only one who has this problem?