Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-12-2006, 03:15 PM   #21
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

*chuckle*
Just a few days ago my mother was looking through old documents to see what to keep and what can be thrown out and found the purchase receipt for this game.
LOL

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #22
Nazdak

No, wait.

:brain:

I really, really cant believe it. This was my first "modern" gaming experience. I played it so much, I can still remember the "wonnngggk" sound when the dino with balls on its tail accidently whacked you as it walked by.

This has, I think, really made Abandonia something special for me. Like, I was trying to make a game design based loosely on the concept, and all the googling in the world didnt really help me. And here, it lands in my lap ^.^

Bravo, Abandonia! Bravo, the_fifth_horseman!
Nazdak is offline                         Send a private message to Nazdak
Old 24-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #23
amy

i used to play this game in the old days when i was a kid too. not bragging but i was actually
quite good at it. the alien at the beginning used to make me laugh, LOL how sad!!

Old 26-12-2006, 02:50 PM   #24
Mariko

I love this game! I used to play it all the time, back in the day. Is it sad that I remember almost everything about it even though I haven't played in like ten years? LOL. Well, I remember collecting picture/crystal things for the weird alien and traveling around in the chronosphere...I just don't remember the purpose of doing it, LOL. But I remember getting the video camera and the dino bait and the radar and stuff.....And I was always afraid of going in the water because the plesiosaurus freaked me out. I remember playing through the whole game at least once, but I don't remember what happens when you win, LOL.

Old 30-01-2007, 08:35 PM   #25
Mellers88
Lurker

Hey I just want to thank whoever put this up!! This was a childhood favourite!! Anyway I am just curious, it says my download time is approx. 5 hours, did anyone else encounter that? And once it has downloaded and the zip file is sitting on my desktop, can someone give me general tips for opening, and playing the game successfully without having to hunt through all the files?

Thanks!
Mellers88 is offline                         Send a private message to Mellers88
Old 31-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #26
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I've included those with the review.
Quote:
Notes on unpacking and running the game:
In order to run, the game archive must be unpacked to the root directory of your hard drive or burned on a CD. Removable memory devices (eg Pendrives) can also be used. If you unpack the files anywhere else, the game will not operate correctly.[/b]
A little later, Mighty Midget has figured out a way to run the game from a subdirectory. He posted about it here.

The game was originally for Windows 3.x/95, so you'd best read the following:

Quote:
Notes on running the game in Windows XP:
Dinosaur Safari can be ran under Windows XP, if you fiddle around with Compatibility Modes. In order to do that, right-click on the executable and from the menu select [Properties] then select [Compatibility] tab. Select "Windows 95" from the drop-down box and check the boxes next to "Run in 256 colors" and "Run in 640x480".

Notes on running the game in Windows 9x:
Your color depth has to be set to 256 and the resolution to 640x480. Trying to run the game in higher resolutions will result in a black box being present around the game screen.
The game has a tendency to freeze every now and then when ran on Windows 98. I'm afraid there is no way around this issue.[/b]

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-03-2007, 02:34 PM   #27
Guest_Ashley_*

Mine wont work. It keeps goes to the part with the crystal room and then it stops saying saying its missing E:Micros~1\SAFARIdata\hqglobe.mov
But I checked and that file is there. Hmm.

Old 14-03-2007, 02:50 PM   #28
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Been explained before - in fact in the post just above yours. You have put the game into some subdirectory without running the setup program.

Either put it into root of your drive (or CD) or run the game's setup and enter it's current location as the desired target of installation.

-- Reed Richards
Old 03-04-2007, 06:10 AM   #29
kayla

i played this when i was really little too! 7 or 8 i think. if you click the yellow book in the room with the globe and the save option menu, it shows you some cheat codes, but you have to "do something funny" in order for the codes to be activated.
does ANYONE know what it is thats funny that you have to do? :wallbash:

Old 24-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #30
Cosmos

[font=Lucida Console][size=3] :brain:
Hi from Holland

I played it when I was pregnand with my youngest, she's turning 11 next week
sorry for my bad english
I loose my credits all the time
by the way. start up in xp and play and run under w98 no problems...only mouse is too speedy, have to work on that here

is there anybody who can show me how to get more credits, I become junior get my video and even my horn...but have to find another line of work anyway

best grtz from Cosmos