Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Request Games > Rejected requests
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #11
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

I think it is the language 5thhm used and that we liked to laughed about which the critics refer to. They see it as a nasty allusion to the limited knowledge of language. But as I said before, I don't think that this answer was that evil and from behind. It was just a joke. And the new member did get his answer, didn't he?
Nevertheless, people around here didn't like our behaviour and didn't recognise this asa funny. That's it. I don't see any reason to argue about this incident...

EDIT: And oh... me thinks to set an example is somewhat silly in this case, because - as guesst described vividly - there are other bad answers around here that aren't nice at all. For example there isn't an answer at all sometimes. And ignoring might be seen worse than giving a shirty answer!
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 29-07-2006, 08:43 PM   #12
faralar
Abandonia nerd

The point, which I said in my first post, is that a lot of people think that you guys are jerks when it comes to the forum replies. I'm not talking about just this time but you generally have a very harsh tone against "noobs".

Do you people not reliase that some people who are here don't give a crap about "the abandonware scene", this whole abandonware thing came about because people want to play and enjoy old classic games. Most who come here just want to find "that game", they don't know about the rules and stuff.

I'm not asking for a lot but this is a very respected and good site, it'd be a shame to throw that away just so some guy can feel good about himself because he knows more than someone else.

like I said, this i about many people and many occasions. I'm not pointing fingers.

And by the way, where does it say that abandonia only hosts DOS games?
faralar is offline                         Send a private message to faralar
Old 29-07-2006, 11:12 PM   #13
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

It doesn't, and as such that is also wellfounded critic that we need to consider. The main focus of Abandonia has always been DOS games, but there is plenty of Windows games that have found their way onto the site. Somewhere along the line, this has made some people scream that the site only accepts DOS.

It isn't so. In fact, we have games that have both a DOS and a WIN version on the site, like Transport Tycoon for instance.

And, like you say, faralar, this has been an ongoing matter, with people showing a lot of contempt towards newbies. It wasn't like that before, and it shouldn't be like that now.

There is a huge difference between saying "I am sorry, but this game is currently protected by ESA, and as such it can't be hosted on this site." and saying "No warez!"

The first explains the issue in a nice way, and if the newbie continues his request after getting a no, then we might look into doing something stricter. The second message, however, isn't doing anything good. First of all it is assuming that the newbie knows what warez is in the first place. I didn't when I joined the forum. In fact, I think I was the biggest warez trader around at the time. If anyone requested a game, I dug up a download link. Second of all, it is flaming the guy for asking a question. Thirdly it isn't answering the question. And lastly it is probably not going to make that guy want to join the forum.

We can only take this justified criticism to heart, every single one of us. Seeing the same questions asked again and again is tiresome, and we all lash out at times, but it is important to apologize afterwards and treat the next newbie with respect after that.
Old 30-07-2006, 09:43 PM   #14
Maikel
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(guesst @ Jul 29 2006, 07:34 PM) [snapback]245778[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Seriously, of all the newbe bashing, this was the most respectful. Consider the alterntives.

"Read the FAQ!"

"Why are you asking for a WINDOWS game on a DOS site? How'd you get screenshots and not know that?"

"Dude, no warez."

Considering these responces have found a home here for ages, and considering that 5thHM is the first on the scene when this sort of thing comes up, I think this was an incredibly well crafted responce.

If you want to complain about newb bashing, wait for a thread that deserves it.

If you're concerned that we're scaring away a petential long term abandonian, consider that if they'd lurked for just a little while before posting they'd have seen one of the above responces already. This is an account that would have only stuck around if we gave them what they wanted on a silver plater. Consider that we can't give them what they want, or for that mater don't have any silver platers, I don't think the tone of the responce is going to make that big a difference.
[/b]
I don't think we need to consider anything here. A basic form of politeness is all that's needed. Leetspeak and n00bbashing is not something we stand for. We don't need alternative noob-bashing replies. We need an alternative to noob-bashing. I don't care if people only come here to get what they want on a silver platter. We all came here with that goal in the first place. Some stay around, some don't
Maikel is offline                         Send a private message to Maikel
Old 01-08-2006, 06:38 AM   #15
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
And by the way, where does it say that abandonia only hosts DOS games?[/b]
I don't know about you, but I see this on the main page (I reversed colors for clarity):

Old 01-08-2006, 10:26 AM   #16
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

It's dedicated to, not limited to - we do accept WIN games, we just try to focus mainly on DOS.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:24 PM   #17
faralar
Abandonia nerd

I think the game had a dos and a windows version, I know the demo was i dos
faralar is offline                         Send a private message to faralar
Old 03-08-2006, 11:00 AM   #18
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The supposed release date is 2001 - not likely it had a DOS version, really.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 03-08-2006, 04:23 PM   #19
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Aug 3 2006, 11:00 AM) [snapback]246535[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
The supposed release date is 2001 - not likely it had a DOS version, really.
[/b]
Are you sure? That graphic doesn't seem from 2001... it's more like coming from 1995...
Old 04-08-2006, 07:20 AM   #20
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

Probably there was a DOS version. This link here mentions a game music ripped from a 1996 "Crazy Drake" game: http://www.mirsoft.info/gmb/music_in...d_ele=MTM4NTc=

This link here http://yippee.i4free.co.nz/html/win/entert...t/title5687.htm implies in its short review that there was a DOS version.

So, maybe there really was a DOS version of this game. Whether or not this game is ESA protected, however, is another matter.
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi