Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-03-2007, 08:32 PM   #21
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

Yes you're right. WMP plus the codec, both are a whole crap. Needs to be updated I believe. I don't care since I'm using VLC-Player now... no problems anymore...so far. I will keep you up to date
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 09-03-2007, 09:29 PM   #22
Hadiel
Abandonia nerd

I'd say, burn Vista NOW!

Quickly! While it's still in it's infant stages of development. Soon we won't be able to stop it and it will consume us all! It will grow too big for any of us to handle! Burn it! Burn it!

EDIT: I've found a nice quote to go with it.

Quote:
The priests tried dispelling it, the wizards tried to cage it, the Sorcerors tried to bury it, but in the end, they all ended up obeying it.
[/b]
You have all been warned.
Hadiel is offline                         Send a private message to Hadiel
Old 09-03-2007, 09:48 PM   #23
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

For now, the only alternative possibility for me is to put XP on this machine. For the future the only opportunity is to buy a mac or use linux... I don't see any other...
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 15-03-2007, 11:56 PM   #24
chainsoar
Master Debater

I knew this would happen. People rush to buy the new Windows O/S, desperate to see if Microsoft have changed their ways...and, alas, it's a buggy piece of crap. Take note - when a new Windows O/S comes out, wait for a while until they've ironed out the more obvious bugs. Then upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
You click on 'Download this game'.
chainsoar is offline                         Send a private message to chainsoar
Old 16-03-2007, 01:42 AM   #25
win98
In the loop on hardware.

This XP system I am on is going to be getting a few upgrades to make XP run better and because of my needs. Not to run vista. Vistas for the people who either get forced into it or think everything works straight away.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98
Old 16-03-2007, 07:23 AM   #26
Scatty
Treasure hunter

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DonCorleone @ Mar 9 2007, 11:48 PM) [snapback]282699[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
For now, the only alternative possibility for me is to put XP on this machine. For the future the only opportunity is to buy a mac or use linux... I don't see any other...[/b]
Try this one. Many nice reports about this one, and it's quality freeware. It's designed to be easy to use for newbies in Linux, too. Once I'll be back in few months it'll be something I'll try out as well.

Xubuntu
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 23-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #27
Japo
Autonomous human

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DonCorleone @ Mar 8 2007, 11:59 PM) [snapback]282544[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I doubt by the wy that the program that checks the integrity of your os will slow down your system. It's more something like a browser plugin. Never had a problem with that. Always updated XP via internet and never had any problems. Neither with software nor with anything else... It might be a problem if you own a 486DX4/100. and you must have a crutch like this or a pirated version of your os Just kidding of course...[/b]
I had to run that program from the Net to download Windows Defender since MS only grants it free to people with legit Windows installations. So it does have some use. Anyway I don't know if it's installed itself now or if it has limited itself to run once, I don't even know if that program is resident or if it's only run at request, either mine or any parent program's.

In short, does anyone positively know if this program is resident or if it runs only at request? In the latter case, does it get run at the request of other resident Windows apps?
Old 27-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #28
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

About Vista and anti-piracy: I haven't noticed anything strange, other than Azureus tend to crash if I also run WMP and try to change any settings in Azureus. Also, when Azureus crash, it will de-activate WMP's MSN plug-in. Slightly inconvenient, but nothing that kills me.

One serious issue: 3rd party firewalls like ZoneAlarm doesn't (yet) work under Vista. Take into consideration that Vista's own firewall is pretty much the same as in XP, and you have a problem.
Old 28-03-2007, 06:10 PM   #29
Japo
Autonomous human

The firewall I use, Comodo, will be releasing a version that will work under Vista. Well I'm not so sure since people talked about a 64 bits version and there seems to be 32 bits Vista, but I think that Comodo's intention is making it work in any Vista. You could as well check their web page or forums, the Vista compliant version should be 3, the current one is 2. Also Comodo is way safer than the free version of ZoneAlarm I hear --ZA Pro must be okay but the free version is very diminished.

Anyway since Vista has sent backwards compatibility down the drain, I guess it's up to the third-party software developers to come up with versions that work under Vista.
Old 29-03-2007, 02:57 AM   #30
punch999
The true Shadow President

Trust me if that anti piracy thing was true half of my friends would be crying in a corner right now because of that. And they aren't so that is probobly a load of Bull.
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999