Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-06-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

O.K. I've been getting blue screens of death every time I run Diablo and they say this:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

How can I fix this? I've searched through a gazillion pages regarding this and no true answer:
"Erase", "Reinstall", "Remove"... "Buy a new" = WTF? NO WAY!!!

If anyone can help me fix this I'd be really grateful, cause my PC is taking a terrible beating from it.
When the PC recovers, it says that "Microsoft Windows has recovered from a serious error", although I believe it's got nothing to do with this.

Please help.
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 11-06-2006, 06:51 PM   #2
Danny252
I have a custom title!

iirc, IRQ relates to the sound card. The error sounds familiar, but I can't really help much more than that.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny252 @ Jun 11 2006, 09:51 PM) [snapback]235957[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
iirc, IRQ relates to the sound card. The error sounds familiar, but I can't really help much more than that.
[/b]
This has happened to many people, one of them suggested buying a new soundcard cause that's how he "fixed" it. I'm not that serious myself. Is there another way?
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 11-06-2006, 09:51 PM   #4
Japo
Autonomous human

IRQ means Interrupt ReQuest, and every hardware device has its own, not just Sound Cards. It's the key reserved for each device to ask for any processor work needed, if I'm not wrong. Within DOSBox this, as any other hardware thingy, is not real but virtual, software-emulated. Windows95-98 had its own SB16 emulation with its own virtual IRQ... Guess this doesn't help.

Okay so I don't have quite an idea about how to fix it. But I could have heard about games' not accepting too high IRQs for sound cards, or I could be saying nonsense. (Any computer has no more than a limited number of IRQs, up to around 15 I think.) So try to reconfigure your card to change the IRQ assigned to it. How could this be done? I dunno. Is it possible at all? I dunno.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Japofran @ Jun 12 2006, 12:51 AM) [snapback]236016[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
IRQ means Interrupt ReQuest, and every hardware device has its own, not just Sound Cards. It's the key reserved for each device to ask for any processor work needed, if I'm not wrong. Within DOSBox this, as any other hardware thingy, is not real but virtual, software-emulated. Windows95-98 had its own SB16 emulation with its own virtual IRQ... Guess this doesn't help.

Okay so I don't have quite an idea about how to fix it. But I could have heard about games' not accepting too high IRQs for sound cards, or I could be saying nonsense. (Any computer has no more than a limited number of IRQs, up to around 15 I think.) So try to reconfigure your card to change the IRQ assigned to it. How could this be done? I dunno. Is it possible at all? I dunno.
[/b]
All this has started since I use "SpeedUpMyPC 2.04" once. God damn :wallbash: . Now I'm stuck with a limited playing time on Diablo. F*CK. :wallbash:
Old 12-06-2006, 12:24 PM   #6
Data
retired

IRQ_LESS blah blah
is irritating error.
If it happends more then once then MS suggets you get into touch with the hardware producer of the components of your pc.

Try reinstalling the drivers of your hardware.
but you may end up installing your OS again.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
Skumpaq
Abandonia nerd

Have you tried using System Restore? Try rolling back to before you installed "SpeedUpMyPC 2.04".

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...temrestore.mspx
Skumpaq is offline                         Send a private message to Skumpaq
Old 12-06-2006, 02:45 PM   #8
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skumpaq @ Jun 12 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]236161[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Have you tried using System Restore? Try rolling back to before you installed "SpeedUpMyPC 2.04".

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...temrestore.mspx
[/b]
Question:

If I do a system restore - will the files earlier than my restore points creation be changed in any way?
Old 12-06-2006, 03:00 PM   #9
Japo
Autonomous human

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(troop18546 @ Jun 12 2006, 04:45 PM) [snapback]236175[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Question:

If I do a system restore - will the files earlier than my restore points creation be changed in any way?[/b]
I think there are two actions available actually:

Restoring the system: This is an automated way of formatting your hard drive. (At long last Microsoft has acknowledged that Windows is so crappy that you must format the hard drive once in a while, and has implemented a brand new fancy way of doing such carnage.) You'd lost any data you didn't save (in CD-ROMs, etc.). Windows and the other programs included when you bought the computer would be re-installed from a read-only hidden partition where they've been hidden all the time.

Restoring Windows: This is supposed to re-install only Windows, without erasing your data. Do try this and see how it goes.

(Not completely sure of what I've said here, so any correction from more knowledgeable guys will be appreciated.)

Seems there's another thread about these features.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:08 PM   #10
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Japofran @ Jun 12 2006, 06:00 PM) [snapback]236180[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(troop18546 @ Jun 12 2006, 04:45 PM) [snapback]236175[/snapback]
Quote:
Question:

If I do a system restore - will the files earlier than my restore points creation be changed in any way?[/b]
I think there are two actions available actually:

Restoring the system: This is an automated way of formatting your hard drive. (At long last Microsoft has acknowledged that Windows is so crappy that you must format the hard drive once in a while, and has implemented a brand new fancy way of doing such carnage.) You'd lost any data you didn't save (in CD-ROMs, etc.). Windows and the other programs included when you bought the computer would be re-installed from a read-only hidden partition where they've been hidden all the time.

Restoring Windows: This is supposed to re-install only Windows, without erasing your data. Do try this and see how it goes.

(Not completely sure of what I've said here, so any correction from more knowledgeable guys will be appreciated.)
[/b][/quote]

Quo?

I think I'll stick to the restoring to an earlier date routine. Trying now and keeping my fingers crossed.