Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #21
smittyphi

I never could beat it either. Might have to DL it and try it on DosBox
smittyphi is offline                         Send a private message to smittyphi
Old 26-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #22
Oddbrother
Forum hobbit

Default My Childhood Discovery Long Overlooked

When I was a kid and owned this game, I've only ever listened to it on PC speaker. Being young, I was unaware of digital music synthesizers and whether or not PC games of that day and age still supported it.

Later on in the years when YouTube existed and I didn't have the game anymore, I watched gameplay footage of it and heard music in Ad-lib. Cool, cool...

Today, I went to a fan site dedicated to the franchise and listened to an MP3 recording of it used with MT-32. I was quite amazed at what I was missing out on.

I had to get the game again and set up MUNT on my computer. Worked just as I expected and am curious to see how well this works on other games.

But the biggest surprise when I started the game with this setup was when I saw this message on the module:

...followed by a striking jingle on the game's logo, something I'd never hear on any other music setting.

And when I was done playing:

When these devs were supporting external synthesizers, they made certain to do them justice!
Oddbrother is offline                         Send a private message to Oddbrother
Old 23-11-2015, 08:56 PM   #23
Arjak

There is actually a rare enhanced version of this game that was only available as a pack-in with IBM's PS/1 sound card. This version features greatly improved sound, including an actually intelligible voice sample for when the villain mocks you at the beginning.

I have been searching for this version online for hours, but to no avail. I believe it was sent in to the site at one point, but it was never put up for download as far as I know. I'm doing a review of Silpheed for my Youtube show eventually, and I would like to be able to show this version if possible. Is it possible for this version to be uploaded to the site if it is found?
Arjak is offline                         Send a private message to Arjak
Old 24-11-2015, 05:13 AM   #24
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

I can search for it, Arjak, if you'll tell me how to distinct it from the any other version (as I see, game initially came with the pack of 7 different sound drivers - is it not enough?).
Old 24-11-2015, 07:32 AM   #25
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Silpheed v3.2:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/m8...d/SILPHEED.zip

In the beginning of the game when Xacalite speaks you can actually understand what he says (unlike in the Abandonia version which uses horrible PC speaker and text).
Old 24-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #26
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Zirkoni, you're awesome

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 24-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #27
Arjak

YES! THANK YOU!

Thanks a million, Zirkoni! I'll be sure to give you an acknowledgement in my episode for helping me out!
Arjak is offline                         Send a private message to Arjak