Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #21
Panthro
Man of Science

I think he means the Dune game based on the film/book, rather than the RTS game.

Dune - http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/dune

Dune II - http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/du...g-of-a-dynasty
Panthro is offline                         Send a private message to Panthro
Old 14-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #22
Japo
Autonomous human

EDIT: late
Old 15-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #23
nami88

System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Mass Effect, and Fallout 3 are all fun FPS/RPGs.
nami88 is offline                         Send a private message to nami88
Old 16-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #24
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

I fail to see how Mass Effect is partly a First-Person Shooter, as it has a third-person view. So, TPS? Yes. FPS? No.
Old 16-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #25
nami88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simoneer View Post
I fail to see how Mass Effect is partly a First-Person Shooter, as it has a third-person view. So, TPS? Yes. FPS? No.
Sorry, my mistake. It's just a habit to refer to all shooter games as FPS.
nami88 is offline                         Send a private message to nami88
Old 17-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #26
nem75

I also fail to see how Mass Effect is "mixed". Using third person, turn-based combat is completely normal for an RPG game. See the first Realms of Arkania games oh so long ago. True RPG games from the first combat move to the last slain orc, as is Mass Effect (sans the orcs).

Also Diablo is the quintessential hack'n'slay and not in the least bit a representative of a genre that's in any way mixed.

But I'm being a nit-picking smartass once again. Sorry 'bout that. Genres are hard to define ultimately, so what the heck.

Definitely the greatest game with ingredients from many genres, at least for me, would be Sundog. To this day I wait for a contemporary game picking up on the idea of giving you real time space combat, turn based terrestrial combat, trading aspects, puzzles plus the ability to walk everywhere including within you own ship. (Ah, jumping up from the pilot's seat mid-combat to run to the engine compartments and replace busted components so you wouldn't end up as a sitting duck, then running back to the seat to continue the fight - all in real-time ... sweet memories.)

Sadly this was pre-PC, with the only versions ever made being for Apple II and Atari ST. It's a game by FTL (Faster Than Light, of Dungeon Master fame), just to give you a hint at the quality of which the developers were.

Anyway ...

Other than that I'd definitely mention the Quest for Glory series and Privateer. Though it's debatable if the latter one really belongs to a "mixed" genre or just belongs to a genre of itself, established by Elite and the likes.
nem75 is offline                         Send a private message to nem75
Old 17-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #27
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by nem75 View Post
I also fail to see how Mass Effect is "mixed". Using third person, turn-based combat is completely normal for an RPG game. See the first Realms of Arkania games oh so long ago. True RPG games from the first combat move to the last slain orc, as is Mass Effect (sans the orcs).
You know what? IMO, Mass Effect definitely does have the feel of a Third-Person Shooter at times. I can see where he's coming from, even if I wouldn't call it anything but an RPG myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nem75 View Post
Also Diablo is the quintessential hack'n'slay and not in the least bit a representative of a genre that's in any way mixed.

But I'm being a nit-picking smartass once again. Sorry 'bout that. Genres are hard to define ultimately, so what the heck.

Well, Hack and Slash (which I assume you mean) is a type of gameplay, not a genre on its own. An RPG can have Hack and Slash gameplay. It can even have strategic gameplay, and only include firearms.
Old 17-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #28
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

To follow Nami, we need more people waving Deus Ex's flag, also, as other people have mentioned, I reckon Quest For Glory (1 to 5 or 6 I forget) gets points for trying.
Old 17-06-2009, 11:24 PM   #29
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

Lulu, you loose points: QFG is from I-V :tongue: And they succeed at being awesome!!!! (well, maybe the last one doesn't succeed so much )
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 17-06-2009, 11:55 PM   #30
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I actually love the very last one, it felt like a love letter to the entire series, where they fixed a lot of issues (horrific combat controls etc.) that plagued the series. Also, unlike the pseudo-Russian one, it wasn't so crippled with bugs on release it was actually playable.