Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-12-2007, 12:04 AM   #511
Driderman

Problem is, this isn't at my main city. This city doesn't even support building pikemen yet, just spearmen and swordsmen...
Driderman is offline                         Send a private message to Driderman
Old 19-12-2007, 12:23 AM   #512
pepe4158

I just know it is possible, cuz my nehew (my tech) lol was able to by editing my windows registry.

Yeah just wanted to add, that if your a true war game strategist.this is one of the all time greatest with such a diverse economy and city placement (with growth) at will.

If I remember, it was actually programed by Sid Meir....a strategy gaming legend lol........doubt he will ever make a sequel as Real time strategy is the thing now...and Sid is to busy with his Civ series thats crying for tactical combat like this had....its a fantasy Civ with tactical combat......can I say anymore?...a true wargamers paradise!

The only think posibbly lacking is the old world tactics of pikeman kill calvery......as speed of units here is essential even though its turm baised combat....no pikeman rows will cut down any strong mounted charge, youl probably watch in dismay as your troops trying to form a phalanx are cut down lol, but this is a fantasy world and Alexander or Julias never faced a basilisk charge lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbolic View Post
Just a quick note after reading the review and don't know if it's already been mentioned in this thread or not. Played this game since it came out and still pick it up about every other year for another go, but there is definitely a game (or two) that could essentially be called its sequel: Age of Wonders and AoWII. Every inch of those games screams MoM and not just in a "wow, this game totally stole everything from Master of Magic" sort of way, but rather a "Holy hell, they've made an awesome, modernized version of MoM and managed to add what few elements I ever would have thought to append or change from the original, and do it without sacrificing the spirit of it all!" At least I think so.

-Paul

Thks Paul....i so want this game you mentioned! looking fore it now as sometimes I am out of the knowledge loop of good strategy games

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe4158 View Post
Thks Paul....i so want this game you mentioned! looking fore it now as sometimes I am out of the knowledge loop of good strategy games

Hmmm looking this AOW over now online....my first imression is MoM is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
You guys know what sucks?
Finding spellbooks for a new school of magic AFTER you started researching the Spell Of Mastery. Which will take me another 260 turns to complete, approximately. THEN I can research web

On another note, my game seems to run slowly, even though I'm using the newest version of dosbox and so forth. I've tried adjusting speed with ctrl+F12 but it's still rather sluggy. Any suggestions?

Lol yeah Drider it does, but either run for all the dark plane nodes early....or use the editor to cheat a wizard brislling with books lol

Quote:
Hmmm looking this AOW over now online....my first imression is MoM is better

Hmm can anyone thats played this AoW give me advice....looking it over now online n dont want to waste $ if its not what I want.

It does look a bit like Mom...as far as heroes, items, and building units.....but it doesnt have the old Civ flare of building cities and a diverse economy.

IM0 the true genius of MoM was it was a fantasy Civ clone, with tactical combat and a more diverse economy that Civ games are desperatly lacking, AoW seems to fall far short here to as I dont build settlers and place cities as I choose do I?

Sorry I am spamming this thread so much, but glad I found you guys cause this is the all time greatest strategy game IMO and I love war strategy games...the new stuff is garbage...just who can click the fastest... BS thats not strategy....although the Tottal war series is starting to get a little better even though its RTS which usually isnt real war game straegy IMO
The new Napolean version yhey aree realeasing might even be decent...still wont be as good as a new MoM would be tho lol

Ok.......tho...was wondering if you guys know where I can get an editor....n what does the 3.1 patch here fix... I forgot?
pepe4158 is offline                         Send a private message to pepe4158
Old 19-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #513
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
I just know it is possible, cuz my nehew (my tech) lol was able to by editing my windows registry.
Eh? :confused: What is possible?

Quote:
Sorry I am spamming this thread so much,
You can add new text to a post you made. Just use the button.

I've merged the repeated posts you made in this topic into a single one, but from now on please use the edit function.

Quote:
Ok.......tho...was wondering if you guys know where I can get an editor...
Map editor or savegame editor?
The former plain doesn't exist, but something could be done about the latter.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 19-12-2007, 07:43 PM   #514
pepe4158

Thks 5th; yeah Im on-the-road working now, so my connection is really laggy and slow using an air card for my lap-top, so I didnt see the edit command, see it now finnally as I am in a little better reception area

Yeah I just downloaded a dos hex editor and was playing with it. I had forgot how easy it was with just a simple editor to add books and attributes to my wizard lol....nothing like maxing my books out to start lol

Wow your in Poland? ...um hows the weather? LA is a nice 70F but you use celsius huh?

Last edited by pepe4158; 19-12-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 19-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #515
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Regarding hex-editor, this list with hex values on DLH might be useful to you - link
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 20-12-2007, 04:39 AM   #516
pepe4158

Thks Scat....I had a little hard time following what he was saying tho

This is what I do, you can use any type of hex editor

Create a custom wizard....and add say 4 or 5 attributes

Say Channler, warlord, etc

This will only allow you a few picks for books

So go and say pick 1 life, 1 nature, 1 sorcery, and 1 chaos

Start the game and on your first turn just save and exit.

open u your save1.gam file with your editor and search for your custom name wizard
Say its mightymega just do a search

When you find him shortly after your name, you will see in the row, something like 00 01 00 01 00 00 00 01 00 01

those are the numbers for your books

change the to a higher # (be carefull dont get too carried away or may crash lol)

I changed to 05 00 02 00 03 00 04

and I had 5 nature books, 4 life, 3 sorcery, and 2 chaos

I think I couldve fit another but didnt want to push my luck lol plus all those attributes....I took warlord, artificer, node astery, and channler I think....a wizard brislling with power for sure lol
Old 21-12-2007, 03:51 AM   #517
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Actually I wouldn't add any books to your wizard through hex-editing if I was you, because adding more books does not automatically enable more spells to be researched with that school (the amount is only set at the beginning and is only modified when you find a book in some lair), and because of increased amount of added books that you have you won't be able to find that many books anymore (because there's a hard limit for maximum of books that you can find) to allow for large enough pool of spells to be enabled for research. The only benefit you would have from hex-editing yourself more books is for more special abilities in Enchant Item and Create Artifact spells.
Old 30-12-2007, 02:03 AM   #518
pepe4158

he-he.......true scat.
thats why in my game i edited the magic.exe, but if done wrong you will corrupt your game and it wont run

Say if they ever had made a muti-player...what type of wizard would you guys make?

I love playing a nature n life myself, but for just killing other wizards obviously chaos and sorcery are best i think.

If you threw in node mastery you would really screw with the other guys nodes....n have just one life book maybe so you could steal their nodes and guardien spirit them lol

Lord help them if you ever got flame strike n the sorcery spells like spell blast would be a constant thorn in their side.

but for a peacefull one human player nature n life seem the funnest
Old 30-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #519
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Oh yes, I usually preferred choosing 1 life spellbook just for the guardian spirit...
Nature doesn't have to be peaceful though, imagine some hydras, basilisks or similar big creatures rampaging. I used that tactic even more than beefed-up heroes.
Old 31-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #520
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Well the Nature realm has one nice creature to command - Colossus. +3 to hit, 20 melee / ranged, though only 2 shots, and add to it first strike which will deal enough damage to most units / creatures before they even can counter-attack. My personal favorite.
Giant Worm is also not bad, but not as strong as Great Drake (Chaos) or even Sky Drake (Sorcery). Cockatrices can actually be deadly, as Gorgons also sometimes. But generally Chaos, Sorcery and Death realm are the better ones for interesting summoned units.