Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
pwalsh22
Lurker

Default Install Death Gate on Mac OSX

I know that there are a ton of threads on installing Death Gate, and I have read through many of them. I apologize for my newness and general lack of understanding.

I am attempting to play Death Gate on a Mac OSX.

I normally have been using the Boxer rather than DOSBOX to play all my other games.

I have tried to get it to work using DOSBOX, but I am hitting the learning curve of both DOSBOX and whatever is going wrong with Death Gate at once.

So I would love if someone could either give/point me towards Boxer instructions or some DOSBOX instructions meant for a Mac.

Note on instructions for getting Death Gate to run via Boxer that I have found (http://wiki.herzbube.ch/index.php/DOSBox#Death_Gate) - would be an example, except things like :
Create a new empty folder "Death Gate"
Drop the folder onto "Drop games here to install them.app"

Do not seem to work - boxer just rejects the empty folder.

However I have created the disk image and that seems like it should make things easier if I can find the right place to put it.

I am also willing to make another go at making it work with DOSBOX, but all of the step-by-step for newbs instructions I can find for making Death Gate work there seem to include things like " Move the DGATE folder (so it is only C:\DGATE)." which seem to be applicable only to a windows enviroment (Although I could be wrong - it is hard to know what I do not know)
pwalsh22 is offline                         Send a private message to pwalsh22
Old 07-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
dosraider
Dismembered.

Yep, sooner or later you hit a wall when using a frontend....

A Mac dosbox howto:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=8933

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 07-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalsh22 View Post
I am also willing to make another go at making it work with DOSBOX, but all of the step-by-step for newbs instructions I can find for making Death Gate work there seem to include things like " Move the DGATE folder (so it is only C:\DGATE)." which seem to be applicable only to a windows enviroment (Although I could be wrong - it is hard to know what I do not know)
That instruction applies to DOS environment - specifically, the one emulated by DOSBox - but has been made overtly specific by someone trying to make the instructions more accessible to beginner users.
What that instruction should be is "Make sure Death Gate is in a subdirectory of whatever you are mounting as the DOSBox C drive and that this subdirectory is named 'DGATE' ".
The root of the DOSBox C drive is whatever directory you have mounted as the DOSBox C drive - it's as simple as that.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman