Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
Mr Anders

Default Can only type numbers

I've searched for this issue in other posts with no luck, so forgive me if this problem has been answered 5000 times and I missed it.

Whenever I try to play a DOS game, whether on DOSBOX or in WinXP, I can only type numbers. That is, whichever key I press, the game will interpret it as a digit. Furthermore, I can only type the digits in order (1234567890123 etc). If I use shift I can type !@#$%^&*(). For some of the games it's not a big problem, but it makes most of them unplayable.

And no, I have never experienced this issue outside of DOS games - my computer keyboard normally works fine. Any advice would be appreciated.
Mr Anders is offline                         Send a private message to Mr Anders
Old 10-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Silly question, but do you have numlock enabled?
Old 10-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Wicky
the little viking

Does this also happen outside the game, ie. when you just start Dosbox and see just the command prompt?
Old 10-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

It is impossible to help you without more information.

BTW, it really sound like a problem on your side... I've never heard of such a thing. What kind of keyboard do you use? You might be using one which is simply not backward compatible with old software.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Don't know but maybe you can check the DosBox keymapper (Pressing CTRL + F1 inside dosbox) and the respective tutorial of DosBox 0.74.
You may find useful info.

http://www.dosbox.com/DOSBoxManual.html#KeyMapper
Old 12-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
Ohne Mitleid
Brazen Pangolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anders View Post
... If I use shift I can type !@#$%^&*(). For some of the games it's not a big problem, but it makes most of them unplayable...
Come to think of it, this has happened to me before, but only within DosBox after playing a particular game (I don't remember which game). When being brought back to the DosBox command prompt, some of the special characters (referenced in your post as " @#$%^&*()") didn't display correctly. This was simply solved by exiting and restarting DosBox.

Also, I don't recall having played a game that required those characters for either gameplay or text input. It just seems a little odd to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
It is impossible to help you without more information.
This is too true.

@Mr Anders: Unless you could provide a specific game or recount the circumstances when/how this occurred, everyone can only suggest "guess" solutions to a problem that seems to be quite unique.
Ohne Mitleid is offline                         Send a private message to Ohne Mitleid
Old 13-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
barracuda_1

maybe check your config.sys of dosbox;

check http://www.csulb.edu/~murdock/numlock.html

or if you are working on a notebook check your FN lock
barracuda_1 is offline                         Send a private message to barracuda_1
Old 13-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

DOSBox doesn't have a config.sys equivalent.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 16-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
Mr Anders

I guess this isn't a common problem then. Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. Here's some more specific information per your questions:

Yes, typing into the DOSBOX command prompt is also only numbers.

To be clear, it's not mapping each key to a certain number. The typed number will always be the NEXT digit in sequence, or the related symbol if I hold shift/capslock. I can still use the arrow keys correctly, however.

I'm using the keyboard built into a lenovo ideapad.

I'm not a computer expert, but I'm pretty sure that this is unrelated to NumLock or Fn.

Here are a couple of examples. I haven't tried to play too many games yet for reasons which are hopefully evident.

Advanced Civilization - when I play it in XP, the keyboard works normally fior a little while, usually 10-30 mins, after which I can only type the numbers in order. The game is still playable because you only use the keyboard to name save games. In DOSBOX I can only type the numbers from the beginning.

King's Bounty - in XP I can type exactly one letter correctly, which selects a character or loads a game. Since this is a keyboard-only game, its unplayable in this state. DOSBOX doesn't even give me that first keystroke correctly.

Railroad Tycoon/1830; same issue, only can type numbers. 1830 is barely playable if I am careful.

Let me know if there's anything I'm forgetting. I'm trying to articulate the problem as best I can. Again, this has never come up in any other aspect of using my computer.
Mr Anders is offline                         Send a private message to Mr Anders
Old 16-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
Wicky
the little viking

This sounds similar like a program recognizing the shift-key pressed as if you'd like to type 123 when it reads !"§ on screen.
If that happens then you are in problems deep, on the other hand, DosBox is a stand-alone executable that has it's own keyboard driver. If downloading the newest DosBox and forfeiting all previous configs should not help, then I would not exclude the possibilty that you are infected with a trojan/keylogger. Reinstall Windows and install DoxBos in first place to see if the problem is fixed and then drop me a line.