Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 21-11-2006, 04:05 AM   #1
KillerLettuce

So I've been following THIS guide to the "T" although the guide seems to have version 0.63 and I have version 0.65.

I've got all the way to the "Download and Installation of Games" section, and as far down as where it asks you to type install into the directory. When I do so it says "illegal command" and does the same for config and setup.

Also when he asks me to type "dir" twice. The same text doesn't come up as he has. I get something like 0 files 0 bytes then below that 3 dir 110,540,800 bytes free. When I type "dir" again I just get the exact same thing as the first time, unlike the author.

Whats wrong? I've been at this for about 2 hours now (not all time spent on this guide).

EDIT: Ok, well I fixed my problem and got the game working. But for some reason in the guide he says to type dir, then cd flash, then dir again. Well for me I had to type dir, cd flash, cd fb, dir. Or something close to that order. Anyone know why, and if it will be a problem installing other games?
KillerLettuce is offline                         Send a private message to KillerLettuce
Old 21-11-2006, 04:48 AM   #2
mirrorshades
Forum hobbit

The confusion may be that the screen captures and the text directions don't synch properly with each other on this page: http://www.abandonia.com/main.php?nav=games&FAQ=1

The ZIP file also has the files contained in a directory named \FB... so following the text directions (i.e. ignore the screen captures), the game will extract itself to C:\DOSBox\Cdrive\flash\fb -- this is why you had to do an additional "cd" command.

Don't get put off by the command prompt -- files and folders work more or less the same way in DOSBox that they do in Windows; you just have to decide for yourself what folder you want to have acting as the C: drive, and adjust the path names accordingly when inside DOSBox.
mirrorshades is offline                         Send a private message to mirrorshades
Old 21-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
catchaserguns
Games Master

I have learned that if you have certain games with simular names that I had to rename the folder it was in so it could run.
catchaserguns is offline                         Send a private message to catchaserguns
Old 22-11-2006, 06:37 AM   #4
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

"cd fb?"

Just out of interest, what game are you trying to play?
Old 22-11-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Flashback, apparently.

I really should write a new tutorial.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-11-2006, 10:53 AM   #6
Data
retired

if somebody can point out the exact mistake in it ?
I thought I had fixed them last time I edited the FAQ.
Old 22-11-2006, 11:38 AM   #7
LingonKungen
Forum hobbit

QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Nov 22 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]268162[/snapback]
Quote:
Flashback, apparently.

I really should write a new tutorial.
[/b]
I thought the tuturial whas good.... as long as you follow the directions to the fullest...(witch i didn´t) If you get a rpoblem you dubble check and it will be solved...(witch i did) so thx for a splendid tuturial.

QUOTE(Data @ Nov 22 2006, 12:53 PM) [snapback]268180[/snapback]
Quote:
if somebody can point out the exact mistake in it ?
I thought I had fixed them last time I edited the FAQ.
[/b]
If there is a problem with the tuturial it probably is that ppl doesn´t read it all. as i did i thought that half of the text whas enough to get it donw.... but I had to read it again.... so as long as ppl read it all there is no problem...

the onlything that could change in the tuturial is to not change the name of the original folder for the game, cause like most ppl they probably just haist trough it and get´s a miner change that confuses them.... so keep the name of flashbacks folder the name it is when u unzip it... so ppl don´t have to make the extra step...
LingonKungen is offline                         Send a private message to LingonKungen
Old 22-11-2006, 11:56 AM   #8
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

@Data: There are no problems with the guide. I used it for installing DB 0.65, and it is okay. The only problem is that KillerLettuce did a new folder for the game, thing which was not needed.
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 22-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Nope, he has extracted the directory pre-included in the archive.
The first archive of Flashback we had was simply of the files within the game directory, but it was later replaced by one uploaded by me - when I am packing an archive I make sure to have the game in a directory, so that the archive can just be unpacked on the fly into the users' games directory.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 23-11-2006, 01:11 AM   #10
Japo
Autonomous human

Isn't there a unified criterion at Abandonia about whether the . or .. game directory is zipped? Not that it matters that much...