Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 23-11-2006, 02:20 AM   #11
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

:blink:

You can't pack . or .. ... It's built in the dos directories...

If you type "cd ..", you'll lower one level in the directories...
Old 23-11-2006, 02:35 AM   #12
Japo
Autonomous human

I'm correct in the strictest sense. If you run "dir" in DOS in any directory both "." and ".." --in a directory other than the root-- show as subdirectories of the current one. That's the way DOS handled it and those subdirectories existed.

Ayway this is pointless, you knew what I mean and I bet that so did 'Horseman. For those who don't, I mean zipping either the game files and subfolders (folder=directory) from the folder they're in, or zipping the folder instead, with everything included within of course. All the zips I've downloaded here included ".", but it's true that it may cause a mess if unzipped into an existing folder instead of creating one anew. Anyway the FAQ and people's being able to know what's in the zip in advance, advise a unified criterion.
Old 23-11-2006, 07:08 AM   #13
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

QUOTE(LingonKungen @ Nov 22 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]268187[/snapback]
Quote:
the onlything that could change in the tuturial is to not change the name of the original folder for the game, cause like most ppl they probably just haist trough it and get´s a miner change that confuses them.... so keep the name of flashbacks folder the name it is when u unzip it... so ppl don´t have to make the extra step...
[/b]
I agree, although like you've said, if you go back to the tutorial and re-read it carefully most people usually get it. However, most common folk (of which I'm one) seem to find DOSBOX a little fiddly first time around, and then eventually get the hang of it
Old 23-11-2006, 10:43 AM   #14
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Anyway the FAQ and people's being able to know what's in the zip in advance, advise a unified criterion.[/b]
Well, that's true. At the same time, however, we all know what newbs might do (mass "unpack archive contents to this directory"). That's what I intended to prevent.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-11-2006, 07:49 PM   #15
Donny
Lurker

i have a problem with DOSbox.

i went through DOSbox with this:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.p...ation+of+DosBox

i get to this part:

After you've done this, you will be prompted with a Z:\. Now, just right what you wanted to call your new DOSBox drive, which as I said above, we called C. So type in C: to set it as the new drive. Hopefully, you're all set! Now, it's time to run the game. You can remember I had a game called testdriv in my oldgames folder. So, I want DOSBox to go to that folder. So type in:

C:

cd testdriv.....

the thing is...i use disk D, on it i have DOSbox file and a file caled oldish. in the oldish file i have a game(constructor). If i follow the guide i should type:

D:

cd constructor

but it doesnt work.it says: unable to change to:constructor

i dont know nothing about computers, so im extremly confused...please help, i dont know what to do
Thanks
Donny is offline                         Send a private message to Donny
Old 28-11-2006, 12:28 AM   #16
Japo
Autonomous human

Re-read the instructions, but with this in mind: drives in DOSBox are virtual not real and have no relationship with your real drives. You can for example mount D:\Games as the C: drive in DOSBox, or C:\Games as the D: drive in DOSBox. Using the letter C is a suggestion but some old games show problems in other drives.
Old 28-11-2006, 01:30 PM   #17
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

What you do is type in Dosbox:
MOUNT C D:\Oldish
Then whatever you have in the "oldish" directory will behave like if it was on your drive C.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Closed Thread