Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-04-2005, 10:42 AM   #1
Zarkumo
Game freak

I've read quite a few reviews on both games but I'm still unsure which one of the two I should buy (can't afford both games moneywise as well as timewise ).

I like both scenarios (realistic/futuristic), maybe the 40k setting a little bit better. I am more or less a SP player only, and I'v read that the Warhammer SP campaign is rather short...

What are your experiences with these two games and which one would you prefer/recommend?

(PS what I couldn't find out so far is whether there is in the WH40koW game some experience related thing like units getting better if they survive one map and are taken over to the next one, or new special attacks like in generals. Is there?)
Zarkumo is offline                         Send a private message to Zarkumo
Old 23-04-2005, 11:09 AM   #2
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

There's no carryover, and you're right the campaign is a bit short, but there's an expansion pack due for release soon which might help a lot, and DoW has the HUGE advantage of not being an enormous slice of pro-American supremacist propaganda, making it possible for me to look at the box (let alone play the game) without feeling ill...
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 23-04-2005, 11:10 AM   #3
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

I haven't played the other game so I can't comment on that.

The C&C is very good IMO. Just make sure you also get the Zero Hour Expansion...It GREATLY improves and expands the game.
The single aspect of the game is good, apart from the regular campaigns for the three sides (about 15 or so missions), you also get another 12 I think for the Zero Hour, plus the Challenge mode where you can pick any of the special generals (9) and fight each one of the other special generals (minus one depending on who you are and plus one at the end who is not playable) in order. Like a street fighter kind of game. There is also the skirmish mode that is good.
Don't get me wrong, the game is not perfect, but as far as RTS games with base building, it is my favourite. (even more than Axis and Allies RTS etc).
Of course you can try and find Emperor (dune) by westwood...

Oh,and I completely disagree about the propaganda thingy mentioned above..
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 23-04-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by efthimios@Apr 23 2005, 11:10 AM

Oh,and I completely disagree about the propaganda thingy mentioned above..
Me too, after all you had a choice between three different boxes... not EA's fault you picked the US one.
Old 23-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I've never played it, mainly because of that propaganda thing. If you want something with a real-worldy setting you could try Rise of Nations.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 23-04-2005, 11:16 AM   #6
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Rise of nations wasn't exactly realistic :blink:

I myself would by Warhammer because its newer and i just don't like it what they did to C&C
Old 23-04-2005, 11:44 AM   #7
Zarkumo
Game freak

Well, taking other games into account as well, Battle for Middle-Earth would probably be the best one around at the moment (from what I hear from friends (who are not always right )). But I'm not that much into fanatasy settings when it comes to RTS (like Warcraft, don't like it). Emperor look interesting, but it's so old I won't find it in a store (don't wanna order cause I need a game to kill some time tomorrow).
Old 23-04-2005, 11:54 AM   #8
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

But, but, but, there isn't propaganda in the game! They are making fun of all three sides all the time. And if it there was some I doubt you would find most players prefering one of the chinese or gla generals for online games.
I think you should try it and see for yourself that there isn't propaganda in this game.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 23-04-2005, 12:09 PM   #9
Zarkumo
Game freak

I wouldn't have propaganda probs anyway, as I live in Germany, which has an insanely strict censorship for violence in computer games (well, considering our past...) and such, and they changed the names of all the different groups/armies so as to make it less realistic (i.e. less reference to our current world; USA is called WLA etc etc), they also changed some of the units (I believe there are some suicide bombers or such, which they changed). Thus, I wouldn't see any connections to current world powers anyway, of course.

But well, then again I already know where to get the appropriate patch restoring EA's "freedom of speech". :evil:
Old 23-04-2005, 12:20 PM   #10
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Zarkumo@Apr 23 2005, 12:09 PM
USA is called WLA etc etc), they also changed some of the units (I believe there are some suicide bombers or such, which they changed).
That is just plain silly.