Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best Sci Fi series?
Star Trek (The original series) 5 20.00%
V (miniseries) 2 8.00%
Babylon 5 1 4.00%
Star Trek TNG 11 44.00%
Farscape 3 12.00%
Stargate SG1 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2004, 05:44 PM   #1
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Best Sci Fi series ever?

Which Sci Fi series of the ones I list do you think is the best and why?
Always interesting to see. I will post my own answer in a few days.
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 08-02-2004, 09:49 PM   #2
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well, if I had to choose between those, my vote would definitely go to TNG. However, if you had put Enterprise there, I would have given it second thought As you are a TNG fan I presume you dispise Enterprise, but I had to say it... As for the others, Babylon5 was just too "cheap" for me and couldn't keep my attention long enough. So, The Next Generation it is, dispite of all its flaws :wink:
Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 09-02-2004, 04:04 AM   #3
mika
Games Master

Hey, this is an abandonware site and V is kinda abandonware iznit?!

It's got my vote.
mika is offline                         Send a private message to mika
Old 09-02-2004, 03:46 PM   #4
Danny252
I have a custom title!

TNG!! TNG!!
Ok, I like Star Trek:Voyager best, but you forgot it :'(! But remember, there are 3 Sci-Fi fan types. The Star Trek type, the Star Wars type and the other loads of crap things type. The Star Trek and Star Wars types REALLY don't mix well though...
On another note, I've seen them all except V. Super-Mini Series.
Oh and theres a new Enterprise one which is like before Star Trek original. THE Enterprise A. anyone seen this?
Danny252 is offline                         Send a private message to Danny252
Old 09-02-2004, 05:44 PM   #5
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Actually Danny, the Enterprise A wasn't christened until the movie Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. The NCC 1701 was the one from the series. The A version had to be rechristened because the origional one was destroyed in Star Trek III: The search for Spock.

How can anyone say that Enterprise is better then TNG? Enterprise lacks one thing that is essential to any Scif Fi series, good stories. Enterprise has a high budget (more then TNG ever had let alone TOS), reasonable acting (not as good as TNG) but it has crap stories. So Godawfull it hurts to even watch them. I actually turn off one episode this season something that has never happened to me before in my whole life i.e. not any other episode of star trek did this to me. I have come close, mainly other Enterprise episodes and that bastard of a series Deep Space Nine but I always managed to watch it to the end. Not this time, similitude was too bad simply too bad. There are episodes I like but after season one these are few and far between.

Babylon 5 was never a series with a big budget. That was the main reason they choose to use CGI rather then models like TNG did. With the space sequences this is not bad. It gives a lot more movement on screen then in TNG but they also used it for planet shots and it was far too early to do that yet with the technology at the time. The stand alone episodes of B5 are bad no argument but the continueing story in B5 was enough for me to buy them all on DVD (still waiting for season 4). A great series for Sci FI.

The reason I choose not to put in other Star Trek shows like Enterprise and Voyager is three fold.
1] Since there are five different star trek shows the poll would be a little Star Trek heavy.
2] I don't think those shows are good enough to be in such a poll (I like Voyager but it is simply more TNG in my opinion. And TNG was better)
3] Not many people are going to vote so I don't want twenty options seven of which will recieve one vote. No winner).

You will likely all be surprised at my pick. It is NOT TNG. TNG is a good second but it is not the best in my opinion.

There are in fact many different Sci Fi generes other then Star Trek (the discoverie of humanity through the exploration of space) and Star Wars (a fairy tale set in Sci Fi). B5 for instance is a space opera. V was a homage to resistance fighters of WWII.
I could go on but enough of my rant. I will post my choice and the reason for it later tonight or tomorow.
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 10-02-2004, 02:11 PM   #6
Prox

TOS!!!
Prox is offline                         Send a private message to Prox
Old 11-02-2004, 09:00 PM   #7
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Now for my vote. As I have already stated my vote will not go to TNG although I think this is one of the best Sci Fi series in history and certainly the best Star Trek series I believe there is one better even then TNG.

Farscape, introduced as an obscure attempt by the sci fi channel to gain some ratings against the though competition of then DS9 and Voyager. certainly doomed to failure as yet one more nameless sci fi series no-one remembers or regrets passing. But wait! Farscape has something going for itself. While many other sci fi series bring nothing more then bland writing, mediocre acting and poor graphics, Farscape gives us the might of the whole Henson company to give the best animatronics in the business, a cast that can not only act but also manages to entertain simply by being on the screen. And the writing, ohh, the writing. Science Fiction used to be about exploring the unknown, seeing the undreamed of and experiencing the unheard. Farscape brings just that back. After seeing all four seasons of Farscape I cannot say I was ever bored, not even once. Each time I sat down in front of my television set I was treated to a delight. Never could I predict how an episode would turn out and more then once the writers managed to completely surprise me by a sudden plot twist. Always I felt shock when fourty-seven minutes later the episode ended. So soon? It can't be! But it did and even worse after only four seasons the plug was pulled on this brilliant series. License holders "the sci fi channel" choose to put on a cheaper show that appealed to the (larger) unintelligent crowed. 88 episodes is all that was made. 22 of which are now in my possession on DVD. Once I have the money I'll buy them all and recommend you all to do the same so you too can own this marvel of sci fi history.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:13 PM   #8
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I must say I never heard of it! ops:
I'll certainly check it out.... thanks for the tip!
Old 12-02-2004, 07:54 AM   #9
mika
Games Master

Damn man Picard, you write really well! You should really write a review or two..
mika is offline                         Send a private message to mika
Old 12-02-2004, 01:13 PM   #10
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

He actually did!
And you can see it in action here http://www.abandonia.com/game_display.php?ID=86